JET and Jaros

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by soulsoothin, Mar 25, 2008.

1. soulsoothin

soulsoothin Member

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone would like to weigh in on JET guitars and Jaros Guitars. While I have heard great things about JET guitars the hype is usually carried on by Ed Roman -- whom I read positve and very negative comments about. On the other hand the Jaros Guitar has a long 3/4 neck tenon which aids in the overall sound of the guitar -- an option not found on the JET. Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts to share on these boutique guitars. Thanks.

2. carson072

carson072 Member

Both look like very high quality guitars, I'd like to hear what some owners think as well. Shame that everyone lumps anything on the Ed Roman site into the crap category, I've always respected his site and really he's been a very innovative seller in terms of using the internet and supporting small builders.

3. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I haven't played a Jaros, but I have a Jet. The Jet is amazing and is most definitely not hype. It's in that league of guitars where one isn't better than the other just suited to ones tastes better. It's a very loud, resonant guitar with an overall very even tone (though a slight lean towards the bright side). As far as its tone goes, I imagine there isn't much it couldn't do extremely well. It also has some of the best upper fret access. Definitely worth your time checking out.

4. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

I've never played a Jaros, but I too own a JET. :D Everytime I play it I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. My face always hurts after a while too: I can't stop smiling like an idiot. I know this sounds like crap, but this guitar is just amazing. You can play just about any style on it too. It may be a little bright sounding for some, but all you have to do is turn the tone knob a little: problem solved. Seriously, you can't go wrong with a JET. Try it, you'll LOVE it. By the way, I bought mine from Ed, and I didn't have any problems with him at all.
    :RoCkIn

5. Jet149

Jet149 Member

Just thought I should chime in and back what the other Jet owners are saying. fearhk213 was right about them not being all hype, these guitars are the best I've ever tried. I own a Earlewood and Caldera, now all of my other guitars just stay in the case. I used to be afraid to play them due to fear of dinging or scratching a very exspensive guitar. Not anymore, these babies were made to be played and not kept in a glass case. If you've got the $$$ do yourself favor and pick one up. New they are quite pricey but they do pop on ebay for a fair price at times. I bought one from Ed also and he was cool with me. I've never played a Jaros either so I can't comment.
    Good Luck!

Randy @ infinityguitars has a new Caldera (#325) that is just killing me!
    http://infinityguitars.com/jet_inventory.html

6. gbnguitars

gbnguitars Member

I heard a lot of bad things about Ed Roman but I played his Quicksilver model when I was in Vegas.

I have never been that into PRS guitars but the Quicksilver was pretty amazing, although not my type of guitar. Also, I found Ed to be a pretty decent guy. I was honest about being a small builder and he was hospitable and asked me to play a bunch of his stuff.

People online are sometimes hash and I expected the worst when I went to the store and was really surprised at how cool everyone was.

7. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I played a Jaros once, I think it was called a Bluesman or something like that. It was well made and had a nice tone similar to a PRS Custom.

8. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I sure you all may have had a good experience with Ed but most of the positive comments I see are from fairly new members. Many long time mebers on this site have had much different experiences. I am sure he does a good deal once in awhile. Almost forgot I do agree that Jet is a quality guitar. I hear great things about them and yes that single cut is very nice! He does great finish work and has some of the best color choices available!

9. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

I have some very nice high-end guitars, and I bought my best from Ed Roman, my JET, with no problems. You state that "Many long time members on this site have had much different experiences." I have seen nothing but rumor and inuendo in my readings thus far. As an example: Kalalau Hiker spoke ill of Ed and stated that "he has too many friends that have been ripped off by" Ed. He said one of his friend's was ripped off when he bought a Jaros from Ed, because Ed's "guy's" built it and Ed did not inform him of this. (Ed stated this in his website, so I don't know how he missed it.) Later, though, Kalalau Hiker admits that he has never even dealt with Ed, and his friend loves the Jaros. :horse I wonder how many of his friends were "ripped off " by Ed before they devloped a consensus? Then there is singlemania that bought his JET from Ed also:"a tremendous guitar." Singlemania says that Ed "is a little bit of a douche" and "to be careful if you deal with him." However, in the same post he states that "he didn't deal with [Ed] all that much." Further, he states that since there is so much crap on the internet "there must be some truth behind the rumors." Now that is wonderful logic: if there is enough crap on the internet it must be true. :agree
    I think if you look, you will find that there are those that are quite pleased with Ed's products as well. For instance PanamaCZ, a long time member, who has purchased at least 7 high end guitars from Ed, and like me, he likes them very much. :p
    I don't know if you got "ripped off" by Ed, but so far the vast majority of the people complaining about him either haven't even dealt with him or are like the guy that complained about JET necks being too narrow: he couldn't do bends on the high and low e strings, because the strings came off the fret board. Hmmmm. I bet he's a great guitar player.:rotflmao

10. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

i've dealt w/ed and can vouch for the fact that he is indeed a douche

11. dookie

dookie Member

I've owned a Jaros that I thought was the shiz... It just came down to the fact that I needed to thin the herd and I have guitars that I favored more...

