Jet city that sounds like the Soldano HR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatbagg, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:27 AM.

1. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Isnt there one that is designed to be similar to it?

Wondering what people’s opinions are, they can be had for so cheap.

2. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

The JCA50/JCA100 in all their varieties are Hot Rod clones. The iron's not as good and the tubes aren't as good, but that's the only substantial difference. The component quality is quite good inside.

8len8 likes this.
  3. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Would it be safe to say that you can cop a Soldano hot rod tone, even if a lesser and not as ‘good’ version? Hot rod is to SLO what Jet city is to Hotrod?

Never heard Jet city much. I am also interested in the Amelia, I believe it’s close in nature to an Mk50.

4. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

the 100 HDM has upgraded trannies and a few other improvements, but it still has crappy tubes. :D
    change them out, bias properly, clip the bright cap and there's your affordable Soldano. :cool:
    one of the most spectacular deals in rock amplifiers ever, it's my cheapest amp by a mile (got it for 350 new), and it's not going anywhere.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

5. Calebz

Calebz Member

I have a couple mildly modded JCA50 heads. I've not compared them side by side, but I've owned a HR50 in the past.

They don't sound the same, but it's very obvious they come from the same family.

6. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

I own a 100HDM - the iron's the same as the 100H and 100LTD. Power transformer is fine, output transformer is eh (mostly the plate-plate impedance is super low for a quad of 6L6s or even EL34s so it sounds kinda odd). Regardless, very good value for how much they cost. Very solid build, good quality passive components.

ProfRhino and Markdude like this.
  7. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

There was/is a huge thread about them on the guitarampboard. One of the guys had a Hotrod and the Jet City and said with the same tubes they were almost identical. Having played both I would agree. The Jet City stuff is easily the best deal in amps out there.

8. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I've owned both a HR and several JCA's, they're definitely in the same family. At the incredible cost of the Jet City amps, they're a no brainer to me!

9. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

It's not quite a Mk50 clone but it gets in the ballpark. I'm super happy with mine.

fatbagg likes this.
  10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I've never owned a Soldano or even played through one but my JC5012C is one phenomenal amp even with the stock speaker. I have owned many other much pricier amps and half of them couldn't hang with a combo I paid 200 bucks for. It takes my old Bsd Cat Hot Cat 30 out behind the shed and teaches it a lesson.

ProfRhino likes this.
  11. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Asking for too much.
    It's like me thinking I can have a Ceriatone for $725. Nope, life says FU to me.

fatbagg likes this.
  12. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

I originally planned to change the OT, just because, but asked around a bit.
    The reaction of some well respected members of the "DIY-Soldano" community, really experienced builders, was laughter and the undisputed advice of better putting my money elsewhere, good tubes or a set of ET-65s.
    they said the OT in a Soldano style circuit has way less influence on tone than e.g. in a Plexi, as the classic Soldano tones are mostly generated in the preamp. This made sense to me, I had owned an SP-77 before, and it got its tone regardless of power amp (Marshall 9000 & Mesa 50/50 back then).
    So I followed their advice, went all complex by doing the permanent Warren Haynes mod :p and never looked back. The ET65s were a great move, and so were the tubes of course (notably also biasing them way hotter than stock).
    I don't notice much difference (in hindsight) to the (non +) HR50 and SL60 I had owned in the past (unfortunately never two at the same time). The SL60 seemed to be a bit more marshally, iirc, more like an extension of the HDM's rhythm channel.
    but unlike most of my other amp posts, this one is not based on AB testing, so take it with a grain of salt. :dunno
    I use the HDM for the higher gain WH stuff, and the occasional Gary Moore "ballad" thing, and it rocks. :dude

final note :
    afaik, the biggest difference to the SLO circuit are a few pot values that affect the taper, so "painting by numbers" from SLO settings pix won't work - use your ears ! :idea

ymmv, if anybody can explain more about the tech side, I'm always willing to learn.
    Rhino

13. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

Is it noisy? I am looking for an inexpensive combo that sounds decent and GC has the JC5012C for $399. I have read a lot of complaints about it being noisy.

Pastafarian likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Mine certainly isn't. I read about fx loop issues before I bought mine but I dont have those either.

ProfRhino likes this.
  15. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

not the same amp, but I also heard earlier JCA50s had their PT mounted the wrong way, which caused severe hum issues.
    in later models this had been fixed.
    my HDM is super quiet, considering the amount of gain available, but it is a slightly different design and apparently never was affected.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

Pastafarian likes this.
  16. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

A lot of responses for the 50 and 100. I have the JCA2212C, which is a 20 watt combo using 2x EL84s. I really like having the two channels on this, one is a little thinner than the other, but really crunches in a super raw way. I also like the speaker, very crunchy eminence. Combo is kind of big, though, I would have been fine with a head, but it was a trade. Volume is plenty for a 20 watter, unless someone is playing with a very loud drummer. I have no interest in looking into higher power versions ... it's a cheap amp, not going to over think it.

Cool amp, doesn't do squeaky cleans or bass-heavy high-distortion, but has a real nice sloppy slurpy nasty crunch to it. A ton of artifacts, it would be interesting to see if a modeler could duplicate one of these.

blackba and Pastafarian like this.
  17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I had that combo years ago. I think mine was modified when I got it. It had no cleans at all. But the dirt was awesome.

18. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

FYI, Epic-Tone.com has a buffered effects loop mod that's super simple for most of the JC amps. There's a specific one for the Amelia, which I just installed in mine, and another one that works in most amps overall.

Pastafarian likes this.
  19. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

The Amelia absolutely needs one - stock it has a passive loop and it loads the amp strangely.

20. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Agree with all the above posts, GOOD tubes and correct bias go a LONG way on the JCA gear. Mine is modded like crazy now and just love it...

GilmourD, ProfRhino and 8len8 like this.