Jetter GS 167

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
Wondering if anyone has tried the Jetter GS-167.
Based on a Dumble BluesMaster HRM.

Youtube Ben Forehand video of the pedal sounds really nice.

Jake

jAcKoFsPeEd

I've got a Helium, GS3 V2 and a 45/100 and have had a Jet Drive. Jetter's getting about as bad as Lovepedal with multiple tweaks to a circuit and calling it or putting a new # on it and putting it out there as this sounds like this amp and now this one sounds like that amp. Prymaxe and PGS either don't carry Jetter anymore or don't have any in stock. There's plenty on Reverb though........pay full price and try and sell it later and take a $100 hit. Jetter pedals have some of the worst resale value. $250 is $50-$75 to much for a three knob pedal where the tone knobs mid position is 2:00, which leaves you from 2:00-5:00 to add some treble.

Last edited:

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Cool tone, but IMO that tone has highly limited utility. Wouldn't work in a rock context. (And for the record, it sounds nothing like Robben Ford's tones).

la noise

Dumble's are overrated amps, anyways.
Maybe the most overrated amps that ever
were. The fascination with putting them into
pedal form is utterly beyond me. :huh

Seegs

I could make that pedal work for me in a lot of situations...

I have a Sebago...Dumble SSS style amp and it has an amazing clean tone this pedal would mate with it perfectly methinks...I love it!

I'll look for a used one for about 150...

petty1818

I've got a Helium, GS3 V2 and a 45/100 and have had a Jet Drive. Jetter's getting about as bad as Lovepedal with multiple tweaks to a circuit and calling it or putting a new # on it and putting it out there as this sounds like this amp and now this one sounds like that amp. Prymaxe and PGS either don't carry Jetter anymore or don't have any in stock. There's plenty on Reverb though........pay full price and try and sell it later and take a $100 hit. Jetter pedals have some of the worst resale value. $250 is $50-$75 to much for a three knob pedal where the tone knobs mid position is 2:00, which leaves you from 2:00-5:00 to add some treble.
As much as I love Jetter pedals, I tend to agree. Brad is getting a bit ridiculous with his "new" pedals. it's at the point where he releases something new, does not even give enough detail on it or demoes and then discontinues it. The BR1200, GS103 and GS68 are now discontinued and they were out for maybe a year? The indigo fuzz was another example. Apparently his new "zap" pedal is a new and improved indigo.

He just does not give his pedals enough time to catch on before discontinuing them. I find it's to the point where he announces something, does not reply to any comments on his Facebook page about it, does not release any videos and then it's gone. Again, I love his pedals but I agree, his prices are a bit stupid and it's just hard to get that excited for a pedal that will probably be discontinued and forgotten soon.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
As much as I love the Jetter stuff, I have to grudgingly agree. The pedals are generally similar enough that theres not a big point in having more than one, particularly in a live setting. I've been running an Altair IV through its paces and find that it has that "Jetter Sound", which is close to several of the other Jetters I've owned. The boost is fantastic and the drive is unique enough that I'll keep it but I don't think I need any others in the line after this one. I so wish there were some other overdrives on the market to try out.......like forever.....

jAcKoFsPeEd

After the four months or so after I wrote that, I picked up a GS103 a GS167 a ltd. ed. chrome GS124 AND a Train Drive.......some new some used but in like new condition, $75-$100 off of list. I just like these pedals, they work for me, and I HATE white pedals(only ones I have). First thing upon getting them out of the box is the stock knobs(worst looking stock knobs in existence) are replaced with gold Marshall knobs. Please don't ask for a comparison between them. Not wild about how Jetter discontinues pedals almost as soon as their released though.

OverDrivenGtr

Silver Supporting Member
After the four months or so after I wrote that, I picked up a GS103 a GS167 a ltd. ed. chrome GS124 AND a Train Drive.......some new some used but in like new condition, $75-$100 off of list. I just like these pedals, they work for me, and I HATE white pedals(only ones I have). First thing upon getting them out of the box is the stock knobs(worst looking stock knobs in existence) are replaced with gold Marshall knobs. Please don't ask for a comparison between them. Not wild about how Jetter discontinues pedals almost as soon as their released though.
Please don't ask for a comparison between them? Isn't that the point of these boards? To share our experiences and leave info so that future potential customers have some general info to go on before making a decision on which pedal to buy. I'd personally love to hear your comparisons.

petty1818

Yeah, not sure why writing a comparison would be so hard? Personally, I don't hear a ton of difference between the GS103, 167 or 124. As mentioned, they all have that Jetter sound. Even my Jet Drive can sound almost identical to the Red Square I had and although the 124 is a bit more unique, it's not that different. I would be more curious as to why you would want all three? Can they really be that different?

I still say that Jetter pedals sound their best at gig volumes. At home, they are not as inspiring.

OverDrivenGtr

Silver Supporting Member
I do agree that many of his pedals overlap a ton. The Jet Drive can be made to sound like the Helium which is half of the Red Square and Gold Standard. The boost side of the Dharma can sound like the Helium a bit, or like the blue side of the Jet Drive. The Gold 45/100 is a lower (ish) gain half of the Gold Standard, and can cop some Dharma purple side tones. Don't get me started on his Dumble pedals tones. The similarities go on and on.

