Jensen speaker model?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Tone Loco, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Any idea what this is? No numbers on the frame and it all looks pretty new to me, not as dusty as a lot of old speakers I've seen but the label seems to be off of a 60's Jensen as far as I can make out from hunting around on the web. I assume it is a recone and there are some numbers on the cone, last shot, but I see now that they aren't too clear... unfortunately I already put it back in the cab. It came in a 63-64 Fender Deluxe but the cabinet isn't original and neither is this as far as I know. Anyhow, just curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

3. Trout

Trout Member

Think so?

The magnet looks way to big to be the C12R,
    My bet is on C12N, more in line with the magnets size and frame design.

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

With you 100% Trout.

5. Tone Loco

So does it look like a recone or new frame or is that how they looked? It seems like its in awfully good shape for a 40+ year old speaker.

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

Likely a recone. A new frame would be a new speaker.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

That's an Eminence,like the ones in the HR Deluxe, with a Jensen label.
    What are the numbers on the cone?

8. Tone Loco

I'm inclined to agree at least about the label being on a new speaker.
    Like I said its back in the cab but looking at the pictures I'd say (without a lot of confidence other than the "99 " on the second one) the numbers are:

99 032

I thought maybe it was a relabeled new Jensen, the frame looks like these pictures: http://jensentone.com/c12n.php There's are vertical ribs on the frame like on that jensen that you can't see well on the pictures I took. The cone seems to have more ridges than whats in that Jensen RI picture though.

How would you get that label off an old speaker? Seems really hard to do but it is kind of scraped up. Would you steam it off or something? Where there's a will there's a way I guess.

9. slider313

They were selling those Jensen decals on ebay a couple of years ago.
    A hair dryer can be used to heat the magnet and the sticker/decal will just peel right off.

10. Trout

Trout Member

I agree,

I doubt thats a Jensen Frame, The speaker terminal is not correct to Jensen either.

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Really bad guess on my part. Sorry. Looking again, I think the emminence vote is correct.

12. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Who really cares if it's a Jensen or an Eminence?Both were not great sounding speakers.OK is all they ever were.I have seen more of those 'special design' speakers with seized voice coils in Hot Rod Deluxes.
    Fender had bean counters too.The cheaper the better for production madels.
    It lookslike an Eminence speaker I have that's labelled Jaguar in a Randall amp.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  13. Abe

Abe Member

I think Jensen made some of the best sounding speakers ever. I doubt I'm alone either. Many of the newer Eminences are quite nice sounding too. Certainly more than ok in my opinion.

14. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I agree they did,but the 'special design' ones in production amps were cheaper quality to save money.

15. slider313

Actually, the special design ones with the brown&gold labels were an are some of the best sounding speakers in blackface Fenders,specifically the C10P,C10N,C12P and C12N. Leo Fender had a hand in that by having Jensen use a higher temperature voice coil and different cones because by the late 50's and early '60's his higher powered amps were blowing speakers. Most people call the C12N a 25 watt speaker,which is what the earlier ones were rated but I believe the rating on the brown&golds to be closer to 40 watts. Would Leo use two 25 watt speakers in his blackface 80 watt Twin Reverb?

16. slider313

Definitely not a Jensen by the frame and the numbers on the cone. Jensen cones started with a 301... I'm 99% positive that's a Fender Eminence and the exact same speaker that's used in the Fender HR Deluxe.

17. jsm355

jsm355 Member

I happen to have a pair of Jensens that I purchased back in 1976 . Old Twin speakers .
    the #'s on mine are listed on the outer frame ...they are 12NA's ...
    Jenson code # 220711. I also have another # the rim C12NA - C82206 & 023119
    I needed to recone these in 1980 to match the power of a Lab Series L-5 Amp w/ an
    extra-heavy duty 1.75 " Voice coil . I remember Killer sounds from these . Still have them but not in service at the time .

18. jsm355

jsm355 Member

As I remember the 220 was the Jensen company code followed by < this where I may have it mixed up > last digit of the year then the week of production . Since I got mine in mid to late 1970's & no later than 1980 my speakers could be either 1967 or 1977 !! I too have been trying to find out the DATE of these speakers !
    I also have 24 ribs on the cone !!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  19. slider313

Jensen was out of business by 1973, so yours would be 1967.