Jensen Neo Vs. Tonkerlite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slegros, Apr 18, 2008.

1. slegros

slegros Member

I'm thinking of trying one these 2 speakers in a 2xel84 combo. Any opinions?

2. doc

doc Member

I've used the Neos and like 'em. They're very transparent and well balanced. If you want an uncolored (EV or JBL) type sound, go for the Neo. I haven't played the Tonkerlite, but I've read reports by some who've played both that it has a bit more color and leans a little toward a British sound and breaks up slightly, which might be better depending on what you want to use it with. The Tonkerlite usually is cheaper, and I think both are good, high quality speakers. The Tonkerlite is made in Kentucky and the Neo in Italy if that means anything to you.

3. Category 5

Category 5 Member

+ one on neo vs tonkerlite. We use neo's in our amps as standard speakers now. Tonkerlite is as described above-we didn't like it but then YMMV.

DonR

4. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I was just going to post a question about the Jensen Neo's vs. the Celestion Neo's. I have a '69 Pro Reverb that I would like to attempt shedding a few pounds. Also how do these Neos compare to Ceramic or Alnico speakers?

5. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Neo's sit in the middle between alnico and ceramic. Don't have any experience with the celestions.

DOnR

6. EBGB

EBGB Member

As of today I have a Jensen Neo 12 in my Fender Rivera Concert.

I would say the sound improved 40% over the cardboardy original speaker.

And the weight is reduced by a few pounds.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Haven't tried the Tonkerlite.

7. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair of Tonkerlites in my Twin Reverb Reissue and love them, had an amp a year ago with the Jensen Neo's and although they are fine they didn't sound as good to my ear as the Tonkerlites. I now like my Twin alot because it weighs alittle less than 50 lbs, plus I wanted to play it in smaller places so I switched the V2 tube to a 12AY7 and now the amp is warmer and I run the volume between 4-7 and it is pefect, I can even get the Twin to breakup slightly without the soundman yelling at me.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I love the Jensen Neo's. Keep in mind they are warm speakers without a peaky treble response. If you want maximum sparkle or chime they might not be the best choice. If you have an annoyingly bright amp or your distortion sounds like a jar of bees the Neo will work wonders.