JET guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by soli528, Aug 7, 2006.

1. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Hey there-
    Does anyone have any experience with JET guitars (made by Jeffrey Earle Terwilliger) out of North Carolina? I read an article about them and checked out his site http://jetguitars.com/, and there's some really fantastic looking output from his one-man shop. Funny, I don't see any discussions on this page, though from what I've read he's fairly well regarded. Check out the little details like the input jack- never seen one like it. :confused:

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Ed Roman seems to love them, so that put a really bad taste in my mouth for them which is totally not fair to Jet. But every time I think of them all I can think of is those Roman guitars. Again, totally not fair.

I'm sure they are great guitars, just wish Ed Roman would have never mentioned them.

3. soli528

I hear ya. What's the story with that ER guy? I picture some gold medallion sporting, cigar smoking, used car salesman. I actually just stumbled across him trying to find info on JET guitars. Those axes look nice though, and I like the idea single guy working by hand with no CNC's in sight, Petrucci wailing in the background...

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I hope he has a CNC other wise I would have serious doubts about the quality.

5. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

doubts based on what?

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

why? there are things a cnc can not do, sure it can cut out the every piece of the guitar, but if you have someone doing it instead of a machine you get a better feel, at least I think you do.

A friend of mine builds guitars without CNC and he is one of the most consistant builders I know of. Other builders have had requests to replicate his neck and non of them with CNC machines can do so.

Why is a CNC machine required for a quality guitar? Big manufacturers use them and look at the quality they put out.

All of those great old guitars were made by hand. Honestly I believe a person pouring everything they have into something they love will be far better than anything a machine can crank out.

Sorry for the highjack and the rant.

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

As it states on the JET website, any inquiries should be directed to JET's Sales Manager, Ed Roman...

You'd have to be out of your damn mind.....

8. Darth Tater

Ahh, so this IS an Ed Roman company. Avoid these turds like the plague, then.

I was just thinking that the Jet logo on the headstock looked an awful lot like the ones on Ed Romans guitars. Bleech.

9. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

soli528,

The reason I'm posting is because I can relate to your one-man shop comment and have 3 Earlewoods with the first one being Miss October 2002. This one is still my favorite, principally because of the 2 tone/volume controls.

My impressions of Jeff's guitars are similar to cpokay's, but there are quite a few builders out there that do exceptional work. I'm not that picky about having a guitar built with "my specs", but I do find JEff's interpritation to inspire me to play them.

Initially I was put-off by the Earlewood's shape, but grew to love it. I briefly owned the Caldera, and while it had similar tones to the Earlewoods, I prefer the Earlewood.

I say similar as I find most guitars to have some tone differentiators. By the way, Jeff also suggested that the tone of the Caldera and Earlewood were essentially identical, but I also just noticed that Jeff has discontinued the Caldera model.

As you're in Decatur, one suggestion I'd offer is for you to make a trip to the Carolinas and visit several of the guitar makers there - see them first hand so to speak.

As to Ed R., I'll only say that he doesn't own JET, but he is Jeff's sales manager.

Hope this helps!

10. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Honestly it was a very good playing guitar.

It is too bad because I just couldn't stomach the ER connection.

11. soli528

Okay, so it's apparent how everyone feels about ER, but jeez, Jeff surely doesn't deserve this kind of slander of his products just because of his sales association with the guy. ER sells quite a few companies that are highly praised here as well, and while said companies may not have him listed as a sales manager, I'm sure they appreciate every bit of business the guy generates for them. I guess I've been guilty of writing off certain bands because they signed to a particular label or something (that's the closest analogy I can come up with) but I wouldn't go bashing their music on message boards- especially without ever having heard it!!!

PanamaCZ, thanks for speaking up as an actual owner of one of these instruments- it's good to hear some actual first-hand experience. I know what you mean about the Earlewood shape- that upper horn is a little funky. I also bet that any shape would grow on me if I liked the sound it produces. I will go look him up next time I'm up that way.

I really just started this thread because I noticed some innovative design features that I hadn't seen anywhere else.

As for discontinuing the Caldera, I wonder if that's because ER sells a lot of PRS singlecuts- they do look pretty similar, yet he tends to put down new school PRS while referring to JET as "There is no better guitar." :worried

12. Darth Tater

If he doesn't like the slander he shouldn't have associated himself with ER. Simple as that.

That's kinda like stating Osama Bin Laden is your policital partner, then catching flack for it. Well dummy..what did you expect?

13. soli528

Wow. Okay man.

14. MOJO

MOJO Member

JET'S are nice guitars but unfortunatly ER is still involved and is enough for someone like myself to look elsewhere ( ed will never get a nickel of my money ever again ) ..hopefully someday jeff wil get out from under ED's exclusive sign your name in blood dealership agreement much like Mcnaught and the world will be right again

the only thing about Jeff's guitar i don't like are the large moon phase inlays..there just too big and to my eye they take away from the beauty of jeff's wood and designs

15. Darth Tater

It is a shame, they might be truly great guitars. Sadly though, most of the guitar buying public will never find out just because of the Ed Roman partnership. When people see Ed Roman, the first thing that comes to mind is 'overpriced crap'.

Wasn't it Terry McIntruff that one day Ed said they were the 'finest guitars ever made bar none' then the very next day they were 'total and utter crap'? Terry must have ended their relationship much like most high end makers have done. PRS (they also went from 'the best' to 'junk' in about 2 days), Gibson, G&L..I'm sure there are many more.

16. BigBone

BigBone Member

17. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    thanks - that's nice to know - I almost bought a Jet for $3K from the guy I bought my Driskill from - was going through a divorce and dumping everything. Good seller.

apparently they hold $3500 - $5K valus resale - maybe because people want one but don't want that little "Goat F@#$@#$ Leprechaun" to get their money.

on the Leprechaun - I know an endless string of people he has ripped off , lied to, bamboozled, and just plain been arrogant as all hhell to.

He is also known to ... "make" supposed high end guitars that he has "exclusives " to .. at his shop - in other words - NOT made by the maker... like J a r o s ... a friend boufght one from the Leprechaun and he later admitted his guys made it, not te maker. He is now plundering the Baker name , etc

BTW - sorry - can't claim I made up the Leprechaun monicker ... it has a few more words added to it and is commonly used on certain ... "mature" guitar forums! LOL!!!

18. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

19. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I have a Jet and it will never leave my grimey hands. First guitar I've ever had were I don't have at least one minor beef with (well maybe the price tag). I had a McNaught before the Jet, and while I like the McNaught, I think the Jet is the better guitar. Granted we are splitting hairs because these are some of the best of the best, but the Jet just fits me better. I could never connect with the McNaught, I always felt like it was whispering in my ear to take it easy; whereas the Jet screams at me to beat the hell out of her. Trust me, give the Jet a shot if you get a chance they f'ing sweet.

20. Jet149

Jet149 Member

That's a silly statement! CNC is not required to make a top notch guitar. I'll put my 2 Jets up against any CNC guitar out there! :nono