Jetter Gain Stage Black

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gearboy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gearboy

gearboy Member

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this, but before I do, I was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives. Looking for a mid-high OD to push an already dirty amp into Hard rock and maybe metal territory, but with articulation and clarity. Am I on the right track with the GSB?
    Thanks

2. TimH

TimH Member

3. gearboy

gearboy Member

I have a V2 OCD that I have used for a long time and like. How is the GSB different from the OCD? I tried the MojoDrive thinking that was going to be the one but thought is was too bright my my rig.

4. TimH

TimH Member

no idea man...I know the OCD does a great push so it's just a cheaper suggestion.

5. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

I just got a GSB in the other day and I used to own and OCD. The Jetter is great straight into a clean amp. All the way up the gain knob I was completely impressed. The tone knob is great too. Most of the time I can't turn tone knobs up past 2 oclock but this pedal has usable sounds all the way up. I sold my OCD because there was something fizzy about it that I couldn't put my finger on, but it does sound good through a dirty amp. YMMV

6. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

Spend the extra $70 and get the Black. I have one and love it. I've owned 2 OCD's and much prefer the GS Black. I stack pedals before and after the Black which caused problems for the OCD's that I owned.

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Anybody have the GSG-Gold??

8. js54

js54 Member

Definitely check out either the Gold or the new Purple.

9. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

How do the Purple and the Black differ?

10. gearboy

gearboy Member

....my question as well....

11. js54

js54 Member

I played the Purple along side the Gold and the Black.

The purple reminds me of a '71 50watt Marshall I once had - Its hard to describe, but the Purple has this wonderful Marshally midrange and grind.
    It has less gain, saturation and compression than the Gold, and is fairly dynamic, but at the same time has a lot of tone and crunch that fills things in and you can really dig in and get some great rhythm and lead tones at the same time. The Gold sounds much thicker and has more saturation...a lot more gain.

To address the whole Black = plexi and now the Purple = plexi.....
    here's my take...
    The Black is more like a JTM 45, and in higher gain settings a JCM 800.
    It has tons of bass and is more boost-like. It can sound like a 100 watt with some mild breakup. The Black is waaay more open and dynamic and takes some tweaking to find the sounds...all good, but you gotta spend a little time. Its much more amp dependent.

Both pedals (Black and Purple) have a plexi tonal focus, but there are many different plexi "tones" out there.

The Purple is a crank and go pedal. Again, it sounds like the grind of a 50 watt in a box. It will turn your Blackface or tweed into a grinding plexi.

I hope that helps.