Jerry Garcia MXR Phase 100...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mars Hall, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

Howdy all, I play in a GD tribute band. I'm seeking a phaser pedal, from researching, I found Jerry used the MXR Phase 100, script logo. I have no experience with these, so I like to seek the wisdom and knowledge you all behold. For instance, how good are the reissue as compared to the vintage models? Are there tonal differences between vintage script and block logo versions or is it just and indicator of age? Are they noisy? Any info would be helpful.

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I’ve had several vintage MXR P100’s and one just never sounded right. Try before you buy.
    Still... I’ve been going down a JGB rabbit hole lately, brushing up on some of the old material. I rarely hear him use the phasor. (Sometimes on Sugaree?) and the rate is always fast like a Leslie. I just mean to say that it is not essential to own the 100 and the 90 gets in the ballpark. I have a hand wired script reissue 90 that I use presently and it’s awesome. No led or ac but ...hey?

Laurence and Mars Hall like this.
  3. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Sugar Magnolia is the only song I can think of that a phaser would matter. I'm sure any phase 90 would be good enough. I myself would just skip the phaser. What you NEED is a auto wah for shakedown street. The EHX QTRON is supposed to be a decent copy of Jer's Mutron.

tonedover likes this.
  4. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

buy a used phase 95

remember his phaser was deconstructed and turned into part of his rack, very diff than how we would put a pedal in a rack today

5. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

There's lots of phaser on the late 70s Dead stuff. Althea is a big Jerry phaser tone that comes to mind. I have the the phase 95 mini and I totally love it. It doesn't have the phase 100 setting but I was actually using it the other day in script mode with a really compressed clean sound and felt like I was really getting that sound.

Not exactly sure how the phase 100 differs from the 90 and 45.

6. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

I don't think Phase 100 was used on Sugar Mag ?

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  7. GilmourIsGod

GilmourIsGod Member

Unbroken Chain for sure.

I'd agree though. If you want a phaser get one. No one in the audience is going to notice its omission. Remember, we're talking about Deadheads. They're used to getting variations of songs.

Also agree with the Qtron for the Mutron.

Abram4235 and kidmandude like this.
  8. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Deadheads are for the most part, a very discerning audience. If an effect is added, or omitted from a song, many will notice. While song versions vary, the fx pedals used didn't vary much.

9. GilmourIsGod

GilmourIsGod Member

Disagree. Most people are too busy dancing to notice.

10. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Obviously, most wouldn't notice, but somebody who knows the music, may very well. A Victim or the Crime without a phaser would be noticed by many. An Estimated without envelope filter, etc.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Abram4235, kidmandude and pula58 like this.
  11. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

If you're looking for an MXR, the Phase 95 is the way to go. Four flavors of MXR and it's tiny. Great pedal.

12. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Phase 45 & 90 are fairly similar in sound. 45 is more subtle as it’s 2 stage - 90 more obvious as it’s 4 stage.

Phase 100 is very different. Has 4 different phase settings - two with the ‘watery’ feedback (like a Mu-Tron, or Small Stone w/Color Switch engaged) and two without. I believe I’m right in saying it’s a 10 stage phaser....6 stages that modulate, 4 that are fixed. So as well as the feedback and different width settings, those fixed stages give it a sort-of cocked wah/Electric Mistress Filter Matrix element too. Very different beast to the other MXRs...but awesome nonetheless!!

Tomo El Gato, GA20T, songtalk and 3 others like this.
  13. King Rat

King Rat Member

i thought they were just a bunch smiley folks competing in some secret “white people” dance competition that you’ll never be invited to or understand....

but yeah If you think John Mayer sounds “good or close enough” just get the stock stuff he uses.

i really dig the pigtronix ep-2 for me, I can dial in all sorts of phase tones across the eras and switch to a useable envelope phaser sound that will get the shakedown street vibe for most in a live situation if I don’t wanna bother with another pedal.

hope this helps.

chandra, RedRedWorm and Mars Hall like this.
  14. RedRedWorm

RedRedWorm Member

irrelevant info: I almost picked up a phase 95 but while at the store opted for a used deja vibe I'd been wanting for a long time. From what I could tell the phase 95 was great and had the script button which according to TGP stalking gets quite close in some instances (or is trash)

might I ask what the other key components of your board are for this Jerry sound?

15. Mattyc

Mattyc Supporting Member

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

This plus mega flexible and sounds dope.

tonedover likes this.
  17. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that the Phase 100 is a 10 stage phaser with an odd control set. The Phase 90 is a four stage phaser. The Phase 45 is a two stage phaser.

This was after assuming for YEARS that the Phase 100 was a six stage phaser. The Gear Page set me straight!

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  18. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Yup. You beat me to it!

JoePerkinsMusic likes this.
  19. chandra

chandra Member

I don’t think any Deadheads are going to riot and set ablaze the stage mid-song if they notice the phase pattern is different to whatever Jerry half-remembered to use on 04/16/79 or whatever.

20. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

It's nice to have a pedal like your pigtronix, where you can create your own sounds, and still get close enough, covering someone else.
    Envelope filter is really the only Jerry effect someone needs, unless they're
    in a Dead tribute band. He didn't use Phase 100 all that often. I'm covered on the Garcia effects, but I'm mostly just after the best sounds I can squeeze out of my specific rig, in it's entirety.

GilmourIsGod likes this.