Jeff McErlain w/ Robben Ford - new album “ Now”

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by AD, Jul 14, 2019.

1. AD

AD Supporting Member

a big fan of JM and the lessor known Ford..........New album sounds great and really dig the slow ambient/blues song “Marta”.

Here’s an uptempo clip from the album live with the RF band.

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Is this the one that's been out for a while?

3. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Jeff's obviously a great player! Anyone who plays with Robben...It's a stark contrast in the crispness of the "Time" subdivisions in the soloing. Jeff had some issues as it sounded like he was stretching to the edge of his abilties on a few of those licks...but good for him! I know during the Bass solo....I and most of you were just waiting for Robben to come back in and unload. But he didn't. Gave the stage to Jeff.

jmcerlain likes this.
  4. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Listened to his CD this morning, it sounds good. McErlain is great player, diffrent from Robben Ford for sure, but he can hold his own.

Washburnmemphis and jmcerlain like this.
  5. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments guys! It's been quite a year or so since we started the project and did the record. We are very happy with the end result. Of course it's awesome working with Robben as he's always been a hero of mine. What's cooler is he's become one of my good friends. He's so generous as you saw in the clip above by giving me plenty of room all night. The clip posted isn't my favorite of the tour as it was early on, faster tempo than usual, and working it all out. Of course that's the one that gets posted! Oh well! As well all know Robben isn't too into people filming the gigs, so there were many moments that I wish people were!

I can say working with Robben, Toss Panos, Jimmy Haslip, and Brian Allen has really taken me to another level. I know Robben gets some flack around here, my experience with him has been fantastic. He is one of the coolest and most generous people I know. I've learned a ton from him in so many ways but it's been a nice reciprocal relationship as well. One thing, as amazing as we all know he is, he's even better.
    Although Robben isn't in this clip, it is the song "Marta" from the record from the Umbria Blues Festival in Italy. I was on the bill with Josh Smith and Ariel Posen.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Great to see you on the Board Jeff! I've had the opportunities to be wih Robben for a day, and later a few times just chat. I really think he get's a bit of a bum rap sometimes. I read him as someone who is cautious until he has a feel for what your motivation is for starting a conversation...get the feeling he's been burnt a few times. I got to go a little beyond the superficial...and found him to be very generous and motivational when he knows your aim is true. Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Rock on!

jmcerlain likes this.
  7. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Supporting Member

Thank you. You have him exactly!

Banditt likes this.