I actually stopped wanting to play it because I thought it was just too pretty... I did have problems at first when selling it due to the fact that Ed Roman was involved with it... Otherwise, I thought the guitar itself was great...

12. johnnybrulez

johnnybrulez Member

I agree. Ed gets a bad rap because of his big mouth and that he insults the big 3 constantly (PRS, GIBBY, AND FENDER) so you're gonna get some bad press. I am sure most of those who deal w/ him come away happy regardless of how much he talks. I own a J Frog and I think its pretty damn sweet.

I played a Quicksilver and it was a great great great player. The JET guitars looked amazing too. Almost too amazing.

I do think he is kinda pricey though. (PRS and Gibby are too...) And his resale value.. as some have stated is **** because of his reputation. I think he prices ridiculously and its not the best bang for the buck... but there's some quality stuff coming out of his store for sure.

13. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

The price list for the JETs is the same. It isn't ER. If you go to Infinity Guitars you'll see the same prices. http://www.infinityguitars.com/jet_price_list.html
    Actually the price list Ed has on his site is last year's, but the funny thing is when you price them out they are about the same. I think that the arrogance displayed by many of those that are very knowlegable in their field can be annoying, but if they can back it up I guess you have to put up with it. I think Eddie Van Halen would be a good example of this individual: have you seen some of the stuff he has said in guitar magazine articles. Humility definately ain't one of his virtues. Like you said, Ed has some killer guitars, and I'd say his attitude is a small price to pay for the what you can get from his shop: many of the guitars can't be found anywhere else. I guess those that don't like him can be thankful that he doesn't come with the guitars he sells.

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

What about talking up a builder as the best thing since sliced bread, but when that builder didn't kow tow, or put a feature that Ed wanted, then they mysteriously transformed into crap in his estimation.

15. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

I would say the ego could come into play on that one. However, if it were a builder that ER helped out when he was small and unheard of, such as a Paul Reed Smith, and or someone that sold a large volume of guitars because of ER, then it would simply make good business sense to kowtow to him: at least to some degree. Like they say, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Could you be more specific as to whom you are referring? This really has no bearing on buying a quality guitar from his store anyway does it?

16. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Absolutely.
    BTW, Is JET still one of Roman's "house specials?"
    (If not, I apologize in advance, but knowing ER, I wouldn't put it past him to get his people to become "new members" and start talking up some of his "brands" [i.e. house builders], and to try and "soften" his TGP "image!")
    :messedup

-db

17. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

If you call a $6000+ guitar made in North Carolina by an independent builder, www.jetguitars.com , which is where they have always been made, then I guess they are "house specials:" if you live in a mansion. PRS, DTM, TCM and a few others were what you seem to be calling "house builders" for ER at one time or another too. What "terrible thing" did ER do to you? I see many slandering him, but they don't seem to back-up what they say. One of these people was a new member that I suppose wanted to fit in. I guess one might call this the "mob mentality."
    On the contrary, by my posts, I keep finding people that got wonderful guitars from him. Although no, they are not dating.
    I am a businessman, and I know when people say bad things about you, true or not, it hurts your business. If you don't like what ER says about your particular guitar then don't buy guitars from ER. If you had a bad deal with him then I appologize. However, as I said earlier, so many say how bad Ed has been to them personally when in actuality they haven't even met the man: it was "their friend that got screwed." Even if they did and they clashed horns, the man sells some of the best guitars in the world at his site that you can't find anywhere else. No he doesn't pay me sh*t, but I do tire of the "he said she said" from those with no dealings what so ever with the man. Again, :horseyou aren't buying Ed, you are buying a work of art that kicks arse.
    Buy the way can you give me an instance of him using "new members" to further his cause. I have seen this accusation many times, but this is the first time I have been accused of it: thank you very much.

18. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    Fred - I REALLY, REALLY do not appreciate you quoting me and not listing the thread associated with that quote and not listing my ENTIRE quote. I also don't appreciate you doing it to others. This is very low class, slanted, and makes you look extremely suspect in many ways.

I will ask you to list the link to the thread and list my ENTIRE quote ... now please.

That will show that my comments were quite reasonable. My friend bought a Jaros form Ed under the STATED word FROM Ed that it was built by Jaros. Ed later admitted it was not built by Jaros.

