Jerry Jeff Walker. An Amercian Treasure?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cottonmike, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

2. kkregsg

kkregsg Supporting Member

I've been a huge Jerry Jeff fan since I first hear the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band do Mr Bojangles. I've seen him several times live, and always a good time. The man has an incredible ear for songs that he can make his own. He's a talented musician, but he always comes across as a guy you could hang with after the show and share a beer or two.Yep, he's a treasure.

3. BigSB

BigSB Member

Unless you're a person who has consistently searched for and listened to music that's off the radar of the big conglomerates, you might have HEARD about JJW, but chances are it was in relation to the trinity of anti-Nashville writers (Willie, Waylon and Kris). The typical radio-oriented listener over the last 25 years might never have even heard of him.

Jerry Jeff Walker is, indeed, a treasure. He has forged his own sound and identity, being "adopted" by Austinites and alt-country fans despite being a Northerner (born in upstate N.Y.). He has written fantastic songs and has done with his career what many performers simply don't know how to do: he's embraced the big-venue, high-visibility success AND the coffeehouse/bar/private-party venues with the same professionalism and warm geniality. I've seen video of him playing for 25 the same dedicated way he's played for thousands. He's not asking people to suspend their disbelief and pretend it's still 1975, like he's still some big shot. His songs and personality are his strengths and his fans are glad to be along for the ride. Truly unique.

4. Bankston

Bankston Member

He might be an American Treasure around the nation but in Texas, Jerry Jeff is a Legend.

One in a long line of Texas-born or based singer songwriters, which includes Willie, Waylon, Kris, Billy Joe, Townes, Ray Wiley, Robert Earl, Lyle, Creager, Gary P., Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, Hayes Carll, the Robison Bros., Kelly, etc., etc. ad infinitum

His son Django ain't half bad either (and TALL).

5. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Saw him live in 1977, great show.

6. Texican

Texican Member

Ditto to that!

7. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Thank you all for your sharing your appreciation for Jerry Jeff Walker. He is an American treasure and legend in my mind.

He made this beautiful cover of a Jesse Winchester song about my home state. The local TV ABC affiliate in Greenville, Mississippi, would sign of the air every night, and play this tune with this very B&W photo montage, followed by the national anthem.

They got some things really right in the deep south in the 70's.

8. 2guests

2guests Member

Yes, yes he is!

9. sweiss

sweiss Member

Viva Terlingua is one of my favorite albums of all time by anyone.

JJW, along with Don Williams, are the absolute masters at making dirt simple, yet powerful music....the way country music was meant to be.

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Saw him in '71. David Bromberg accompanied him.

11. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Jerry Jeff is indeed a treasure. Has had some good lead players play for him as well.

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

He's a legendary treasure. I played a show with him at Cain's Ballroom back in the 90s. He was so cool and easy going. Being on stage with him and hearing everyone in the place sing, "woah...I love, sangria wine!" at the top of their lungs is one of my favorite musical memories.

13. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I think I saw that same tour during a stop in Gainesville, FL. Bromberg is another underappreciated treasure of Americana music. Learned much about how to accompany a vocalist from that show.