Jetter Gain Stage Purple Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Got a GSP in this week and tried it out at rehearsal last night. This is my first Jetter pedal. I've read an opinion that this is the best Gain Stage yet....and if that's so, I don't know that I'll be trying any others.

It's a great gain box but didn't really impress me a whole lot. Just kinds of sounds like many other boxes out there in the same category. Not bad but nothing special or unique, kind of average sounding really. And I had it cranked. I actually still prefer my OCD v3 over the GS Purple.

Just an honest review, take it with a grain of salt and of course, YMMV.

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Yeah all reviews should have a salt chaser. I don't know about the Purple but the Red is one fantastic OD that hangs with the best IMHO. I encourage you to try others in the line.

3. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

what guitar / amp were you using?

i know the website states it will turn a fender into a marshall and that is exactly what it did for my DRRI.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Orange RV50 Clean Channel, 4 6V6's. One of the best pedal amps (actually the best) that I've ever played through. Think Deluxe Reverb but way better.

Yeah, it does turn a clean fenderish amp into a Marshall, but there are countless pedals that do this. All I'm saying is that it really didn't impress me. I like my OCD better. I've been through about 50 overdrives in my 15 years of playing so I know something special when I hear it.

Not knocking Brad or the Jetter line, just my opinion.

5. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

thanks for sharing your opinion. i am wondering how the purple would sound into an EL84 amp like a vox or a different circuit like an orange. i wonder how much variation there will be from amp to amp. from your findings, there seems to be quite a lot.

i've had the OCD, Box of Rock, COT50, etc. etc. as well and this one turned out to be pretty special for me and my rig. there was always something about the aforementioned pedals that i could nitpick about (too bright (COT50), too much bass (BOR), fizzy top end (OCD), but i haven't had such compaints about the purple yet. it excels at bedroom volumes, cleans up well, feels natural, and plain sounds great for my rig and ears. just offering another opinion for prospective gain stage buyers, esp. those with a fender amp.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Interesting ... HarryJ (who does very trust worthy shootouts..)
    likes the Purple the best of all the Jetter pedals ...

We all have have different tastes of course...
    I've never found an OCD version that I could live with ...
    always too much edge for my tastes ... but I love the Jetter Red ....

So have been very curious about trying out a Purple ...

It sure sounds great in this youtube...
    Sounds like it has just a touch more edge then the Red, but with a tighter bass:

YouTube - Jetter Gear Gain Stage Purple

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  7. RMC519

RMC519 Supporting Member

I have a GSB and I am ready to get rid of it. Not my cup o tee I suppose...
    It's a bit "brash" and over the top for my playing.