THAT IS FRAUD.

It is NOT a Jaros- and my friend is now stuck with a VERY “good” guitar – but if he falls on hard times and has to sell it – he, unlike Ed, is an honest straight forward person – and he will have to post on ebay that it is NOT built by Jaros, but by Ed, and THAT alone will push away MOST buyers… JUST because of Ed’s name. So – ahain- you are ignorant of the real facts here – my friend is happy with the guitar – but he feels VERY ripped by Ed Roman in terms of honesty, dealing in good faith and the repercussions of Ed’s illegal fraud in terms of his possible resale. If a Lexus dealwer sells you a Lexus and you find out later that your very well driving car was built by a few mechanics the dealer knows down the street – would you figure out it might be dishonest of YOU to re sell it as a LEXUS?

I don't deal in internet innuendo. Whatever I stated is based on SOLID, STATED experiences by MANY friends that were described to me IN PERSON (not on the net), that are LONG time collectors and players (and I mean people that REMEMBER the sixties because they were adults then), have been ripped off DIRECTLY by Ed Roman in innumerable ways that I do not want to waste my time typing up right now. Having his guys build ANY number of guitars (NOT just Jet and Jaros ) that are supposed to be actual name brands is just one of them. I also know PERSONALLY people that worked for Ed that will testify to innumerable shady practices he indulges in that are pretty much fraud. It's also a known fact that he had dealings w PRS , and when that stopped because of PRS's distrust of him, THAT is when he started all his "information" slamming PRS on his site.

There are obviously, as I have stated in several threads here (if you had the class to put in my whole quotes and not clip and edit to to SLANT your own agenda here) people (usually well heeled people walking right in and ready to buy a $4000 guitar - that Ed does indeed put a slight halt on his perpetual BS rants, and sell a great guitar to... I stated that clearly several times.

but you did not have the class to post full comments - like 60 minutes - you chop and edit other people’s words to push your own agenda.

While it is true that if someone walks in obviously looking to buy a high end guitar… that person SOMETIMES gets what he wants and is treated half decent. I have also heard FIRST PERSON accounts of people I KNOW that were going to buy a PRS or above, and were treated so disrespectfully right off the bat, that they just walked out.
    But one of the real disturbing things about Ed is that the people he rips the most are your day to day working guitarist with not much money that are buying a low to mid level guitar because they aren’t well off financially – and Ed sends them total crap – wrong guitars – etc etc … KNOWING they may not have the means to ship it back and ESPECIALLY knowing he can get away with shipping out garbage to people that probably don’t have the money or tolerance to go through a long legal interaction with Ed, as he is a master at dragging such legal interactions out until the financially challenged just quit. Much like don King – ed would rather make a dishonest quarter than an honest dollar., .

If you HONESTLY researched the posts here on TGP – you will find MANY stated accounts of people that had all kinds of wrong things done to them by Ed. Also – I could tell you the manes of about 25 people I know DIRECTLY that have been ripped/lied to/had their money hung up for YEARS by Ed after sending them wrong guitars/broken crap/ guitars with WAY warped necks/after market crap sold as brand new/Korean and other sourced models fixed up and FRAUDULENTLY sold as USA models ..etc etc etc ..

I will not waste my time with a juvenile flame war with you – but this is NOT HC – it’s a higher class forum where people generally hold back details due to a desire for tasteful conduct and conscious behavior, NOT because they are just repeating internet gossip.

Also – I wanted to add that it has been my experience as a musician, especially in my younger years – that one of the wonderful surprises in life is meeting a cab driver that happens to play piano on the level of McCoy Tyner, or a guy assisting a girl at a food stand ata college that turns out to play guitar like Pat Martino. I also love this about TGP – there are a lot of great musicians here in many schools of playing – who are good, decent people as well.
    This quote :
    “o far the vast majority of the people complaining about him either haven't even dealt with him or are like the guy that complained about JET necks being too narrow: he couldn't do bends on the high and low e strings, because the strings came off the fret board. Hmmmm. I bet he's a great guitar player.”

Is pretty low class – as you don’t mention his name! Maybe he got one of the Jet’s that was poorly made by Ed’s cronies in dishonesty! You don’t mention his name. So he can’t even defend himself!! … NICE!

I’ll defend him in absentia.
    I actually bought an old Saul Koll hand made Steinberger copy that turned out to have a Steinberger nut WIDER than the neck – so both high and low E strings DO slip off – I am returning to the collector and NON PLAYER I got it from – so DON’T try to say a high end builder cannot sometimes make mistakes, and that this is the sign of a guy that can not play.

