Jensen Jet series Tornado Neo's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trout, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Trout

Trout Member

I just got a couple of the new Jensen Jet Series " Tornado" Neo Speakers.

I purchased a couple of the 12/100's and so far I can only say 1 word.

"FINALLY", a new Jensen that breaks the mold

I installed it in my favorite test bed amp (Richter 5E3) fired it up and can honestly say the differences are AMAZING. The Tornado has a much more enhanced midrange, the highs are very creamy when pushed, yet seem to stay very defined. The bottom end seems deeper.

I took a couple photos of the cone difference posted below. IMO this speaker may well be a great alternative speaker for amps other than Fenders also. I feel it clearly heads into Celestion type tones.

2 noteworthy differences are the doping and the cone texture both front and rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The New textured black matte finish is also fairly appealing.

Hopefully I will get a few A/B clips later this week since I am on vacation and just doing the old hang out locally thing.

2. albuht813

albuht813 Member

nice! please do demos. I just bought a pair of the original neos 2 months ago and I'm curious of the differences between the two.

3. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

I just installed a Jensen Neo in my Rambler and am trying it out at an outside gig this weekend.

4. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

about the same price as the neo?

5. Trout

Trout Member

Antique Electronics (http://www.tubesandmore.com/) Has them for $164.50. I would expect them to retail around $125.00 +/- as soon as they trickle down to the dealers.
    TAD has them listed for 112.00 Euro's

The original 12/100 Neo's were in the same range when they first came out.

6. Trout

Trout Member

Ok, my brother and I spent 7 hours today trying to get clips that represent how "the amp" sounds while sitting there in his recording area.

Problem is, we can get awesome sounding recordings, yet they just do not capture the amazing ambience & tone exactly.

The difference in the 2 speakers is indeed significant, but the actual recordings just do not give us the total picture.

The closest we came was running an SM57 close mic'd, and a condenser mic facing away from the amp. Neither of us were 100% satisfied with the end product, but it was very very close. After 7 solid hours today, we decided to try again in a couple days when our ears are fresh.

BTW, the Jensen Tornado is clearly superior. We try'd Single coil, & Humbucker equipped guitars as well as a couple piezo acoustic guitars.

In every case, The Tornado was a significant improvement.
    When it comes to pure Rock N Roll tone, these babies are smokin.

7. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Any new thoughts on the Jensen Tornado Trout?

8. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I'm anxiously watching this thread, as I'm going to be ordering a Richter 5E3 within the next week or so. Sara says she has the Tornado Neos in stock, and it's just a $25 upcharge; I think I'm going to go with it, but I'd sure like to hear Trout's clips! :AOK

9. Trout

Trout Member

I have run the heck out of the Tornado, it is bullet proof in the 5E3! I still have no clips, my recording skill absolutely sucks!
    I do not know if it is because the room is to small, we are running to loud,the mic's suck? SM57's.

I just can not seem to capture the essence of what we hear when we are standing there playing.

One thing certan, the Tornado will most likely be in this amp a long long time.

Edit,

I have not given up trying to get clips recorded, I just have not gotten a quality clip yet.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Since you're having issues with recording, can you use words to describe the characteristics and differences between more well known speakers you've tried?

:munch

11. DaveG

:agree Also, how are the clean tones on the Tornado?

12. Trout

Trout Member

I have the speaker in a 5E3 so cleans are limited somewhat.
    My impression was as follows.

Cleans,
    Original Neo Highs, tend to be Ice Picky and over the top articulate (Great for live use a bit harsh for home)

Tornado Neo Highs, are smoother more Blue or Greenbackish, still articulate but not over the top.

Original Neo Mids, once again, a great rock N roll growl but a bit harsh.the Mids seem scooped a bit or perhaps overwhelmed by the high end.

Tornado Neo Mids, Mids seem a bit more dominate, excellent bark and articulation yet not as harsh. I get more of a Celestion blues & rock vibe.

Original Neo Bass, after 250+ hours my original Neo sounds as tight as ever. The bass notes are very strong, very dominate and tight. This may be in part due to excessive edge doping.

Tornado Neo Bass. well defined but not nearly as tight. I feel/hear it as being smoother and better balanced.

Overall I find the Tornado smoother and better balanced. I get the impression that the increased mids contribute a lot to the overall sound.

I still love the original Neo for what it is, Loud and in your face. For a person who gigs with an amp like a 5E3, it is perfect for cutting through the mix and noise on stage.
    For guys who need something with amazingly well balanced tone, The Tornado fills the bill well. Live it can still shine, but it is not as over the top as the original.

If I was not having so much fun with it in my 5E3, I would drop it in an extension cab and try it on a different style amp. I am guessing it would be really solid in the 45W Marshall style amp.

13. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

These sound like awesome speakers. You got me when you said they vibe a little like GB and Blues. Just what I'm looking for in my MOJO 1X12 oversize for grab and go. And with the lighter magnet that would be cool.

14. DaveG

Thanks for the in-depth comparison, Trout, that really helped me make up my mind on the Tornado. It sounds like a great match for the 5E3, and what I'm looking for; I'm going to be ordering my amp in a few days, I'll have Sara put a Tornado in it. :AOK

15. hardys

hardys Member

How is the low end on the Tornado compared to some popular ceramic speakers like the Celestion G12H or G12-65? I like fat low end!

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

If you like a british sound speaker with a fat low end, I can say that the ASW KTS60 is all that. Great speaker.

DS

17. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I put one in my Richter 5E3 this afternoon. The jury is still out. My original speaker was a Jensen Neo, but it shorted out. I tried an Eminence Lil' Texas Neo, a Celestion Vintage 30, and most recently a Jensen C12K. I usually think I'm a certified tone freak, but for the life of me, I couldn't say which speaker I like best. One day I cycled all three through the amp trying to pick a winner. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the C12K. It sounded just fine to my ears. It kept together pretty well on the low end, and everything else was pretty well defined too. So far the Tornado at first listen didn't sound as good to me. It seemed darker overall, and not as tight a bottom end as the C12K. I tried a L.P. with WCR pickups, a PRS McCarty Soapbar, and a Strat with the Fender SCN pick-ups. The Strat sounded the best with the Tornado. The LP and PRS sounded great through the C12K, but i didn't like either as much through the Tornado. I like to try and get as transparent a tone as possible when turning guitar vol. pot settings down, and some bite when they're rolled up. I don't set the amp for the extra sag and compression you get when you roll the channel volume way up. I usually keep the Chan. 2 pot between 7-10 o'clock, sometimes using the chan. 1 control to clean things up a bit.
    For all I know I'll go fire it up tomorrow and get an entirely different reaction.

18. Trout

Trout Member

Pretty much where I was going also,

I pick up more of A British vibe than any Jensen I ever tested. If your looking for traditional often overly bright tone, The Tornado might not be the solution.

However, now that I have a load of hours on it, I am very impressed with the smoother creamier tone and find it nicer at home cranked.

19. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

So out of the Neo 12, Tornado and the Lil' Texas which would you recommend for an amp that lacks bass and has bright/ice pick top end

20. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

FYI...I found the new Jensen Tornado for a decent price...$112

http://www.aiconsol.com/tornado12.html

Dang, I'd like to hear this in my Hot Rod Dlx...but I just picked up a Emi RWB to try...oh well...in a month or so I'll be looking to taste again.