Jetter Gain Stage Black - Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonecat, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tonecat

tonecat Member

I have had a full and fun day with my newly received Jetter Black
    #4 of 30.
    I did read the instructions . I started out with the volume at 10:00
    and the gain at 3:00 and the left switch on soft and the tone at 12:00
    and the right switch up. With these settings it sounded like it had less
    muscle than the Gain Stage red.
    I tried bringing the volume up to 12:00 and on cometh the magic.
    as the instructions state 9:30-10:00 is unity with the bypassed sound
    This pedal comes alive 12:00 to 1:00. volume settings less than this
    will not yeald what this pedal is designed to do.
    As for the GSBlack working with Fender amps ,I can say it works VERY
    well with my 1966 Blackface Super Reverb with 7581A's.
    The black cleans up as you reduce the guitar volume better than any pedal I have used . I mainly use a Strat with Kinmans and a PRS with
    humbuckers.
    I am now very pleased with the following gain stage black settings:eek:r on the II position (highest gain)
    Vol 12:00, tone 12:00 Gain max left switch soft and right switch down
    I roll my guitar volume back to 6 or 7 and get cleans that rival the
    clean channel of the Ethos. When I roll the volumn up to 9 or 10. I
    would swear my old 50watt plexi was dumping into a 4 X 12 cabinet.
    This is a pedal for pros or at least people who play live. I think it
    helps to have had played old Marshalls so you can recognise the tone when
    the Black delivers which is surely does.
    Brad this is my third Jetter pedal and I am going to make a point of meeting you one day as we seem to have lots in common.
    Tip of the hat to you ! Truly amazing pedals
    [​IMG]

2. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Great to hear that,, I finally got my chance to try my red this evening.
    Its a very smooth sounding pedal indeed. Im having a difficult time deciding just what pedal the red will be booting off my board,, because it has a definate spot. Im really impressed.

Ive thought about looking into the black but must admit the blue sounds very impressive also. What about that gold coming out?

I tried the red because of the reviews and the sound samples. I wanted something very smooth and liquidy and found it. I ran it tonight with a les paul and my stiletto deuce. I was most shocked to hear how good it sounds when also using it to overdrive my dirty channel of my amp. It makes my dirty channel sound creamy and smooth.

I wonder if the blue would do this also????

3. tonecat

tonecat Member

I wonder if the blue would do this also????[/quote]

The blue is also smooth but quite a different pedal. The Red is VERY
    easy to get amazing tones out of . The blue is patterned after a great fuzz into a Marshall (think Eric Johnson). If you use your tone controls
    on your guitar you can get great violin singing leads or with the gain
    reduced you can get great dumble type fusion tones or Marshall tones.
    Listen to the clips of the blue on the Jetter site and see if you want
    these sounds in your pallette.
    As for the Black it is in your face and more like a P90 where the red is a smooth humbucker.
    I do not know about the gold

4. Amplite

Amplite Member

For those familiar with the Gain Stage Red the Black also has the Hard/Soft switch - good for different amps and guitars. The Black has an additional switch that toggles between Gain 1 and Gain 2. Gain 1 ranges from a great clean boost to a "dirty" edge of breakup vibe - JTM 45. Gain 2 has a lot more gain on tap giving you more of a JCM800 grind.
    All in all the Black has a more aggressive and edgier character than the Red and like Tonecat said it really cleans up great with the guitar volume.
    I personally prefer the Red as I'm a smooth kind of guy but my wife says I'm very edgy!!

5. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I've had quite a bit of time to suss out the Black played thru my Z-28's, & I gotta tell you, I'm mighty impressed! Since the Black is my first Jetter pedal, I really didn't have any expectations except from what I've read on the net. I'm fairly astounded at how open & dynamic it is, it's touch sensitivity, & how very amplike it responds to both how you set it, & how you play. Unreal...
    The Black can cop a variety plexi tones, semi-Dumble tones, it stacks nicely, especially as a pre-driver, it cleans up exceedingly well from the guitar volume, & does fantastic clean boost... I've owned dozens of dirtboxes, & my board is currently populated with a mix of BJFE standards & customs. The Black is right at the top with the best of them, no question, & mine has found a permanent slot on my board. It's a fantastic pedal!

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Great pedal... I've just got one but really don't need it anymore as I sold the amp it was going to be used for. Anyone interested PM me...

7. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

Rich, PM sent!

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I'm still looking for a used GSR, so if any reading this need to unload, please PM me. Thks. MG

9. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Being sidelined with some knee surgery has given me quite a bit of time to explore the Jetter Black that just arrived. I've spent hours with this through my TR Jet combo and it's quite a pair. I mostly use Fuchs and TR amps and the Black has provided just the Marshall voice that I've been looking to add variety to the amplifiers' thick, creamy od sound.

Extremely versatile pedal that, to my ears, does exactly what the literature describes: Gain setting I approximates plexi and II ups the ante to jcm 800 territory. Soft gives a very amplike response while Hard acts more like a trad pedal with some loss of dynamics but adds a more cutting edge to the od. Responds incredibly well to guitar volume.

I've dialed in sounds from edge-of-breakup to full blown searing od in a classic vein. I don't think metal or modern distortion is available here but that ain't within the mission parameters as I understand them. Great blues stuff from greasy notes with plenty of fur on them to more contemporary thick rock and roll character.

Surprisingly, it also sounds great juicing the od channel of the Jet as well.
    Gives the smooth od a grittier edge with endless sustain. Just another really nice voice on tap.

The usual excellent jetter build quality ( I already have the red and blue) and superb sonic character. Excellent, crystal clear instructions as well.

I'm looking forward to doing a side by side with my fulltone ocd, but that won't be for a while.

I won't be able to test this out on a gig until next Friday but will see then how it sits in a band mix. As for now, at anything from bedroom levels to small venue gig volume, playing alone this is one impressive pedal.

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Anyone compared it to the BJF red ( Ive read one on one thread ) or to a Fetto?

The Fetto would be considered a 100 watt marshall sound, heh?

I love my red SO much... this black has my interest peaked. And please everybody.. dont use initials GSB. I dont know if were talking blue or black!

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How much better or perhaps different is the GSB compared to the BOR and CB?

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Does the Black have a different eq than the Red--like less mids and more bass?

Thanks.
    Greg

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Many many questions, my little ones...

In due time we will be graced with wisdom from the mighty 30...

The 30 jedis who have the force with them... ( only 30 gsb pedals out )

In the mean time... enjoy the Darth Vader Blues...

He's a bad mofo... watch out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZBevXohCI

He is my great great great great great evil grandfather!

14. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Nothing like the Red really, very hard edge but in a good way and not quite as much bass as the Red. This pedal really wants to be played loud and will no doubt cut in the mix. I am gigging with it the first time in a bit over a week. I will really see how it does. :)