And in a break from the modesty we try to keep as a TGP form … I’ll throw this in to save you from embarrassing yourself through insinuating I had an issue w the Koll cause I can’t play :

My dad conducted the LA Philharmonic after studying with Toscanini, Bruno Walter and Otto Klemperor. He played with the New York Philharmonic at 13. As a Trainer of prodigies he later coached Izakh Perlman when Izakh was 13 - 14. I absorbed innumerable hours of witnessing my dad coach the future classical virtuosos of the world on tone, technique, emotional content, etc… and put it to use.
    I was a prodigy too – when I hit Boston in late 1972 after playing for 2 and a half years, my friends Miroslav Vitous, Eric Gravatte, Jan Hammer, Billy Cobham, Larry Young, Joe Farrel, Flora Purim, Airto, Claudio Roditi, Pete Chavez, Mingo Lewis, Juma Santos, Don Alias, Guiliermi Franco, Randy Weston, Alice Coltrane, Abdullah Ibrahim, Rashid Ali, Herbie Hancock, and Chick Corea all thought I’d been playing for 12 years. They thought I could play a little.

Point being – most people around here try to keep a level of modesty you are apparently not picking up on … don’t be surprised if people that are tastefully leaving out details are doing so out of modesty or just not to step in some crap.

You need to post those whole quotes on Ed AND the links to the threads if you are going to blatantly and distastefully use people’s names to push your pro Ed agenda.

Btw – how old are you and do you work for Ed?

19. Fredrocks

Fredrocks Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=239435
    Here is the link to the full post, and I do not believe it absolves you in any way. First off you did not state anything what so ever positive about ER in that post. You haven't proved any of your negative comments about the deal your friend had either, it is what is called hearsay. How is insinuating that a JET, a fine instrument that you apparently know nothing about nor have ever played, is made in ERs shop "fair play?" My original statement was that I bought the guitar from ER without problem, and all of a sudden I have a "pro Ed agenda?" That is BS.

If anyone looks at the thread you requested I include they can plainly see you hopped in to bash someone whom you have never met, Ed Roman: oh yes this is quite mature. I would have included the link to the moron that doesn't know an violin from a guitar, but I truly cannot remember where I saw it on the web: I suppose my memory problem is similar to your recollection of the above thread. Further I said the guy, who stated he had played for many years, didn't know how to do BENDS. You bend toward your palm on the high e and toward the floor on the low e otherwise the string comes off the edge of the fret. This does make some cool sounds though with lots of gain, but I'm sure someone with your vast experince already knows this.

As to the guitar you purchased that had an improper nut,so that fretting is not possible on the high and low e's, you stated that you bought it from a "collector." How do you know that he isn't the one that put the wrong nut on it? A builder of Jeffrey Earle T's caliber would never let that slide "pal." You went into that thread with the intent of flaming ER, as your first post in it PROVES. So please tell me how bashing someone that you have never met or dealt with is "a desire for tastefull conduct and conscious behavior?" I think THAT to be juvenile behavior.

Now on to the branding issue: Ed Roman bought the rights to the Jaros trademark much the same way, oh, Fender owns Gretsch, Charvel and Jackson and Gibson owns Kramer and many others. Did you know that Leo Fender, the guy that made the good ones, sold the company in the mid sixties? Do the people that sell the guitars that were built post Leo have to say "Hey dude. It really isn't a Fender dude." No they don't. I still don't believe that your friend didn't know who built it, as ER said he built them on his site, but that too is immaterial. As for those poor, poor musicians you ranted about, I really don't buy it. The poor musicians I know usually go to pawn shops, or buy used out of the paper or Guitar Center.

Ed states he has been in the business for over thirty years, but he worked for many other companies before he started his own shop, so I don't think you can blame the bad sales of the sixties on him "man."

As far as your musical abilities go, I am happy that you and your father have been so succesful and gifted. Music is a very difficult way to make a life. Your infrence that I would start running down your playing abilities is quite "tasteful" by the way: I wouldn't do somthing like that JACK, because I don't FU**ing know you. Those types of responses are my point: you say crap you can't prove, so it is crap BUD. What do your musical abilities have to do with anything anyway. For that matter, what does knowing almost every top jazz cat from the sixties have to do with it?

I am in my mid-forties, and I have no affiliation in anyway now or ever with Ed Roman or any of the businesses he has owned past or present. I do remember what I read from his site and others though. I just bought a great guitar built in North Carolina from him with no hassle.

20. rusmurf

rusmurf Member

Not that I want to join in this, but Ed has generated flaming here for years, by countless people.

http://edroman.aleclee.com/main.html

Also, do a few searches here and on google about the leprechauminator!