Jetter GS Black vs. Carl Martin Plexitone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to tweak my BSIAB II a little more when I get it back in the case, but short of going over-the-top and getting an Egnater M4 preamp, I'm looking at these two pedals (GS Black and CM Plexitone). Looking for that early ACDC/Cult 'Electric' sound (cranked JTM/Plexi, upper mid honk) from my SRRI, good for rhythm and lead. If I could find the 'amber' channel of the Peavey JSX in a box, I'd like that.
    I'm not interested in the Menatone KOB at the moment (although that Kar Krash YouTube video has me drooling); for that kind of money, I'd consider a new amp.
    Can anyone compare the GS Black and Plexitone?

Thanks,
    Buck

2. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I like my GS Black a lot but I don't have a way to compare it with the CMP. I would add that it does also have a JCM800 setting too, although I prefer the JTM45 flavor myself best.

The GS Black isn't as rich as my GSR, but I like having the contrast when I want something with more edge. It rocks for aggression. It does AC/DC imho.

3. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

What I can tell you is that the Plexitone may not be a good match for an SRRI. According to the builder himself, the Plexitone is designed with minimal filtering in mind, i.e. it's not an amp in a box that is designed to turn a Fender into a barking Marshall. IMO it sounds best on middy amps.

The Plexitone is one of those "could have been killer" pedals. They should at least come with some switching options for tweaking the gain stage(s) and at least a bass trimpot to dial down some of the bass. As it stands now, there is only one tone that it is capable of, with switchable gain settings. There are also a few complaints about the distorted signal leaking into the background while the pedal is bypassed. To which, the designer's take on this is that they're so used to bufferred pedals and as such the Plexitone should be preceded with one. That's a load of crap in my opinion, as this is a dirt pedal, and may presumably the 1st in the chain, if not very early so the designer expecting users to have a buffered pedal in front of it is a bit silly. There is a mod though according to them and they'll do it for free, but you have to send the pedal all the way to Denmark, which kinda sucks. They should just give out the schematic of the mod to give end-users the option of doing it themselves (at their own risk of forfeiting warranty).

4. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Yeah it is a real bummer that pedal....we have almost sold none...and we get complaints in spades;)
    I can say that we have heard from under 10 with troubles with bleeding.....
    If you like options and more knobs...get something else...simple...
    Yeah we will tweak your pedals for free...will cost you the shipping...that sucks!
    We have too many who fiddles with stuff they do not have the skills to perform....and we still fix their little ooooops...for the cost of shipping....that sucks!!
    As with all other things, try and see if it fits the bill....if not, loads of other nice pedals out there.....but no no no no...we suck....;)
    Sorry that we make pedals.....hehe
    Niels

5. gucka

gucka Member

It IS a killer pedal. The absolutely most great sounding and dynamic drive i've tried! (Haven't tried the Jetter, though...) No troubles with 'bleeding' here.
    The versatility with the channel switching is also a nice bonus, but i bought it for the huge sound.

-thomas

6. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Hi Niels,
    I think you took my post in the wrong way -- anyway, my apologies if I have offended you, rest assured it was not my intention to malign or discredit you or your product in any way. Just wanted to state my opinion.

Regarding the distorted signal bleeding, would you actually believe that one of the demo clips from this online spanish (or was it italian) retailer demonstrates this bleeding problem? Let me look for the link -- I actually stumbled upon that clip from the CM forum.

And Niels, I NEVER said that the Plexitone sucks. For what it's worth, I love the tone it's capable of, and your clip of it running it through a Hiwatt w/ a Delayla and a few other pedals got me a couple of sleepless nights. But alas, I don't have a Hiwatt. I just really hope that it was a bit more flexible with the mids and bass. That's all. You can't expect all users to be using 4x12s all the time, right? But hey, you're the designer and I'm just a pedal whore giving my opinion. Really, no offense meant whatsoever.

Lastly, I love your comp and am certainly considering the boost kick (yes, I'm the same guy who asked about it in the CM forum).

7. TimH

TimH Member

Thanks for responding. You can bet this customer will take to heart the "get something else" in every instance I can, whether we're talking OD pedals or anything else. I know you meant this tounge in cheek but it's bad form, IMHO, for a builder to slag someone for their opinion.

