Jefferson Airplane, live (1970)

townsend

From Wally Heider studios, 30 minutes of live footage, of the classic line-up in full flight.

The sonic signature was created by everyone -- Grace and Marty trading off lead singing and harmonizing;
Paul Kanter's Rickenbacker 12-string on rhythm, Jorma Kaukonen's psychedelic and waw-tinged leads on a Gibson 335 (and other guitars), Jack Cassady's melodic bass, and kinetic rhythm by drummer Spencer Dryden. What a band!

Lava Lamp

I saw them in January 1970 at the Anaheim Convention Center for my 17th birthday - great show. Opening acts were Hot Tuna and It's A Beautiful Day. My girlfriend got me a nice pair of bell-bottom slacks and a velour shirt to wear to the show. I'm sure I fit in with my ROTC short haircut. o_O I remember being aggravated by some hippie standing on a chair in front of me doing a free-form dance, blocking my view. Such were the times.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Saw them in the summer of 1970 without Marty and with Papa John Creech on fiddle. It was the tour in support of the 'Bark' album. I was 15 and after the show, my friends and I sauntered backstage and hung out with Jorma, Jack and Papa John. Great memory.

These days, Marty has an art studio here in St. Augustine.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite band up through '75. Then I became a total deadhead.

Saw them many times. I had so many pictures of the Airplane on my walls when I was a kid that my mom called it my Grace Slick wallpaper. I had a huge crush on Grace when I was a kid.

In the 90's Grace signed the Long John Silver album cover that I had made into a joint rolling tray when I was a kid. It had resin all over it and she cracked wise about it and the fact that I didn't look like I smoked weed (I was dressed in my "uniform," a businessman's suit). I told her she didn't either. We had a good laugh.

sixty2strat

Too young to see them then but did see a reunion in 87 pretty dam good show but not as loose. Always loved bless it pointed little head....such anger n energy. They were the one San Fran band I always liked best.

dougb415

I used to be in a band that rehearsed in that studio for a couple years (the bass player was the studio mgr). It was pretty wild being in the same room where they recorded "White Rabbit".

Trending Topics