Jetter Gain Stage Blue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, Feb 20, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

TGPers, I know some of you can help so here we go.

I've been wanting to get a lead pedal solely for those EJ style lead tones. I'm not wanting an exact copy of his tone as I know I won't get there but I'm liking the whole cranked plexi with a fuzz face to top it off sound for a lead tone. I like running my amp loud and clean, JUST on the verge of breakup so i was initially thinking of the 200lb of Tone by Lovepedal. It was looking good but the wait is uncertain and i don't like the new look of em. I stumbled across the Jetter Gain Stage Blue.

I'm gonna be using a Ceriatone Overtone as my main amp and will be running it clean. Will the Jetter Gain Stage Blue get me into that cranked plexi with fuzz face when I'm using it into a clean amp? My other drive pedals; Eternity, Zendrive, Silver Kiss and my muff-style fuzz is a ? Lady. I'm guessing there's not much overlap with the Jetter Blue?

Pleaes chime in :D

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Didn't do it for me at all. The only thing i can find to get me close to that tone has been the XTS Precision Overdrive. The BK Tube Driver is great infront of a plexi too, but you really need to get the valves working for it to do it any justice.

3. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

Hey Benben, I've actually used the Jetter Gain Stage Blue in a similar setup as yours, running it in front of the clean channel of an amp. The first time I used it was in front of the clean channel of my Fuchs ODS 100, set purely clean, no dirt. It was nice and fat and I did indeed get a very E.J. violin like tone. However, I soon realized that I really prefer the versatility of tones one gets from running high quality pedals in front of a very clean amp. The Fuchs has a nice clean sound, but not as sparkling as an old Fender. I recently ended up trading my Fuchs for a Carr Rambler. The Rambler is an extremely clean sounding amp, like a really good blackface Fender.

My first concern when trying the GSB in front of such a clean amp was whether or not it would still sound fat and not be harsh. Fortunately, in front of the Rambler, I was also able to get very nice E.J. violin tones from the GSB. But, I soon found that I could get similar and even fatter and a tad bit smoother violin-like tone from running a Fulltone '69 in front of a Fulltone OCD, into the Rambler. This set up definitely gives a lot more flexibility in adjusting the amount of "buzz" in the tone, which one really can't control as much with the GSB. As others have mentioned, the "buzz" is always there with the GSB, in varying degrees.

The GSB is a nice pedal, but if you have a fuzz pedal and a plexi style pedal in your collection already, you may want to experiment with those two first. I also tried using a Big Muff clone in front of the OCD into the Rambler, with pretty bad results. I think the key in this set up is to use a smoother fuzz, more of a fuzz-face style, like E.J. uses anyway. Of course, the advantage of the GSB is that it's a combination of two sounds in one tap of the switch, so you don't have to tap dance to go from clean to dirt and back!

Just one man's opinion of course.

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

I see, haha, using a plexi style drive and a fuzz sounds good but it just means i gotta go out and get two more drive pedals which is not what I'm wanting to do as my projected board is already too big.

The few pedals i have now are the E, the Zen and the Silver Kiss. And neither of these are voiced like a plexi. If the GSB works well into a clean amp then it might be the choice for me?

5. benbenben

benbenben Member

Thinking about it, I was really digging the the new Hendrix Signature Fuzz Face by Dunlop, what sorta plexi tone in a pedal can i pair it up with to get me that EJ violin? I'm trying to keep costs low, so maybe something very simple? I read the King of the Britains is good, but its just too much tweak for me? Anything smaller, maybe a 3 knob config?

6. SL_22

SL_22 Member

The Fulton-Webb Textosterone could get you close. I use it through a Marshall 2061x turned about halfway up. It's a very warm and thick. Coupled with a compressor, it's pretty smooth sounding.
    It reminds me of Clapton's Cream tone, which Eric bases his lead tone on.

7. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member