Jensen P12P too much speaker for 14 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by es137p, Jan 20, 2015.

1. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I have a Victoria Ivy League, have a reconed Jensen P12Q in it, looking for a little more thickness without sacrificing highs. What say you?
    Tried a Jensen P12N in it, that sometimes seemed like it might be a little too much speaker for the amp.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I can't see how a P12N can be too much speaker for that amp. It may be that it's just not a good match. I have a P12N in my '61 brown Deluxe, which is an 18 watt amp. I also have a P12P in my '64 Ampeg Reverberocket, which is also an 18 watt amp. Both have been reconed with the same cone and 50 watt voice coils. The P12P is the brighter of the two.

[​IMG]

3. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

thanks for the reply slider, I like that the P12P is a little brighter, I might give it a try in the Ivy League.

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Not too much.
    You have a 14W amp, the original was good for 20/25W .

Plus really, more than extra power handling, you'll get a larger magnet and voice coil, a "better motor" , thicker/beefier sound.
    And probably louder, because of increased efficiency.

Not bad :)

5. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

does anyone know the size of the magnet in the P12P? The voice coil is the same 1.5" as the N series, but I believe the magnet and wattage is smaller and lower?

6. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

just checking again if anyone knows the size of the magnet on the P12P, thanks Bill

7. No.9

No.9 Member

The P12N is an awesome speaker, but I don't own many amps with a single tone control, so that may be the factor.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Seems like you might be better with a ceramic mag speaker for more "thickness". That's my impression anyway... alnicos most always sound thin to me.... unless you have a bunch of them like a 4 x 10. However some, like the Weber 12A150 are thicker... so... not always true I guess!

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Agree with slider; P12N may be "more speaker" than necessary. P12P would probably be great in there. Definitely not "too much".

I have one here, do you want the dimensions of the magnet?

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

No such thing as too much speaker for any amp. Old amps always benefit, IMO, from a better speaker, unless you're going for the thin and trashy sound. That's why Ampeg had optional Altecs and JBLs and Fender had optional JBLs. Kustoms in the 60s came with CTS square magnets and optionally, depending on the year, get Altecs or JBLs.

11. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

thanks for all the info. Leon, The P12N fit, so I think the P12P should be fine. I'm speaking with Gordan speakerman about a P12P. If something happens I'll get in touch with you, thanks.
    I'm half, in the back of my mind, curious about a Louis HD12 amp. But, I think it would be prudent to try one final speaker-the P12P before making a move. I really love the clarity of the Victoria Ivy League. Just looking for a little bit more thickness than I'm getting with the C12Q.