Jetter Gain stage black in da house!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingsxman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

My GSblack arrived on Friday. #24 I believe of /30. First time I plugged it into my Lil Dawg D-lux I was blown away by how good it sounded. Incredibly thick with nice tight bass. The pedal has 2 switches on it: hard and soft and I and II. I = JTM 45 gain structure and II = JCM 800 gain structure. The JTM 45 sounds exactly like AC/DC in the early years. Lovely. I found myself digging the JCM 800 sound as this pedal is slated for that kind of sound on my board.

Next I plugged it into my 59 Bassman. Not so good. I found some of the same issues with this combo that I found when I tried the GSBlue for a couple days. Very thin sounding with a fuzziness/harshness that was not real pleasing. None of the tone that I was experiencing with the Lil Dawg. Now, I couldnt turn up the bassman much becuase its such a damn loud amp. I know everyone always raves about the Jetters when they are used at gig levels and Brad himself has said that these are meant to run at gig volumes. So I wonder if thats a big reason why it doesnt sound right with the bassman but kicks ass on the Lil Dawg? Lil Dawg runs hotter at lower volumes. (6v6 in Lil dawg with 6L6 in bassman). I also may need to do some testing of the tubes on this but they should be good.

Last test was gigging the pedal with my Budda Sd45. So gigged with the GSBlack and Budda last night. My goal is to have the GSblack supplant my Tone Bone classic from my pedalboard. I dig the Tonebone but dont like the size of it and the fact that it needs its own power adapter. (Even though its not a ToneBone hot British..I think its got a Marshall flavor to it. )

I wasnt able to play with both GSBlack and Tonebone going all night so I just did some tone tests during sound check and then put the black on the board for the night. Anyway, the GSBlk and Tonebone are both in the same gain realm. I think the TB can be a bit smoother sounding but it is NOT as articulate. The GSBlack had much more note definition within the cord..while still sounding full. The GSblack however was not able to feed back like the Tonebone...which was a bummer. Both had decent bottom end but the Tonebone may have had a touch more bottom..but not as tight as the GSblack. Overall the GSblack sounded a bit more "hi fi" for lack of a better word than the Tonebone. I think the TB has more flexibility with all its switches...but I preferred the black.

The biggest thing I was happy about was that the GSBlk sounded good with my Budda. I was concerned after how it sounded with my Bassman.

High marks for the Black. Its a keeper. I also have the Red and they work well together on my board. Red is a bit fuller sounding pedal with more mids. Just a sweeter sound. I wish I could get a Red with a bit more gain to it. That'd be really cool.

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Wonder if anyone has run one of these against the fetto?

3. kingsxman

4. kingsxman

Well, there were 30 of these shipped out. I'm amazed that no one else has any comments on thiers.

5. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

Mine will arrive today!

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Me too! :)

jon

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

8. js54

js54 Member

Yeah - I have the same problem with my tweed bandmaster. This has something to do with the GS Black's high dynamic level. It really prefers amps that can handle a hot input. It works great with my Plexi.

There is no diode clipping in the GS Black (if I remember correctly). Its very open with little to no compression and therefore it will respond differently than the TB and not feedback quite as easily.

Same point as above - I think the Budda is more plexi like and a better match for the Black.

With the right amp, the Black is a very cool pedal.

I like to run mine with the Volume at unity, Gain around noon, tone about 9:00, Soft and I. With a strat's middle pup, it sounds like a super stratty strat...very cool.

9. kingsxman

Yes, it will be kind of a bummer if it doesnt work well with Fender amps. I wonder if this isnt what I ran into with my GS Blue? I didnt have the little dawg yet and it didnt sound good with my Bassman, Delta blues OR Budda.

I need more time to play with the black but so far....coolness!

10. js54

js54 Member

Agreed! I have had a hard time finding the "perfect" pedal for my tweed amp and rarely if ever find a pedal that works with all my amps. It sure would be nice though. Funny, you mention the TB, but if memory serves, that worked pretty well with my tweed.

The Black might work well with some fender style amps, only time will tell - I find it to have limited workability with my tweed. However, Macaroni gets great tones out of his Kingsly..which I think is based on a fender (I could be wrong).

My feelings are, if a pedal only works really well with a particular amp...that's good enough for me. Unfortunately, I think is very difficult to create a unique circuit like the Black and have it work in all settings.

The dirty rhythm/edge of breakup tones I get out of my GS Black with my strat and plexi are awesome and worth the price of admission. I do not use it for high gain/lead tones.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

According to Simon Jarret, the Kingsley D30/32/32C amps are a cross between a Vox & Fender preamp, and a Vox & Marshall power section. With my D32C, I get very nice variations of flavors from all the Jetter pedals, depending on what power tubes I'm using, ie: 6L6, 6V6, EL34, 5881, etc.

12. Amplite

Amplite Member

I guess everyone who got one is too busy working to pay for it to post.
    I know I am!!!

13. willamps

willamps Member

Just got mine but don't have a gig until Wednesday. Can't really judge any pedal until played at stage volumes fighting with the din. At around- the-house volume I found the pedal a bit thin and fizzy with the switch set to soft and tone around noon, but with the switch on hard and tone backed down to 8-10 its a whole different pedal. The hard switch seems to add upper mids, not extended highs as one would expect, and it seems to balance out the overall highs and gives a lot more clarity, meat and cut even when the tone control is backed way down. I set it in the Lo gain mode with gain around 1:00-2:00 and tried it in my AC30, 56' Tweed Super, Thomas era tube Cambridge, JTM45 clone, and Princeton Reverb and sounded good in all those amps by simply adjusting the tone from off to where I got the required cut for each amp. Cranked up my Cambridge to stage volume, and it sounded glorious. Real articulate, really up front, with a nice Marshally grind.

14. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I've had quite a bit of time to suss out the Black played thru my Z-28's, & I gotta tell you, I'm mighty impressed! Since the Black is my first Jetter pedal, I really didn't have any expectations except from what I've read on the net. I'm fairly astounded at how open & dynamic it is, it's touch sensitivity, & how very amplike it responds to both how you set it, & how you play. Unreal...
    The Black can cop a variety plexi tones, semi-Dumble tones, it stacks nicely, especially as a pre-driver, it cleans up exceedingly well from the guitar volume, & does fantastic clean boost... I've owned dozens of dirtboxes, & my board is currently populated with a mix of BJFE standards & customs. The Black is right at the top with the best of them, no question, & mine has found a permanent slot on my board. It's a fantastic pedal!

15. kingsxman

It really does clean up well doenst it with lowering the volume. I was checking the black out against my Tonebone the other day again and that was a distinct difference between the two. The Black definitely seemed more amp like.

16. willamps

willamps Member

A bit of a follow up. Did three gigs with it and as expected the pedal worked great at stage volume. Fat and crunchy with real nice cut. The pedal cleans up like a vintage fuzz face. Uncanny. If you like a pedal that can go from scream to clean with a twist of the knob this one excels at that. Amp-like dynamics.