Jensen c12n vs Eminence Red Fang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JimLamme, Dec 19, 2009.

1. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

Hi all,

I've been on a bit of a speaker swap project lately and was comparing the two of them using the same amp (Carvin vintage 33), but into different cabinets.

I cant believe it but of the two of them, I actually prefer the speaker that few other people like, ie the C12n!

The Jensen is in the vintage 33 combo while the Red Fang is in a cheapo mdf cabinet of about the same size. The Jensen I've had for a few year while the Red Fang a year or so. I hear the Jensen as having a better bass response (ie louder). I guess the bass is more determined by whether its broken in and the kind of cab its in. But the Jensen is also brighter and clearer than the red fang.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my Red Fang. Perhaps its not broken in enough? Or the cab is muffling the highs?

Anyone have tried both before and would like to comment on the sound of the two speakers?

Cheers!

2. Dodge

Dodge Guest

Two very different speakers for me, and I know both reasonably well - assuming you mean the C12N reissue, and not an original.

The RF does have less bass that the C12N (reissue) but both are quite bright speakers. For me, I prefer the smoother treble of the RF than the harder brightness of the C12N. The only fair comparison would be to try both in the same cabinet, but I don't think there's anything wrong with your description to suggest you have a duff RF. Remember you will be getting some natural compression with the alnico speaker as opposed to the ceramic dynamics of the C12N.

My experience with the RF's is that they do take a bit to break them in, but a year of playing should certainly have achieved that!

3. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

Hey Dodge,

I'm so glad someone has experience has tried both speakers. I was afraid no one uses a C12N these days and therefore wouldn't know what to say about it.

Yes I was referrring to the C12N reissue thats made in italy. I know few other people like it but I do. Maybe because its been in my main amp for the longest time and I kinda got used to the tone. Like I mentioned, I also like bright. My rationale is you can make a bright amp or guitar less bright but you cant make a muddy amp more bright.

All goid points you made and sound reasonable. Maybe I'll just have to get used to, and expect the differences between the two speakers.

One thing I noticed, there is black shiny goopy layer on the edge of the Red Fang speaker cone. Is that what Weber would refers to as 'dope' and if so, thats why the fang needs such a long time to break in?

Thanks.

4. Dodge

Dodge Guest

C12N reissues aren't bad speakers, I think the biggest criticism I hear is that they don't sound remotely like old C12N's - but it doesn't make them bad!

I had a C12N in an amp not a million miles away from a BF Deluxe and I ended up swapping it for an Emi Cannabis Rex - for me, it was a better sounding speaker and it turned me on to the Red Fang which I have that in a Vox-esque amp and for that it's perfect. I get all the sag the AC30 is famous for, and the lovely top end really suits the RF.

I don't know anything about the circuit design of your amp - if it sounds more Fender-y that Vox-y then it wouldn't be a surprise if you prefer the C12N. Like the Celestion Blue, the RF doesn't work with every amp. In the same way you might not get the desired results with a C12N in a Marshall stack!

Yes, the black goo around the edge is speaker doping, used to control the extension of the cone when pushed. The more you use it, the more it'll 'give' and the speaker generally will improve in tone. It still might not be to your liking though, so if you've used it heavily over the last year it's probably not going to change. You could remove the doping, which some people like to do - although you might get it suffering from cone cry afterwards.

Ultimately, the best speaker for you is the one you like the most! :)

All the best,

Dodge