Jennifer Turner on Natalie Merchant's "Carnival"

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah that Tigerlily album was Sexay. Good job teching on that one, diamond mill!

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Great album start to fiinsh. Gutar tones. bass, everything, production was stellar

Braunzo

I remember hearing this song when I was a kid and really digging it, then one of the (now defunct, like most interesting radio stations in this area) alternative radio stations played this and I fell back in love with it. The guitar playing is phenomenal. That's one of those Top 10 Tone moments for me. The dynamic playing really works well with the amps in how they're breaking up. I love it!

soapbarp90

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, I used to be able to come close to getting Jennifer's tone on Tigerlily playing a 92 PRS Artist through an early Dr. Z Prescription and using an original Full Drive. It would always put a huge smile on my face playing that stuff (at home).
I saw that tour live and Jennifer was the highlight of the show for me.

Resonance7

Tigerlily is amazing. But wow, Natalie and Jen Turner's guitar were just an unbelievable combination. One to remember...always

M'taieyah

I know Jen from the wild NYC day's of the early 90's, CBGB's The Wetlands Preserve Club,etc... she was in a funk band called "Marmalade" with her good friend Jason, they both played guitar, to me Tiger Lily sounds like Marmalade, the conga player is also from that group, some of the best memories of those heady Manhattan days, Her new bands are called " Here We Go Majic" where she play's bass , and "Thrillonaire" where she is playing guitar, Jen is a true soul of purity without being a prude.:JAM

jms6668

I know Jen from the wild NYC day's of the early 90's, CBGB's The Wetlands Preserve Club,etc... she was in a funk band called "Marmalade" with her good friend Jason, they both played guitar, to me Tiger Lily sounds like Marmalade, the conga player is also from that group, some of the best memories of those heady Manhattan days, Her new bands are called " Here We Go Majic" where she play's bass , and "Thrillonaire" where she is playing guitar, Jen is a true soul of purity without being a prude.:JAM
I used to admire her from afar :D

I also really dug her band Furslide. Played on a few bills with them, Good Times.

Strato62

ok - just discovered "Wonder" on letterman show. Jennifer Turner is awesome on this. I was a young father, wrapped up in all that goes with it when Tigerlily came out - missed a lot of music that I am now discovering. Always been a fan of Natalie Merchant, and this combination of musicians is fantastic.

Hefalump

i recommended jen for the natalie gig. she told me that she had been playing guitar for 3-4 years. i imagine that you knew her from (dead) tour.
Thank you for doing that, Jennifer is absolutley fantastic on that album!!!!

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't listened to that song in years. I used to play it in a cover band with a girl singer back in the 90s.

The groove is what makes that song. The guitar playing is perfect for that tune as well. Especially the use of space in the solo. The backup vocals at the end are a nice touch.

mapleneck72

If it wasn't for a post about women guitarists that looks like it has since been deleted, I wouldn't have found this video.
I played in a band in SF that opened for Inner many years ago and remember she was a nice person.
I had seen her live in Furslide before but didn't make the connection that it was her until I saw her play a Les Paul into a Bogner combo.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
If it wasn't for a post about women guitarists that looks like it has since been deleted, I wouldn't have found this video.
I played in a band in SF that opened for Inner many years ago and remember she was a nice person.
I had seen her live in Furslide before but didn't make the connection that it was her until I saw her play a Les Paul into a Bogner combo.
Loved that video. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the only current singing on it is Jen's.

Trending Topics