1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jetter Gain Stage Blue, anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kenny D, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

The clips sound pretty good.

Anyone here use any Gain Stage pedals?

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i have one... i love the sound of this pedal, but it is very finiky... you definately can't have bad chops with this one... it is super sensitive to pick attack, and not real good for bluesy string rake type playing... great for hybrid picking chords... takes a bit of time to dial in, and may require re-EQ'ing your amp to get the real "EJ violin" tone.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Good assessment CoolHand. The GSB is one Jetter that is a keeper for me. Nothing else is like it IMO. Bring your chops and be prepared to dial it in. Once there, there's nothing that can touch it.

This is from a long-term owner. It def stands the test of time.
    -bk

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love my Blue. It's one of the best pedals I've ever used. It really helps when using the tone knob on your guitar.

6. honduras

honduras Supporting Member

I have one for sale at $190. Excellent condition with velcro. PM me if interested.

7. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

It's not a pedal that i use a lot, i'm constantly trying to find places for it, but it has a bit of a bite (pick attack) at the very beginning of the note that i really cant get rid of... even with the tone rolled completely back on my guitar,using fingers everything i can think of... i love the tone of this pedal, i just have a hard time trying get rid of the "bite"... I personally use the fd2 mosfet for a more liquidy type lead tone...

8. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Thanks for that link.

I think am going to order a GSB. The clips were great sounding. I am a tweaker so I am not afraid of a few people having a hard time with dialing in a tone.

I just received my CeriaTone Plexi 50. I have a FuzzFace already and am going to try that tomorrow (Saturday) up at the studio.

9. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Sincere thanks for the offer. I may contact you.

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I have a Blue and I love it. I mostly use it for edge of breakup to get that almost clean Larry Carlton sound. I also drive it with a clean boost. Very dynamic and open. You really have to be on top of your technique as it is not forgiving, but that is one of the things I love about it. I also use it to get that EJ/ Holdsworth type feel. It's a bit counterintuitive with how you would expect the switches to work for you.

Definitely unique.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I am the OP of that thread and am really happy to see that it's still helpful for those looking for that "EJ" tone, and lots more. I can tell you that it's been quite a while since I bought the Blue and it's a keeper. Just be aware of the points in the thread and you'll do great!

12. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Thanks, BK.

I have had a lell of a time getting that "EJ thang" going. The new amp and GSB should do it for me, methinks.

I generally like a darker tone to begin with - I hate raspy, nu-metally tones. I bought the Plexi with the EJ tone in mind.

If anyone is interested, I'll have two 5150s on eBay shortly.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Kenny,
    I get the Plexi with fuzzface tone with the GSB into a Fender Deluxe Reverb for God's sake. You actually don't need the Plexi to "get there". In fact, the GSB is designed for a squeaky-clean amp.

Let us know how it works out for you. Also, don't hesitate to contact Brad at Jetter. He is a wonderful player with great gear experience and can help you with whatever questions you may have.

14. js54

js54 Member

BillyK and the other guys here are pretty spot-on in their asessment of the Blue.

I was just playing my strat, the GSB through my plexi with some delay in front (a Digitech Digidelay - nothing too fancy) and its EJ all the way.

I have all the other Gain Stages side by side (and then some), plus the new Dunlop(way huge) JH-FuzzFace and next to all those pedals the GSB really delivers the EJ tone the best. It has a fullness that really lends itself to the EJ thang more so than the other pedals. It also has that slight fuzz on the top of the notes that you hear on EJs live stuff.

But again, to capture the EJ thing in all its glory, you gotta have the delay!!! I know some cats will say..."oh the delay will make anything sound good...boo hiss" Whatever......then I guess EJ is really a bad player hiding behind delay....;)

The point is Brad worked for a year on that pedal and we kept going back and forth on prototypes until it was just right. We had one goal in mind..capture the gain structure, dynamics and harmonic content we were hearing on ALC. I think he nailed it...so do a lot of other folks. But, as its been stated here many times, they key is the whole rig and the player.
    BTW, using the "little red pick" dosen't hurt either...LOL!

Regarding the Fuzzface, that new Dunlop JH is pretty darn cool, but you need to be playing DAMN loud to have it smooth out like and sound like the Blue. That to me, is the beauty of the Blue- you get that fuzz into a raging marshall effect without going totally deaf...you still need the your amp loud for the Blue, just not Hendrix concert loud.

Kenny D,
    ....you should have no problems getting the tone with your new plexi.

15. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Well, I got the Plexi, which I played for the first time tonight (what a nice amp). Now, I need the Blue.

You guys, have more than one Jetter pedal? Why? What is it about the others that you would buy more than one?

BTW, I have delays up the ying yang. I have two TC G-Majors - one for clean and one for dirty. BTW, between the TC G-Major and a BBE sonic maximizer, I got EJ's clean tone down pat. I'll post a clip at some point.

The Blue is on the way!

Thanks for the info, everyone!