Jensen Neo 100 speaker arrived...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reaiken, Oct 8, 2006.

1. reaiken

reaiken Member

Okay, so the guy at CE distribution has been hounding me to buy some Jensen speakers for quite awhile, and since I have a closet full of really cheesy-sounding Jensen reissues that I wasted my money on, I've been telling him I wasn't interested in hearing anything more from Jensen unless it sounded like a Greenback :). He called and offered me a 30-day free trial of a Neo 100 8 ohm speaker, with paid shipping both ways if I don't like it, so I took him up on the offer.

I finally had time this evening to load it into a 2x12 closed-back cab paired with an 8-ohm reissue Greenback, wired in series for 16 ohms. I haven't had time to really crank it, but so far at low volumes with a preamp-distortion-based amp, it sounds rather good, much better than I expected, and compares very favorably with the Greenback. It certainly weighs a lot less, and the 100W rating is very cool. I was expecting a very bright, harsh speaker, and it is definitely not that at all.

I'll post more after I get a chance to do some critical listening tests in this cab and in an open-backed combo.

Randall Aiken

2. Skip62

Skip62 Member

I bought an 8 ohm for a 1x12 cab I have. After playing it for a couple hours I bought 2 16 ohm's for a 2x12...Love these things. I hate harsh and/or screechy, and these show signs of either.

3. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I just bought two for my Bandmaster Cab and am very happy with them. They replaced 2 C12N Reissues.

4. webs

webs Supporting Member

For those who use these speakers- are they a compromise between tone and weight or do they just sound the best to you?

Would you recommend these in an AC30-type amp or are they too 'American' sounding?

5. Trout

Trout Member

I bought 20 of them a bit back, A friend got 1 from me but Blew it in under 2 hours use in a Fender Performer 650 65watter. I have no idea how or what he did to blow it. Sounds like the coil pulled loose. Rattles and buzzes bad and outputs low. Coil reads right on meter though.

I have been running them like crazy and they are GRRrrrrrrrrrrreat!!
    One of if not the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.

I have them in My old Seymour Duncan 100W convertable as well as several Richter amps. They are fine indeed.
    Trout

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had the first gen version in a pv C30 for a few years and it's superb at both clean and dirt. I just took delivery of one of the new ones (they have been redesigned and hopefully that's what you got, Randall) and I'm chomping at the bit to get it loaded up with some of my higher power tube amps (Fargen, Soul o 45 and as an ext for my Meteor 2). I expect to like it :).

jon

7. reaiken

reaiken Member

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure they look the same, Randall. You might ask your guy.

jon

9. reaiken

reaiken Member

Heh...he wants to sell me speakers, I wonder if he'd tell me if they were old stock? :) I'll have to check for a date code. Either way, so far, it sounds good...

RA

10. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

So....Does anyone knoow if there are 10"`s for guitar out on the market ?

11. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't two-rock use this speaker in some of their cabs? They seem to shy away from anything with ice pick treble.

Randall aned Jon how is the feel / touch response of the speaker compared to greenbacks? Have you tried any of the Eminence -Red, White and Blue or Tonespotter, etc.?

12. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Has anyone tried any of the Jenson MOD speakers?

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Jon, definitely post your review of the new one ASAP. RA makes wonderful amps but I know from experience that my tastes in these things are closer to your own. :)

14. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Hey Webs, I bought mine with disregard to weight. It's the best sounding speaker I've tried, the lower weight is just a bonus for me.

dbeeman, as I understand it, Two-Rock did use them for a while, then switched to 12-65 Fane I think, then came up with there own TR12-65.
    It's reported John Mayer was using them at the Crossroads festival with the Two-Rock

15. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

any updates ?

wondering how this would work out in my Rambler.

hmm, a 100 watt speaker in a 28/14 watt amp ?

16. 52who

52who Member

17. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

Darn it, he was calling me once a week on he Neo's. Guess I should have bought a few. Now they are hawking the Jensen Mods. Never heard one, but the price is extremely right.

I told him it needed to be comparable to an Emmy RW&B or Celestion CL80 to get my interest...:)

Gary

18. Trout

Trout Member

Yep, AES/CE has a fairly good deal on mods now also.
    A guy I know wanted a bigger cab version of the Champ AA764 so he got Richter Amplification to build him one in a 5E3 cab, Dropped in the Jensen Mod MOD12-50W-8ohm and he loves it. Much fuller bodied sound than the average champ.
    Was not much increase in total output though, This is a less efficient speaker than I would prefer to use. But it does have a nice Chime/Ring to it. The bass is tight, Mids are solid but it does soften the feel of the distortion/overdrive at higher levels. The guy that bought it is more a Jazz & Blues player and really liked to overall sound.

Jensen is really starting to become another great viable option in guitar speakers again which is actually a good thing. It will help keep the others a bit more honest and push R & D to levels we have not seen in years.
    Trout

19. Skip62

Skip62 Member

My Champ pushes it just fine, sounds great.

20. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I really like my Jensen Neos, no ice pick highs at all and really warm and rich in clean and overdrive. The lack of weight sure is nice too! These speakers seem quite sensitive to me and I would love to try them in the '71 Twin that is gathering dust without speakers in my office. They seem to hold up well at very high volumes without compressing much which I really like, a great all around speaker imho.