Jeff Gordon retiring - (cue NASCAR haters)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ACfixer, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Jeff Gordon announcing he's retiring from full time driving after this year, which makes this the last year he'd be able to win another championship. An amazing racing career by anyone's standard.

Man, I am old. I've watched his entire career.

RCM78, Barnzy and CRAIG4FSU like this.
  2. JMC

JMC Member

Saw him at the last race in Dallas last year during the Chase - he had the best car on the track and should have won the race. He was flying compared to the other cars out there.

3. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Yeah you gotta figure...

4. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I don't watch too much NASCAR, but this makes me feel old. In my young adulthood, he was THE man in race car driving, along with Schumacher in F1.

5. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

That schedule has got to be a grind. Very little time off.

I don't pay much attention to it at all, but I know they run from mid-Feb to (?)November, then go into testing. I can't imagine there's much time off. It seems like a constant tour.

I have to imagine he's financially set for several generations.

With the decline of popular coverage of NASCAR, at least this shouldn't be as relentlessly monotonous as the Jeter farewell.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Don't pay attention to car racing so this is possibly a stupid question, but is 43 considered old in the sport?
    -
    Austin

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Now maybe he can finally turn right :p

J/K, dude had a hell of a run, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

derekd likes this.
  8. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Not so much really, but it's getting up there. Let's face it most of us would have taken that turn at a higher rate of speed when we were 20 than when we were 40. ;) I think the thought of mortality and raising his children has to enter into it.

derekd likes this.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Oh man, I figured he'd race forever. But, I read these comments earlier this week on Jayksi:

Q) Can you update us about your back spasms?
    Gordon: "It's not worth talking about. Nothing has changed since last year. It's an ongoing process for me to maintain it. It's not something I'm just going to fix. It's not something I can do and all of a sudden my back will be healed. Other than what happened at Charlotte, it didn't hinder me or my performance throughout the whole 2014 season."(Daytona Beach News Journal)(1-21-2015)

When I read that I thought it sounded like he was discouraged and sick of his back constantly hurting, which I can understand. He's got more money than he knows what to do with as it is, I'd retire as well.

derekd likes this.
  10. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Dammit Peterson- beat me to it. Was just going to post...

I hope his new career is a turn in the right direction.

mojocaster.com likes this.
  11. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

These days, yes. His replacement just graduated high school last year.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

It is now. I think Matt Kenseth is the oldest guy to win a race last year, followed by Dale Jr. Everybody else (in contention) is in their 20's!

You don't have the Harry Gant's, Dale Sr's, Richard Petty's, and Dick Trickle's out there anymore.

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah, after a while you'd probably want to mellow out a bit, I know I would if I had all the money I needed and a fam to spend time with. Maybe he could be a team owner or move in that direction. :dunno

14. mge80

mge80 Member

You're WAY off. About pretty much all of it.

First of all, Matt Kenseth was winless last year. Also, the guy who is the subject of this thread won multiple races last year (age 43), last season's Champion, Kevin Harvick, is 39. Among the other guys "in contention", Greg Biffle is 45, Ryan Newman is 37, Kurt Busch is 36, Jimmie Johnson is 39, Carl Edwards is 35, Kasey Kahne is 34, Denny Hamlin is 34, Brad Keselowski is 30.

All of these listed drivers qualified for NASCAR's "postseason" and therefore are considered "contenders". In fact, the only "contenders" who are in their 20s are Kyle Busch (29) and Joey Logano (24).

As for Jeff Gordon, I think he tried to make it work through the end of 2016, but his back wasn't going to allow it. Plus, it makes for a seamless transition to Chase Elliott in "his" car (it won't be the #24, though) and Jeff Gordon will move into his planned executive role at HMS.

He already is. He has an equity stake as a partner with Rick Hendrick at HMS, where he will continue to be active in a management role.

15. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I didn't realize Biffle was that old (45).

16. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I've always liked Jeff Gordon and always pulled for him over so many years. And to think of how darn close he got to being in contention at the final Chase race last year. He could have won it all last year (darn #2.....), hopefully the Rainbow Warriors are as strong this year.

17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Where did you come up with that? Not even in the ballpark.

18. mge80

mge80 Member

Born Dec 23, 1969. :aok

I think it just took him a while to make it to the Cup level, so it seems like he hasn't been around that long.

19. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Gordon was also one of the best road racers in Nascar.

20. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Yep, it was pretty much him or Stewart for quite a few years... but it's become such a big deal to win a race for sponsors that pretty much all of the cup drivers are really good on the road courses now. The days of car owners bringing in a road ringer for the cup races are for the most part gone.