Jerry's Amps & Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SAVROHR, May 15, 2006.

1. SAVROHR

SAVROHR Member

There is plenty of info re: Jerry Garcia's guitars, but I have never found a good description of his amp and speaker preferences. Anybody have any such info?

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

Just off the top of my head, mind you, but I thought his base amp sound
    was JBL loaded Twins, maybe some Altec speaker action in there, also.

From the 70's to his untimely passing, anyway .

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

There are a lot of 'heads here that may chime in. As well as dozin, there's a Yahoo group called "Gear Heads" that has some good info.

I just put Weber Californias in my Pro Reverb, hoping for more Jerry-ness. :)

6. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

For the best of both worlds, Jerry used the preamp section of a Fender Twin Reverb (later a GT Trio) and ran it into a McIntosh Power Amp for a Class A power section, into JBL E-120 speakers. On his Discussion Forum, Steve Kimock recalls a conversation with Jerry where he told him to always turn the bass control off and use the mid-control as the bass control with Black/Silver Fenders. I"m sure it eliminated that flubby bottom, especially in the early '70's when Jerry used an Alembic Stratoblaster in his Strat or Wolf. There are more of those "dozin" links that give you a chronological look at his guitars and rigs.
    FWIW,
    Rick

7. 57tele

57tele Member

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/SteveKimock/viewtopic.php?t=56&highlight=dialing

Also a couple of other relevant comments:

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/SteveKimock/viewtopic.php?t=194&highlight=macintosh

8. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

9. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Jerry had major GAS. His rig was always in a state of flux. I believe he was going DI into the PA at the end but I don't have the article I think I might have read that in somewhere... hey... did someone just dose me?

10. 57tele

57tele Member

Well, I moderate that board, so some times I can recall what was said in which thread(s).

11. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Check out the tone controls on Jerry's Trio preamp on the second link I posted. The bass on all three channels is at 9:00 and the middle and treble is around 3:00 or higher. Just like Kimock stated. It sure worked well for Jerry. His sound was always present in the mix. Can't say the same for Bobby.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You guys had better not get me going on Jerry-like amps now because after completing this in January I'm outa dough! :eek: :D

[​IMG]

13. jordanL

jordanL Member

apparently Dan Healy(the Grateful Dead's soundman) Didn't like bobs sound and often turned Weir down in the mix as a result.

14. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Very cool, Jerry was always present in the mix and Phil certainly had the bottom end covered. And yes JordanL, I distributed RoundRecords, Arista, and Grateful Dead Records so I had some contact with them over the years. Dan Healy was a real character, funny how he treated Weir's sound out front. Sometimes you could only hear him on one side, other times not at all. I have many tapes from the sound board and Weir played some terrific guitar, too bad a lot of people never had the chance to hear it. Weir preferred Boogie and Soldano higher gain sounds than Jerry who stuck with that Fender front end and pedals for distortion. My favorite Jerry tone was from the 70's when he used a Strat/Irwin Wolf and the Alembic Stratoblaster to push the front end of those Twins. Almost Dumble-esque at times. Then the MXR+, and only Jerry could have pulled off the Boss HM-2! I think it's well known that Jerry was into tone and gear, great story his last wife told about how Jerry got onto the stage at the Fillmore before a Clapton "From the Cradle" Fillmore West show to check out Clapton's stuff.
    Happy Trails,
    Rick

15. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Yeah? Explains why he's nowhere to be found on a lot of shows I've got.

16. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I remember seeing The Grateful Dead at RFK Stadium back in the day. Huge crowd after USA Today did a story on them making a comeback. A couple of years earlier at the Baltimore Civic Center, it was only 1/4 filled.
    Jerry had a stack of McIntosh Power amps and on stage, a huge wall of I think, Alembic speakers, JBL's, all covered with tie die (sp?) grillcloth. When they hit the grill cloth with colored lights, it created different swirling patterns. What a scene. Jerrys sound was big, beautiful, and clean.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

That's such a shame. I remember how excellent Bob's playing was at so many of the shows I attended. I always liked his voice and songwriting, too.

18. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I always thought it funny that this was the only band I could think of where the lead guitarist played with mostly a clean tone, and the rhythm guy played distorted....

19. 57tele

57tele Member

I think the "bass off" thing has a lto to do with playing context. In a relatively loud setting with a good sound system out front, I've always found that bass on the guitar adds little in the way of tonal value out front, buts adds a huge amount of mud on stage. In a quieter jazz setting, otoh, bass actually does something.

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i like that setup too :) cuts down the woofiness and focuses on where the guitar really cuts through.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]