Jet City 2112RC vs. Bugera V22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GTechNick, Feb 9, 2012.

1. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

So, I need a decent, small amp to leave at my band's practice space so I don't have to lug around my Club Royale 2x12 combo. I have narrowed it down to these 2 and i am looking for YOUR advice if you have used either or both (preferably both but that might be a stretch). Both are similar in price and at the top end of my price range so if you do have other suggestions keep the price range in mind ($300-$400 max). Gracias!

2. KevinYi

KevinYi Member

At that price range you should be able to find a used Blues Jr. and I would probably take that over the V22 & Jet City. My friend bought a V22 for church use and it sounds pretty neat though if the Blues Jr. doesn't fancy your tastes.

3. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

That song of yours is really good, by the way. And I'm very critical. Most people would call me ridiculous and loony about how hard I am on new music. (since Led Zeppelin, basically :) )

I have had the Bugera V22 for over a year. It is a fabulous amp. The clean tone is what I think boutique amps sound like. (I would hope that a $2500 boutique sounds a LITTLE better, but I am not sure that's true)

And Bass.-- with that speaker (not other speakers), it actually has BASS. Not just a hint of bass like Fender and Marshall as you turn the Bass knob up. I LOVE that.

The clean is just fabulous- even better than my Blackstar, which I love also. And the V22 has great, smooth distortion on channel 2 IMO.

The other amp you ask about, I've never tried. If it's as good as the Bugera for under $800, I'd be impressed.

I had another Bugera amp also. It was so loud that I had to get rid of it. (that's a good thing, but I play in a much lower volume way, so I couldn't control it- It was great fun though, wow!!!) Loudest amp I ever heard, I believe. And it sounded good. And it seemed well built from the outside, (didn't look inside) and so does the V22.

There were Bugera problems at the outset of their manufacture, but personally, I haven't had them.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Jet City. Bugeras sound nice, but I've had two. Both died in less than a week. The most recent one was only a couple of months ago.

5. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if the Blues Jr. would have the volume necessary for my band's practice. IDK since I have never played through one. What is your experience?

6. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

Thanks for the detailed info and the compliment. You can download & stream the album for free at bandcamp if you want to hear more.

7. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

Uh oh. Do you know what exactly happened? Is their customer support any good?

8. rjh11

rjh11 Member

Nice song and the bugeras sound great buddy uses a v22 with 2x12 cab and it kills.
    But i have also heard of problems but thats what warrantys are for or a good amp
    tech. By the way buddys is 3 yrs old only had a preamp tube needing replaced which is normal goodluck.

9. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

Anyone have experience with the Jet City?

10. rjh11

rjh11 Member

I also have used and seen the jetcity in action also not bad was being used
    through the jetcity 2x12 cab and 20 watt jetcity head im gonna buy the head
    not a ton of clean headroom though.

11. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

I am leaning towards the Jet City at this point for these reasons... 1. I don't need the 2nd channel option. 2. It is a little bit cheaper ($299 with GC's valentines coupon). 3. There's a list of "multiple return" reviews online (it is a small list, but a list non the less).

Talk me out of it.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The first one, a V55HD about two years ago, the reverb quit working in three days. On day 4 it emitted a puff of smoke and never fired up again. I returned it.

The second one a V22 combo a few months ago, reverb stopped working on around day 4. Around day 7 I returned it for an exchange and when they tested it in the store, the standby wasn't working. It kept making noise regardless of where the switch was positioned. I didn't feel like trying a third, and I never tried to get either of them fixed. If the amp doesn't last a week, it's not something I'm interested in, even if they do fix it.

13. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

That had to be frustrating. I think I see the Jet City in my near future.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback on the amps and the compliments on the tunes!

14. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

You're welcome and thanks for the download info. Good luck to you.

I've owned a Blues Jr. also. I liked it at first, but then I started realizing it sounded kind of small. I think most folks who notice this call it 'boxy'.

It's still a very nice amp. However, the V22 is ANYTHING but small. And I can't suggest you get one because of all the horror stories, but there are more stories out there that say their V22 DID last rather than didn't, I think. And I would think that the newest ones are even MORE reliable.

The V22 sounds more "boutique" and "fine" than the Blues Jr. if that interests you. The Blues Jr. would certainly be dependable though. And I love Fender, can't deny that. :) I had the Blues Jr. Tweed which is more mellow than the black one. The speaker is a Jensen rather than what the black one has. That was a plus for me. I wasn't interested in owning the black one. It was too brash. But the tweed one really interested me for a while.

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm with you on that one. The Bugeras sound really good - way better than the Blues Junior. I really hate those things, especially when you push them.

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

The Jet City has no versatility on the other hand the v22 is very versatile and sounds excellent. pm me if you want to buy my JC combo.

17. rjh11

rjh11 Member

Just get the jetcity and a floor model at that it will be discounted plus others have gave it a go and any bugs should have shown then thats how i would go.