Jeremy Lin is in the NBA Playoffs....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 27, 2016.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

.....the New York Knicks are not....

Blanket Jackson and Blue Light like this.
  2. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

He didn't fit in with the Rockets (lucky for him) but he is just what the doctor ordered for Charlotte. He's one of the very few guards that works his way inside and demands the double team, often getting to the free throw line. He is a big plus coming off the bench.

3. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

He hustles and try's hard every second. I'll give him that.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  4. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I don't follow the NBA, but I never really understood why things didn't work out with him and the Knicks. Seems like their loss.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  5. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

He had that crazy out-of-nowhere streak with the Knicks but hasn't been able to duplicate that. He's a good player off the bench and a solid role player who has his moments.

6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The bolded portion is important. He can create some havoc inside and draws some fouls, but he also turns the ball over a ton. In spurts, he can be great. As a regular, he's too inconsistent.

Peace,

27sauce, Eric Rowland and T92780 like this.
  7. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Yeah, I'm rooting for Charlotte. Not just because of Lin, but also their star guard Kemba Walker (a standout at UConn).
    Losing Lin was one of 57 ditzy dumb things the Knicks have done in the last decade. The spoiled-rich-kid owner, Dolan, wouldn't give Lin a nice new contract at the end of the season and told him to put himself on the market and he would supposedly match it. So Lin got a NICE offer and Dolan hit the roof and refused to negotiate. That's how a spoiled rich kid "thinks."

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

Lin is considered a local hero in these parts as he attended the same high school (Palo Alto) as my daughter :)

nsureit likes this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

After the Lin run at NY, when Carmelo was out hurt, and then when Carmelo came back and their games couldn't co-exist, so they got rid of the guy who had them in the headlines, and kept Carmelo.....big mistake imo.....

10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

They weren't going to win with either of those guys. I like Jeremy Lin, but he's too streaky, turns the ball over too much, and doesn't play good defense. There is a reason he's been on 5 teams in 6 years and hasn't been able to hold a starting job. He's great off the bench though and the he was great during that streak in 2012.

Melo is has loads of talent, but it's hard to imagine a team winning with him as the focal point.

Peace,

Go Cat Go!! and Atmospheric like this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I agree, but a lot of guys move around the league until they land at the right spot.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I like Jeremy, saw him up close when he was with the Lakers. Lots to be said for him.

But I don't think the Knicks would be in the playoffs if they'd have kept him, which seems to be the implication of this thread. He had a magic run there, has had enough opportunities since to recapture that kind of performance, and hasn't come close. I'm glad he seems to have found his place in Charlotte. But he isn't a superstar who is going to make or break a team.

13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Not that many, really. I can't think of any players who have moved around as much as he has and suddenly broke out as a star (though I don't have a perfect memory). Lin has had several shots to be a starter and hasn't been able to hold the job (for reasons that are pretty clear). He might make it as a starter at some point, but I don't see him as a key factor on a championship team. I like him and he's really good in streaks, but the biggest streak of his career inflated his worth for a lot of people.

Peace,

14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Well, they do have Porzingis now, and given the choice between the point guard Lin and the power forward Porzingis I would want the current state.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Actually, Lin is WAY down the list of NBA players who have been on the most teams.....
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/most_franchises.html

16. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

You may want to reread what I posted, because I didn't say he had been on the most teams. I said I couldn't think of anybody who has been with so many teams in a short period of time, then went on to huge success. He has been with five teams in six years and was given a legitimate shot to be the starter in each of the last four. And he hasn't been able to hold that job in any of them. Which tells me that he's a nice player worthy of getting some minutes off the bench, but he's not a guy you build your team around.

Peace,

17. stevieboy

lp_bruce likes this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I never intended to imply that he is someone who you would build a team around, but, scoring aside, neither is Carmelo imo. But there is no doubt that Lin was the catalyst that provided the NY Knicks fanbase with the most excitement, interest and hope that they have had in years, and then they tossed him aside, after which they plummeted.........

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Fair enough. I completely agree that Melo isn't a guy you build your team around. He doesn't seem (to me) to have that "fire in the belly" that a player of his skills should have. There is no question Linsanity was crazy and he was fantastic during that stretch. As I said, he's a streaky player and when he's on he's brilliant. But people often forget that when he's off he's a turnover machine and nobody (except coaches) seem to notice that he's not a good defensive player at all (at 27, something that's not likely to get much better).

As I think about it, Chauncey Billups was in his fifth team in six years when he landed in Detroit. He was very different from Lin in that he was the starter with every team and there seemed to be less question of his skill (he was drafted third overall) and more question of his attitude. Which makes him--I think--an exception. Nearly all players who move from team to team to team at the beginning of their careers never bloom into critical players on championship teams. That doesn't mean it could never happen and I like Jeremy Lin and I think it would be cool if he did. And he's hot right now. But I think he's ultimately a role player.

Peace,

20. stevieboy

The Knicks should have waited a season, after Lin fell back to earth, wound up on the bench, and was getting booed by the NY fans, before sending him on his way.

lp_bruce likes this.