Jensen P10R Reissue or Weber 10A125?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Apr 15, 2016.

Jensen P10R Reissue or Weber 10A125?

1. Jensen P10R Reissue

38.1%
  2. Weber 10A125

61.9%
  1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If you had to choose between just these two speakers, which one sounds the closest to an original Jensen P10R, in your opinion?

2. ES330

ES330 Member

Jensen P10R

Never been a fan of Weber alnico
    Though I do like Weber ceramic

sideman likes this.
  3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Maybe some haven't actually heard a real, original P10R? A single original P10R has a bright sound, not a lot of low end and breaks up very early.

The Weber I tried had a little darker tone with a little more low end so I can see how many could prefer it's sound. The Jensen doesn't sound exactly like an original P10R either but in my opinion, it sounds closer than the Weber.

Rhythm Rocker and es137p like this.
  4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

may want to also try the jupiter alnico

Im super impressed with my 10SC

Figaro likes this.
  5. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Gotta say neither because I've owned quite a few 50's P10R's and and still own four or five original 50's P10R's.

Two are in my '51 Fender Super.

I worked with Ted on getting as close as possible to a real 50's P10R using the parts that were available to him.

Weber doesn't make their own parts so we had to use what was available.

The one that I felt came closest was called the Weber P10RT.

I put it in my '59 or '60 tweed Harvard. It's still there.

Ask T.A. to build you one of those.

Laurence, Boomstick and Figaro like this.
  6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks, but just a poll between the the Jensen reissue and the Weber.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Lew,

Which one do you thinks sounds the closest just between the Jensen reissue and the 12A125?

8. misa

misa Supporting Member

Aren't you already stating that the RI Jensen sounds closer to you than the Weber? Or what Weber did you already try?

9. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

They're each equally distant from the tone of a real P10R.

Also, some P10R's had a smooth cone and some had a ribbed cone. I prefer the ribbed cone.

Ted Weber voiced his for a warmer tone than a real P10R. It lacked treble and twang, and a sense of space. It was to dense sounding, and we were able add some of that to the P10RT.

The T in P10RT stands for twang.

If you want a Jensen reissue I have a brand new one with a just an hour or so's playing time on it.

Make me an offer.

10. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I voted for the Weber....but the EMinence LEgend ALK102 is a very close speaker to the real deal vintage speaker.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Yes, my opinion. It's just a poll. I tried the Weber 10A125 that I put in the poll. I was told it is supposed to be Weber's P10R.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I believe the Weber equivalent to the P10R would be the 10A100? The RI p10R is not like the old ones. The Weber 10A125 is the P10Q equivalent

Laurence, slider313 and Figaro like this.
  13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Really? Then I was given incorrect information. :(

14. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Looking at the specs only, the Weber alnico Sig10 seems pretty close to the old P10Rs.
    Closer than the 100A125, anyway.

15. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

FYI
    10A100 = P10R
    10A125 = P10Q

I own\have owned amps with both poll speakers but couldn't vote because I have not had the opportunity to play through an original old P10R long enough to make a comparison.

Figaro likes this.
  16. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

There are a lot of mixed up numbers being thrown around in this thread. Maybe TA Weber will chime in here but as I understand their numbering system:

xxx100 = nom. 1.00 inch voice coil, old Jensen R series
    xxx125 = nom. 1.25" VC, old Q series
    xxx150 = nom. 1.50 " VC, old P and N series

Then you have a range of cones to choose from. An old R series either 10 or 12" w/ a smooth cone will break up almost immediately and add a very ratty character to the sound. Weber's smooth cones are considerably stiffer than the old very thin smooth cones and make for a much warmer and less distorted speaker. Also a variety of ribbed cones for a range of sounds. Also all sound warmer than a true old Jensen or Rola, but I do like them. One of their 10A100 series would be the match for a P10R, or the alnico signature 10.

Every old R series Jensen I've had has been very bright, little if any bottom end and very easy to push to a ratty sound very quickly.

The Eminence 1028 sounds very much like an old P10R but it notably louder/more efficient, will handle more power and does not break up quite as quickly as an old speaker. I think they sound a lot more like an old Jensen than any of the Italian Jensens. They're also cheap.

The tone tubby "Low Watt" or "Humbolt" alnicos also have a very glassy, chimy and bright sound, also sound very much like an old R. Also very expensive.

There are also a lot of old Rola 10 and 12 inch alnico speakers you can find on ebay that are ringers for old Jensens but you have to know what to look for, many different cones and magnet/vc sizes. Typically they're pretty cheap if you take your time. They are more efficient than Jensens but very low power handling by now.

Figaro likes this.
  17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, the 10A100 is Weber's version of the P10R. It's brighter than the 10A125; which is their version of the P10Q.

FWIW, I had Weber re-cone a pair of original 1961 P10Q's with their standard 10A125 cone and 30 watt voice coil. They reside in my 1960 Super. I've tried more than a few other sets of 10's. The P10Q's just sound "right" with this circuit.

Figaro likes this.
  18. FFTT

FFTT Member

Haven't heard anything at all good about modern Jensen.

The vintage ones I own do not hold together well when you push them.

The small magnet Weber 10A125 and 10F150 are super popular for Fender replacements.

The 10A125A is a low efficiency AlNiCo, around 94-95 dB SPL, so if you've been running a high efficiency speaker,
    you will hear a notable volume drop.

The guys who buy them like this because it means they can push their amp harder without being quite so loud.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Figaro likes this.
  19. sideman

sideman Member

The RI P10R is excellent in a variety of boutique amps, including Victoria and Fender Custom Shop stuff. I had a quad in a Victoria Bassman that I gigged for a couple years and they were great. Bought the amp used with after market ceramic speakers in it, and consulted with Mark Baier at Victoria about tubes and speakers. He recommended the RI P10R - tried a quad and kept them. My 1960 tweed Bassman has vintage P10Qs that I had reconed with paper formers. Sounds like the Voice of God. I put two quads of Weber alnicos in a 1964 Super Reverb several years ago. They were disappointing - sold them all. They were the Weber version of the P10R, now called the 10A100, which was dull/muted, followed by the the Weber version of the P10Q, called the 10A125, which was very bright. Both quads were heavy and resistant to overdrive. I ended up with a quad of vintage CTS in that amp, which were pretty good. Some guys dis the "Italian" RI P10R, but it's a decent reproduction of the Jensen - light, easy to overdrive, good in tweed applications and some newer stuff. Closer to vintage than the two Weber models I tried.

Figaro likes this.
  20. FFTT

FFTT Member

What amp are you running through this hypothetical speaker? :)

Are you playing quiet or hitting it hard enough for AlNiCos to compress properly?.

Are you into natural tube gain or are you running a bunch of OD pedals?

If you are running overdrive pedals, you're better off with a tight crisp detailed ceramic.