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Slagging??
    What slag?
    Did not call anyone names....I was just making a dry remark about the "lousy service"! we provide;)
    We have sold more than 2000 units by now.....very few have troubles.
    I am just informing on what I know.
    Alot of people also use them on normal Peavey amps, Classic 30 and so, Blues Jrs...alot run of the mill stuff....works fine for those!
    It is not made for flexibilty, it is made for that glassy bottomheavy sound, it is no 800 or metalpanel pedal, it is that old 1959 SLP from back then it was molded after, with a some extra overdrive to it, like when you push those old things with a comp or a cleanbooster.
    I am simply answering on what has been heard and such....
    Well no problem, I am just talking straight here.....he has a right to his take on things, I am just being direct about it....fail to see anything that is putting him down.....
    It seems like it is more the other way around, as he himself have not experienced the problem on a firsthand basis...
    Amps are all different, that is the major trouble, no setups are alike...
    Guitarrigs are a huge variable to deal with.
    But that is just how it is!:)
    Anyways there is alot of other cool stuff out there....we are just not into multiple switches and stuff like that, only in small variations, as it is not our ideal frame for sounds!
    If people have trouble with our gear, get in contact with us instead of this!!
    That is somehow bad form to me!!
    As we provide the service to get it to work for the person who has bought a pedal from us, even second hand ones!!!!
    We are not here just to make money, we want to have happy customers as well.
    Niels

9. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Hi Niels,

I think it's a language problem we've got here. If you re-read my post, I have never made any claims about bad service from you or your company. I've simply stated my opinion about the Plexitone for the benefit for the thread starter. If you can't take constructive opinions about your products, well, then, sorry but welcome to "teh intarweb".

Oh, and as promised, here's the link to the clip which clearly demonstrates the bleeding problem, as reported by a few forumites here in TGP:
    http://www.strumentionline.com/prod...d=160&osCsid=3cbda968b6f26dc50779ff2bffc19df3

If you listen to the "Plexitone Sample All In One", you can hear it right after the boost switch is engaged, just before the crunchy riff part.

Bucksears, I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Was heavily considering the Plexitone as well. I felt it was worth mentioning that some people had the "bleeding" problems. If you do have a midrangey amp I would recommend it based on the stellar clips of it through such amps. One youtube clip that stood out particularly was the one below. I love the tone that the guy was getting. But I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea. But it's really one of the better clips out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnsVUyQJN3g

10. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Sorry to veer slightly off-topic again, but I'd like to ask Niels -- if there is a mod that solves the distorted signal "bleeding" problem, why isn't this mod incorporated into the production line? Or is it? Just curious.

11. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Try all 2n5457's in the BSIAB. I have a few more tweaks but try that first.

12. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Analog Assassin,
    Thanks, I've been meaning to do that and I think I'll try that first. The BSIAB II (as is) gets a great low-gain sound if I up the volume on my SRRI, but it doesn't have those upper mids going like I'd like (that's not necessarily a bad thing since it keeps the BSIAB II versatile). I'm bypassing the LPFs as well. I did a 'tricked out' version of the BSIAB II a year and a half ago with Mojotron's mods, but it changed the sound completely and I wasn't happy with it; so, I try to keep the changes to a minimum.
    I have PCBs drilled (but not populated yet) for the ROG Thunderchief and my own take on a JTM45.
    If those don't pan out, I'll keep the BSIAB II and check out the Jetter GS Purple. Great review on that this morning.

14. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Try a 560pf silver mica cap instead of the 470pf. It opens up the upper mids.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Buckears you should check out the ROG Thor. Its the new and improved version of the thunderchief. I got my kit from OLCircuits and will start building it this weekend.

Assassin, being familiar with marshall amp circuits as well as the BSIAB I have a hard time believing that the 560pf cap would sound good. I find the BSIAB to have a TON of upper midrange slice and anymore would be an ICEpick in my ears. I also can't imagine removing the LPF filters would sound good either. I know you guys dig these mods but I am usually looking for ways to decrease treble in most pedals.

The mod I am considering is changing the 470K resistor in the treble peak circuit to 220 or 270k which is found on the Tweed bassman and JTM 45 amps. It should give a nice lower mid boost while keeping the stock uppermids intact. I find the BSIAB circuit with its big lowend and healthy uppermids can sound a bit scooped at times so a low mid boost might be exactly what I'm looking for.