Jeff Healey - IMO the most "amazing" electric guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Feb 3, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Listen with my eyes closed and I hear one of the grittiest and tastiest blues players I've heard. Decent voice as well.

Open my eye and watch and it's a real OMG moment.

A real loss to the world when he passed.

Here are two songs with Jeff playing with two other "unburdened" masters of the guitar.

2. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Jeff has been one of my favorite guitar players since the first time I heard him. Fantastic player!

Budman

3. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Love the tone and the intensity he brings. Amazing player, indeed.

4. Phila67

Phila67 Member

Saw him at the Ritz in NYC in '89 or '90. Glad I caught him live. It was really surreal watching him play the way he did. He was no novelty act--it was real music with top musicianship and he deserves a place among the greats. I was supposed to see SRV shortly after but never took the time to get the tickets figuring that I could always check him out next year as he toured frequently back then...

5. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

Jeff was simply fantastic. He was a great Toronto boy that I got to see play a few times. But the best show I ever saw guitar wise was the "night of the guitar" at the Coliseum here in Toronto – Jeff Healey opening for Jeff Beck and a clean Stevie Ray Vaughn just before he died. It was pretty amazing and I went home with a mixture of total inspiration and simultaneously wanting to shoot myself in the temple.

He was a host on the radio here for some vinyl shows and he had a legendary collection of old blues and was extremely extremely knowledgeable about the subject. Really good guy.

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Jeff Healey was great, it's that simple.

His cancer was terrible, it took his eyes when young and took his life in the end, a lifetime of dealing with the disease. What he accomplished with that pressure was simply amazing, he must have had such an inner strength to pull it off. I am very happy that he got to realize that he made it. Bravo.

7. monty

monty Member

Just a fantastic player. His first album was huge to me.

8. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Great player. You can always hear him in his playing - a lot of emotion and effort.
    His version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps blows away every other version. So much feeling in it.

9. dazco

dazco Member

Great great player, and also a testament to how good those MIJ squier strats are. Sad to see 2 greats like that sharing the stage and realizing both are gone long before their time.

10. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Jeff Healy was one of the greats IMO.

11. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

One of my favorites since the first album. He was so distinct. One note and you could tell it was him. Great singer as well.

I also dug him with his jazz group (and I'm not much of a jazz fan to be honest). He was an accomplished trumpet player and was very well-versed in early jazz and blues.

12. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

One of my top 5 favorites honestly.

Also, makes Roadhouse bearable watching. ;)

13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

That version of "See The Light" where he's playing in front of a TV talk show still blows me away with all the energy he puts into it. Even the bass player was knocked out.

I think it's this one with Dr. John on keyboards:

14. Jaddy

Jaddy Member

I was in a jazz club years and years ago watching a friend perform with a big band and Jeff walked in with a trumpet and was led straight to the stage and started to play. My friend told me after the show that he'd done the same a couple of weeks earlier except that time he was tripping on acid (Jeff, not my friend)..

Jaddy

15. woof*

woof* Member

Excellent!
    He gave us so much, including a sixteen year old Philip Sayce, who he took on the road with him. You can really see how much he influenced him too.

16. VonRecktoven

VonRecktoven Member

Got to see The Jeff Healey Band at the Stone Pony while they were supporting the album "Feel This"....
    Jeff had an aluminum stand that they put his guitar on so that he could stand and play for some of the set....He was a tall dude....
    Of course, some knuckleheads at the 'Pony were tossing a beach ball around during the set, and it hits Mr. Healey right in the head while he was playing... So embarrassing to be in the place...

But yeah, he was the real deal, a great blues tone, and his voice was very recognizable, enough later in his career when he did the Aamco Transmission shop radio jingles....

A sad loss along with SRV indeed.

Franz in NJ

17. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Yup...great player with great tone...

18. speedemon

speedemon Member

19. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Incredible talent