Jerry Jones Page

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slider313, Oct 20, 2008.

1. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of picking up a JJ Jimmy Page. I have a love/hate relationship with strats and want something single coil thats different. Does anyone here have one,or have played one, and what's your opinion?

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

why the JJ over the Dano RI?

3. slider313

Without any first hand info, I was under the impression the Jerry Jones guitars are made with better materials right here in the states.

4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Jerry Jones guitars are indeed made in the USA. "better materials" is a bit of a misnomer for danos though. the originals were made out of masonite.

the differences i've found in JJ's is that he uses a more traditional hardtail strat bridge, a different neck profile, and possibly better tuners. but the danos i've played have all easily held their own against JJs. the 90s RI's mostly went with a wood bridge that was more authentic to the dano sound. but JP modded at least one of his danos with a Badass bridge.

personally, i play the import danos because they fit with the brand identity. cheap, unique guitars that play and sound great. while JJ guitars are certainly great, i've never been so much more impressed with them that i thought they were worth double.

if it were me, i'd be looking at the DC-59 RI that was out last year. i do think they're better than the 59-Pro (with the intonatable bridge) that came out in the 90s.

5. slider313

Thanks for the info !

6. Chris T

Chris T Member

I've owned both and all of the Jones guitars were better guitars than the Dano re-issues. I have owned a lot of original Danos from the 50s and 60s and the Jerry Jones were better guitars than all of them. The old Danos all sounded great but many were hard to play and had fret and electronics issues.

That being said I do have a Danelectro 56 Pro-not to be confused with the squarish Pro series-that has a big neck, adjustable bridge and hotter pickups. Great guitar. I paid $205 for it.

You can find older Jerry Jones models with the wooden bridge. It does make a difference but I haven't found it to be for the better. I like the brighter snappier tone of the adjustable metal bridges on the JJ and 56 Pro better.

7. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Love my Jerry Jones Neptune....I owned a few Dano RI and I have to say that the Jerry Jones is way more solid and well built guitar than the RI's......Kinda the same tones of the old Silvertones and Danos.......I picked mine up for $460 shipped and love it......

[​IMG]

Here is some clean and dirty sound clip:http://www.driveway.com/b4sxmhLluu

8. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I love my JJ Neptune 12-string. It's actually as easy to play as any of my 6-strings and it sounds great unplugged. The Danelectro reproductions, while nicely done, just aren't as fun to play for me.

I'd describe the JJ sound as being more metallic and less warm and sustaining than a Strat if that's what you're looking for. It works well for a 12-string because it helps keep mushiness at bay.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  9. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I`ve owned both and feel that the JJ`s are esily worth double .. If you hunt enough you won`t have to pay double.

10. Chris T

Chris T Member

11. mockoman

mockoman Member

Excellent tones-the clean has so much chime,it sounds like a 12 string.
    Good intonation,too. Is the dirty part an open tuning?

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've owned both dano reissues and JJ's - I currently have four JJ's.

IMHO, there's no comparison. Jerry Jones' guitars are built with so much higher a standard in parts, sound and playing quality it's ridiculous. Within two years of owning Dano reissues I encountered so many problems I had to get rid of them.

And ironically, it's Jerry that has the more authentic connection to Danelectro of old -

"Danelectro" today is a company that bought the name and rights. Jerry Jones was a Nashville luthier/repairman who, prior to "Danelectro" re-opening shop, actually flew out to Nathan Daniels during his last days and spent time learning from the man himself what the tricks were behind making his designs work, how to implement them, how to improve certain aspects, and got Daniels' blessings.

JJ's are amongst my favorite American guitars made today. They're worth many times over the price of a Dano reissue.

IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  13. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

I love my Neptune and thanks for the comment....I can play my Neptune through my $99 UltraSound I leave at church with some Monster FX Swamp Thang and get a lovely clean chiney tone....not really an acosutic tone and its not overly bright either.....just love and nice sounding.....the dirty clip I believe I was tune down a 1/2 step and I capo'd at the second fret or standard tuning clamped at the first......its Hack-o-Billy fo' sure but I like it.....Your to kind.

14. James

James Member

I have a black 3-pick-up JJ Shorthorn like Chris T's. Great guitar. Every once in a while I'll think to myself: "Self: You really don't play that guitar that often; maybe it's time to sell it?" Then I'll plug it in and play it and remember how groovy it is. The JJ guitars are much better than the Danelectro reissues by far, and I'd say, even better than the vintage Danelectros.

15. Chris T

Chris T Member

That is blashphemy to Dano fanatics but I agree wholeheartedly.

I used to have a bunch of old Danos and they all sounded very cool. Most were hard to play and all had issues. I love the old ones and what they represent but I didn't really enjoy playing them.

I'll take the JJs over any Danelectro old or new.

But that's just me....:YinYang

16. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Jerry Jones builds great guitars.

17. Amplite

Amplite Member

Love the neck on my 3 pickup neptune - feels great and is set up perfectly!

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

Jerry Jones guitars are a notch above Danelectros. They are set up well, can be played in tune, and are the equal of the old Danos in the tone department.

19. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I'm a pretty big JJ/Dano fan (as you know Chris).
    I agree that the original JJ's are probably the best playing lipstick pup guitars out there, but I would also say that the sound of a good vintage Dano can't be beat. I don't know if it's the masonite or the old pups, but they just sound different... and that particular sound happens to be my personal fave. JJ's are built more solidly, and I tour with them and leave the vintage Dano's at home, but I record with the old Dano's cuz I dig the sound.

They're all great... and relatively affordable... so why not own one of each :) ?

Peace - jv

PS - BTW Chris, I had the custom reverse slant 3 pup JJ rewired in series (it was wired like a strat as you know)... and it sounds HUGE. The middle positions are amazing. Thanks for passing that guitar along. It's my number 1.

20. tomhampton

tomhampton Member

well, i own both...kinda. i have a couple of the dano reissues, and i have a jerry jones reissue of the coral sitar with the sympathetic strings on it, which only rogue makes anymore, it seems...

...but i gotta say, the sitars' playability and build quality are most excellent. not having tried the rogue equivalent, i can't say how they stack up against one another, but if the build on the JJ sitar is any indication, then i'd have to agree with the folks here who've championed the quality of the JJ's over the reissue danos.