Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah" - Supro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Coldacre, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I was looking at an ebay ad for a vintage 1963 Supro 1688TN - and the seller claims that its the same amp Jeff Buckley used to record "Hallelujah". he even says you can see the amp in the video early on.

I'd always assumed it was a Vibroverb or Twin. watcha think?

2. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Very interesting. I once heard it was a Mesa of some kind. I know Jeff liked to use them live, but who knows in the studio?

3. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

Ooh Jeff... so, here is a dude that is probably not nearly recognised enough for changing the face of rock. No Jeff: no Radiohead, no Coldplay and the legion of imitators and cultural inheritors therein.

Still arguably the greatest rock male vocalist. Prone to showboating yes, but, along with Freddie and a few others, a totally transcendental - and real - voice.

Grace: an album of incredible poise and charm. Yet Jeff was a trained fusion head. By rights he should have played horrible guitar. Somehow every inch of guitar is amazing - and incredibly underplayed. There is barely a solo in the traditional sense on the whole album. I mean UNDERPLAYED. It is astonishing.

Is this just a matter of good taste, incredible self awareness, ungodly quality control... or was it the G E A R?

4. wyatt

wyatt Member

I really don't know what was used. But those large Supro reverb combos could be very clean with great, deep reverb...as far as clean tones go, some might even prefe them over the BF/SF Fenders (but they weren't made as well as the Fenders).

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Not withstanding the fact that the 1688TN is my all time favorite amp (actually...I like the tweaked out version of it I made even a little bit more), the fact that some kind of Supro that appears to look a bit like the 1688TN appears in the video says nothing about what amp was used, does it? And as much as I love it, there's nothing special about its use in that recording (to me, at any rate)...it sounds great! And so would a million other nice amps...

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

So true. The greatest artists, like Buckley, have reserves of technical and musical knowledge that are there to serve their music and vision.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. dashender7

dashender7 Member

Not sure on the Supro for this video, hard to tell, but many would look to the live at Sin-e version of Hallelujah as Jeff's definitive performance of the song, and I think I recall that was a Fender Vibrolux 90's reissue, which could lead to some confusion on this topic.

8. Coldacre

it wouldn't normally. but for the recording of "Hallelujah", they set up a camera and filmed Jeff doing multiple live takes of the song on the small soundstage at Bearsville. him singing it in the video clip is a different take to the album version, but its spot-on accurate in just about every way.

9. Coldacre

well said! I agree 100%. the man was a freak and in my top 5 guitarists of all time. anyone who can sing & play "Dreambrother" at the same time is not a mere mortal.

10. Leonc

Interesting! I didn't know that that clip was recorded that I way. I've watched a number of times in the last year or two and always assumed he was doing a great job lip syncing, LOL!

The amp sounds great, of course, it just strikes me as the kind of sound you could get from a wide variety of nice amps. I do love mine, though! Here's a shot of mine, at an angle like Jeff's in the video :)

[​IMG]

And here are a couple videos. First, here's my 1688TN.

Then, here's a clip of the amp I made for myself based on my 1688TN; I've tweaked the circuit out a bit.

I'm doing a bit more dirty stuff in these clips but the clean tones are insanely good. In 40+ years of playing probably 100 different amps, this is my favorite I wish I knew about them 40 years ago.

11. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Yeah Jeff Buckley was just insanely talented. The fact that both Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (amongst numerous others) felt he was one of the most interesting guitarists and musicians when he was alive says something.

The guy could play, sing and write the **** out of a song. He had such a great style of guitar playing. Had the chops and knew how to use them for the song.

There are very few musicians I wonder "What if he had lived..." about. But Buckley is one of them. **** he wasn't even in his "prime" yet. Just think what could have been with a few more years and albums under his belt. I mean, his debut is one of the best rock albums recorded.

I honestly do not understand how he doesn't get much more recognition around here. Oh well....

12. feet

feet Supporting Member

except its in a different key, with a different amp. :) a vibrolux of the era was my understanding, too, but i don't know what went on in the studio. not sure if anyone knows for sure. at any rate, a tele, fenderish clean and a gang of hall reverb will get you there. it doesn't take much. gearwise, anyway.

13. cram

cram Member

Fender amp here -

I'm not an expert nor do I know detail of that recorded performance.. But I know everyone better shut up if I feel like listening to it! :)

I love this guy's work - specifically about his desire to break the mold of song formula. He was inspiring.

Stupid river.

14. Coldacre

you're absolutely right, I can get a very convincing Hallelujah tone with my Tele and AC30 (Blues). its all about the front pickup and REEEEE-VEEERRRBB!
    still, Jeff is one of my fav's and its interesting to think that some of his stuff was done outside his traditional Tele/Vibro setup.

man, don't show me that stuff. its just making me crave a Supro build even more...... look out for the incoming PM's!!

different key, yes (capo up one fret) but different amp? what makes you say that? (not challenging you, you could easily be right)

15. feet

feet Supporting Member

just sounds different to me. not in a different take way, in a different setup way. youtube audio aside, i say its something other than whatever was used on the actual studio recording. maybe they were trying different amps, or different amp settings, at the very least.

or maybe it just isn't super produced, but it seems fairly different to me.

16. Leonc

Coldacre - FWIW, there's no reverb in the 1688TN. Putting it nicely ;) -- reverb was not Valco's strong suit. I'm not a big fan of the reverb-equipped Valcos that I've heard but I have only heard a couple....Not even because the reverb is between "ok" and "kinda cruddy", but because the rest of the circuit seems to suffer, particularly when compared to their non-reverb amps.

17. Coldacre

so their reverb sucks? ha ha, fair enough. I wouldn't buy a Supro for its reverb anyway. overdriven tones are where its at!

btw - check out Jeff singing a different take of the song "Grace". this one is 100% live. phenomenal singing

18. Leonc

The guy sure had a talent...man!!

19. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

THIS. I would be very interested to know what someone like Bob Dylan (i.e. an extremely knowledgeable writer) thinks of Jeff's linear approach. Certainly a massive influence on me... now where did I leave those Bob pills...

Yeah. Sheeeeeeeeeet. Every time I see a decent sized river I think "what the f*** was he thinking?"

20. xroads

xroads Member

As long as there is no documented confirmation that this VERY amp with serial # was used for the recording, there is little you can do to verify this claim. In short, I would not pay a premium for an amp like this...