Jetter Gain Stage Purple

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Feb 15, 2008.

1. nibus

nibus Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have any info on this new pedal by Jetter?

On the site it says:

"Plexi style tones. Very dynamic, open and amplike in feel. Crunchy rhythm to singing lead tones"

Seems to me like it might be a Gain Stage Black with more gain and more compression.

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah, from the descriptions the red and gold seem like slightly different versions of the same circuit as do the purple and black.

3. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

The GS Purple shares nothing with the Black. The Purple will be shipping in < 2 weeks. $199. Info will be added about it to the website soon.
    [​IMG]

4. nibus

nibus Silver Supporting Member

Now I'm even more curious...

5. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

How do you do it Brad? I mean some of these guys take a year or more to get a pedal in your hands and that's all they do is offer one pedal. Cheers to you man :BEER

6. tonecat

tonecat Member

I would love to hear from the players that have tried the GSPurple prototype.

I have 2 reds and a black and I am truly happy with them !!!

7. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting a bit confused Brad. I own a Red and a Black....and I'm starting not to be able to keep all the offerings straight.

8. zygleth

zygleth Supporting Member

Do these pedals at all sound/act similar to a Timmy/Honey Bee/BB/Fetto/L-OD? Or ae they in a different league?
    I know I'm crossing effects but don't want to duplicate existing sounds. Thanks

9. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

My understanding was that they both are going for the Plexi sound - could you elaborate a little more about the "share's nothing" comment when you come up for air so I can make my decision on which to order (or at least which to order first:D).
    Love my Red, by the way.:AOK

10. JPenn

JPenn Member

I read the decription on the website a few days ago and am very interested in it as well.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I think he means they share nothing except the description - which are nearly identical. I'm a bit confused myself.:crazy

12. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

From my understand, the Black is a cranked JTM whereas the Purple is a JCM.

13. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

That description doesn't sound very 'JCM' to me...sounds way more 'plexi'.

It is a bit confusing when they already have a pedal described as "...the most faithful reproduction of a classic cranked Marshall..." (i.e. the Black) and then come out with a new pedal this is described as "Plexi style tones. Very dynamic, open and amplike in feel. Crunchy rhythm to singing lead tones".

I've got a GSR on the way and I'm looking for a 'Marshall' pedal so I'm interested in the differences too.

14. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a question. Couldn't all of these circuits be put into one single box, and accessed with a rotary dial or something?

15. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

Or a footswitch. Seriously, a pedal like the VS Jekyll & Hyde (independent volume/tone/gain) that could footswitch between JTM/JCM would be sweet.

16. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

THe Black does to both JTM 45 and JCM 800. I have one. Thats the sound.

Not sure how the Purple can improve on it, but I'm guessing its going to be more "amp" friendly. (i.e. will play nice with a wider assortment of amps). My Black sounds killer with my Lil Dawg and my Budda. A bit thin on the 59 bassman.

REd kicks ass with everything.

17. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Yes, the descriptions don't make clear what the differences between the two pedals are, tone-wise and/or design-wise.

18. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

It would depend on the circuitry of the pedals. Brad Jetter may be using very different ways of modifying/generating the signal in each of these pedals. If that's the case, a multi-sound unit would be no smaller & cheaper than building each of the single units. IMHO, it's a lot harder to tweak a small pedal circuit to create the tonal differences between a JTM & a JCM than it is to do that inside an actual amplifier.

19. js54

js54 Member

I have both the Black and the Purple.

I agree the text descriptions make the pedals sound very similar. But playing them its a different ball game. I believe Brad is working on enhancing the descriptions.

To me the biggest differences are in the voicing and the dynamics.

The Black - like a boost pedal in its dynamic range and feel. Extremely dynamic, cleans up beautifully, but it does put a lot of signal into your amp. The Black is waaay more amp sensitive. There is no diode clipping in the circuit, so it will not compress like most ODs.
    The Black has a wider frequenct response - tons of bass!!!
    It can go from creamy, JTM 45 tones to higer gain JCM 800 lead tones. It has more versatility - 2 switches.

The Purple - more conventional OD feel, but still has great dynamics. This one was played side by side with a very popular pedal and to the ears of everyone in the room, it was much better - more balanced tonal response and way more amp like and did not sound like a pedal.
    The Purple has more CRUNCH.
    The Purple has a sweeter and defined mid range - think 50 watt plexi crunch. Its NOT a mid-hump, Brad just was able to voice this guy more specific to a great 50watt plexi/metal panel amp. Wonderful for rhythm or lead.

Again, to simplify:
    Black = EXTREMELY dynamic and bold with JTM45/JCM800 voicing.
    Purple = Balanced with good dynamics, 50watt Plexi style voicing.

This is how I hear it...YMMV. All this is based on very generalized descriptions and an agreement of what the different Marshall models sound like.

20. wahwah

wahwah Member

I have the Jetter GS Purple, and it is definitely aimed at emulating the 50w Plexi sound, specifically but not exclusively working well with BF voiced amps or similar. It compares to the low gain range of a Crunch Box, which I've always found to be more Plexi anyway. The Crunch Box only really seems to take on its JCM800 persona once the gain gets up around 11:00. The Purple is like a Crunch Box with the gain around 9:00, but the comparison is favorable to the Purple, because it sounds more like an amp and less like a pedal than the CB. It also cleans up very well, which the CB doesn't. Getting a black face Fender to sound like a convincing early 70's Marshall, while retaining its dynamic range and sensitivity, is a good trick, and it's a trick that the Purple does very well. Great fun to play, strident without being unruly. Good pedal.

Cheers..................................wahwah