The real unique ones for me are the BR1200 and Traindrive. Love the BR, couldn't begin to even like the Traindrive. What I'm looking for is a more Marshall-y, less Fender-y sounding pedal than the BR1200, to pair with it, that has some of the same characteristics as the BR. Which are, incredible gain range (does clean to mean), ability to sound "normal" and "thick" (shift switch), and has plenty of brightness available on the tone knob. I like bright clean tones, and a little bit darker drive tones, and have found some of Brad's pedals too dark sounding even with the tone all the way up. I'm hoping the Grissom pedal covers what I'm looking for, otherwise it's time to find another Dharma.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to argue with the points in this thread. I've owned a bunch of Brad's stuff, and while it's all great, there is a lot of overlap. Honestly, if he'd make a dual pedal with more EQ ability it would be a great value for his customers, particularly those of us who play in different rooms, different bands etc.

That being said, it befuddles me why the resale is so shaky - overlap or not, his pedals are top shelf, particularly live. Maybe if things were around longer they'd get the rep they deserve.

petty1818

Hard to argue with the points in this thread. I've owned a bunch of Brad's stuff, and while it's all great, there is a lot of overlap. Honestly, if he'd make a dual pedal with more EQ ability it would be a great value for his customers, particularly those of us who play in different rooms, different bands etc.

That being said, it befuddles me why the resale is so shaky - overlap or not, his pedals are top shelf, particularly live. Maybe if things were around longer they'd get the rep they deserve.
I think you nailed it… he doesn't give his pedals enough time to catch on. I remember when he first started out, his pedals were showing up in popular magazine/online reviews and you could find demoes of them. Back when I purchased the Jet Drive V2, Brad was really starting to gain some popularity in the boutique world. For a while, he was releasing new pedals but he was keeping them in his line up for a while. Resale back then wasn't amazing, but it was better than it seems to be now.

Fast forward to the past 1-2 years and Brad seems to have abandoned this approach and is more interested in releasing new pedals every two months. I haven't seen an online review of one of his pedals in a very long time except for the GS124. I know this isn't a huge deal but he also does not have any Canadian dealers now so people like myself, stopped ordering his pedals. If it wasn't for Mike Hermans, Jetter would have almost no new online demoes of his pedals.

petty1818

I do agree that many of his pedals overlap a ton. The Jet Drive can be made to sound like the Helium which is half of the Red Square and Gold Standard. The boost side of the Dharma can sound like the Helium a bit, or like the blue side of the Jet Drive. The Gold 45/100 is a lower (ish) gain half of the Gold Standard, and can cop some Dharma purple side tones. Don't get me started on his Dumble pedals tones. The similarities go on and on.

The real unique ones for me are the BR1200 and Traindrive. Love the BR, couldn't begin to even like the Traindrive. What I'm looking for is a more Marshall-y, less Fender-y sounding pedal than the BR1200, to pair with it, that has some of the same characteristics as the BR. Which are, incredible gain range (does clean to mean), ability to sound "normal" and "thick" (shift switch), and has plenty of brightness available on the tone knob. I like bright clean tones, and a little bit darker drive tones, and have found some of Brad's pedals too dark sounding even with the tone all the way up. I'm hoping the Grissom pedal covers what I'm looking for, otherwise it's time to find another Dharma.
The fact that the BR1200 was discontinued shocks me. It did seem to be one of his more unique pedals and I remember Mike Hermans stating that it was his favourite. He definitely did not give that pedal any time to catch on. He seems to be obsessed with the dumble tones lately and it's getting a bit old. He should just make a pedal that can get the full range of dumble tones that he has come up with and call it a day.

Totally agree about some of his pedals being too dark though. That's what I found with the helium side of the red square. It always muddied up my tone.

Badspike

Noticed today that the GS 167 has already been discontinued. It's a nice pedal and definitely works well with my 5f1 combo. I suspect though if I went to resale it I would take it a substantial hit. Looks like the Grissom pedal has replaced it as the latest and greatest.

petty1818

Noticed today that the GS 167 has already been discontinued. It's a nice pedal and definitely works well with my 5f1 combo. I suspect though if I went to resale it I would take it a substantial hit. Looks like the Grissom pedal has replaced it as the latest and greatest.
One thing I have noticed with Brad is that he's big on bringing back pedals. I heard that the Dharma might return and he did bring back the Jet Drive and then discontinued it again. He also seems to include discontinued pedals into his dual drive models. The Grissom and Altair interest me but I have a big feeling that the Altair in particular will be discontinued any day now. Brad seems to love discontinuing pedals that are fairly unique. He keeps around the standards.

OverDrivenGtr

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Dharma as one of my main ODs and I've got a Grissom and Altair on the way. I just went through a 4 month search for a Dharma and finally found one brand new in Canada. Now he's saying he might bring it back, just my luck. :cool:

I have owned two other Dharma's in the past that I foolishly traded because I never expected the pedal to be discontinued. It is his best sounding drive IMO. I like lots of his other pedals too but all had one or two small little quirks. I can't wait to try out the Grissom. Curious to see how he EQ'ed it, particularly in the midrange.

Trending Topics