Jennifer Turner on Natalie Merchant's "Carnival"

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I love the guitar work by Jennifer Turner on the Carnival song off of Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily. Very tasteful playing and super tone.

Anybody know what kind of guitar/amp/effects she was using on that to get that crisp distortion?

PaulE

When I saw them on SNL she had a PRS and a Marshall.
Sounded amazing.
One of my all time favorite albums.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I just ordered Furslide's "Adventure" CD, w/ Turner on guitar. Never heard it before. Anybody?

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I've always liked the lead in that song. It's just on that edge where OD meets distortion, never crossing over but building a level of suspense as if it's going to any second. Yes, tasteful is a perfect adjective for it.

gls500

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, that album came out when I read the guitar newgroups, and I think the talk was that she used PRS, Fulltone FD2, and a Marshall of some sort.

v-verb

I had the PRS she used. Traded it (with other stuff) for a Les Paul conversion years ago.

It was a custom 22 proto # 2 - braz board, trem, burst. IIRC Matt said she used a Fender DR on that album?

kingsxman

I just ordered Furslide's "Adventure" CD, w/ Turner on guitar. Never heard it before. Anybody?

I've got that cd. Nothing special...although there are a few good songs. (But no guitar songs). I've also got the one by her band "Inner". Same thing. Tons of talent but she doesnt seem to want to go down the path of playing much guitar. Kind of a disappointment really after what she did with Natalie Merchant. She's on her own path doing what she loves I guess.

The playing on "Carnival" is really soulfull and very choice, I always dig that song when I hear it! I have always been a big fan of Natalie Merchant, totaly dig her stuff.

Top Bottom