Jensen style speaker for a Marshall 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jdandry, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jdandry

jdandry Member

I have an empty Marshall 4x12 and need some speakers for it. I already have a 2x12 with celestions, and don't think I want them in the 4x12 also. I was thinking about maybe some Jensens. What Jensen or Webers would lend themselves to a 4x12 with a '71 50watt Marshall runing through it. Thinking Tweed Bassman style tone. Thank- John

2. MiyakoDesigns

MiyakoDesigns Member

Jensen P12Q or P12R are what came in Tweed Bassmans. P12R's will break up earlier than the Q's. Not sure what your budget is, but if are looking for good bang for the buck speakers that still have Jensen tone, check out the MOD 50's or 70's.

3. Trout

Trout Member

Actually,
    TV Front = P15N
    Wide Panel = P15N
    Narrow Panel = P10R or P10Q

The best bet would most likely be a Weber or Celestion maybe even Emenince.
    Jensens never really seemed to do the whole Marshall tone thing very well.

They do have a new ceramic magnet speaker in their Jet Series call the "Lightening" which they claim should cover that genre, but I have not tried one yet.

YMMV

4. MiyakoDesigns

MiyakoDesigns Member

Sorry, my sincere apologies... I posted late last night and made a terrible mistake. Yes the narrow panels were p10r's or p10q's , but the closest you could get in your situation if you are looking for tweed bassman type tone would be the p12q or p12r. I've tried the Jet Lightning in a 1x12 but not a 4x12. Definitely more of a hard rock speaker with crunchy flavored distortion.

5. Trout

Trout Member

I just ordered a Jensen Lightning yesterday, Can you give more impressions on it?
    What are you using it in, Wattage of amp and so on?

Thanks!

6. MiyakoDesigns

MiyakoDesigns Member

I used the lightning when I was experimenting on a 1x12 extension cab for a marshall 18 watt copy. I know it seems like a weird combination but, Jensen has a program where dealers of there's can test any speaker for 3 weeks and then ship it back for no cost so I try a lot of weird combos just for fun. The speaker really wasn't much of a match for the 18 watt in my opinion. The speaker is on the bright side, super tight low end, very straight forward, not as colorful as I was hoping for. I think it'd be a great speaker for more modern heavier playing styles, good rhythm guitar speaker.