Jenson Jet v Scumback Scumnico

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sammy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

I have a Brownote D'Lite 22 ( a fantastic amp) with a Jenso Jet Alnico 100watt speaker fitted. Whilst it does sound good, it does sound a bit too treble based.

Anyway I took the amp to a friend of mine who had a 1x12 Two Rock cab fitted with a Scumback Scumnico 65watt. It sounded so much better, sweeter, not so much shrill at the top end and lovely bass.

Now my point would it sound as good in my combo! I know I wouldn't get quite the same bass response as the Two Rock cab is larger, but would it be worth the extra expense and sound that much better than my Jenson. I would have loved to have tried it, also maybe the Jenson would sound quite different in the Two Rock cab. Its quite a bit for the Scumnico, especailly shipping to UK etc, so can't afford to waste monies if there is not really a great deal of difference.:confused:

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Sammy

Sammy Member

Any advice from anyone!!!:(

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to a Scumback clinic tomorrow, I'll post what I hear later.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I haven't heard the Jensen speaker you're referring to yet so I can't comment or make a comparison to the Scumnico...sorry.

There goes a few Tecates and HN hot dogs. :) See you there!

I guess that 4x12 with Scumnicos is getting a workout!

5. chaz

chaz Member

If I'm not mistaken the Scumnico is a British style speaker. The Jensen does not belong to that camp at all. It's more of a classic American style speaker.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Weber makes a 12-65 with an Alnico magnet. Is the Scumback similar?

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a Jensen Jet Blackbird too. Has yours broken in yet? That should smooth out the high end somewhat. Mine is still breaking in, but so far I like it as an alternative to my Fane AXA12. I haven't heard the Scumnico yet - probably at the LA Amp Show in a few months. Jim has great speakers.

9. Sammy

Sammy Member

Roughly how long do they take to break in? If you are going to the LA show would you be kind enough to pm me on what you think of the Scumnico. Many thanks Sammy

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Most speakers take a good 40 hours at least, but some guys play a bass heavy CD mix through a speaker for many hours straight to speed the process.

I'm getting a new cabinet for my JJ BB tomorrow, so I'll load it again and see how it's coming along. I assume you've adjusted your amp's EQ to dial it in as well.

The LA Amp show isn't until Oct, so it will be a while.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

About 5 or six loud gigs with a 50 or 100 watt amp will break a scumbag or any other speaker in good and proper.