Jetter GS Gold: can cop GSR tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting a jones to get a Gain Stage Gold for blues/rock leads, but want to know if it can cop some of the Gain Stage Red's 'Dumble-esque' tones.
    Is the GSG the best of both worlds for blues/fusion/rock?

Thanks,
    Buck

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The standard or custom shop version, the "Gold 3-D"?

Custom Gold 3-D OD™

The Custom Shop Gold 3D is a result of revisiting the Gain Stage Gold circuit with a fresh perspective and a new design focus. I have been listening to a lot of West-Coast Fusion players lately and I am always completely mesmerized by the amazingly sweet and defined tones they achieve (especially on their live recordings.)
    Let me clearly state that those amazing tones are primarily the result of their tremendous abilities and refined touch. Gear does not make them the players that they are by any stretch of the imagination!

What I tried to do was capture some of the sonic essence--the reproducible mechanics--of what I hear them doing.
    To my ears, that includes:
    A big, well defined low-end response that stays bold and tight even when distorted.
    Chords always ring true with all notes being discernible.
    Single notes lines are smooth and velvety but have "pop" to them.

I feel that these goals are met in what is now the Gold 3D.

This version still retains all the great attributes of the orignial Gold:
    The same level of gain and the harmonically rich pick attack - think of a "crack" when the note is hit.
    Articulate compression on the bass notes
    Aggressive OD character ."

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

4. Bucksears

Yeah, I saw that. Talk about making GAS worse!
    I'm going to hit the Purple first and then see about the Gold.

Thanks,
    - Buck

5. jamison162

I was very dissapointed in the Purple, the only Jetter I've tried. I like the OCD much better.

6. jzucker

My buddy Frankie Starr has the gold and purple and makes them sing. They sound absolutely, freakin' incredible.

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The Gold is my main OD pedals these days ...
    It's the most original sounding pedal I've played ....
    I love the fact that if you turn up the drive the attack becomes more immediate ...

8. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

You could start collecting all the colors of the Jetter rainbow, but why? You'd be spending over a grand, and for half that amount you could get yourself the new Kingsley Jester overdrive pedal that is sheer, pure heavenly tube overdrive tone. I sold my GSB for my Jester, and I'd never go back. My heavily gigged Keeley modded Blues Driver sounded as good as my GSB...believe it or not (I still have it as a backup).

9. jzucker

gsb has almost nothing in common with the jester?!?... Neither does the blues driver.

10. spence

spence Member

I've been interested in the gold too, but now I'm curious about the new dual pedal. Anybody have this yet?

11. jamison162

Jack,

With all due respect, the poster said he moved to the Jester and wouldn't go back, that it was a much better od pedal (if you want to call it that). He didn't say those other two pedals were anything like the Jester, I think that is obvious. He did say the KBD-2 was similar to the GSB; whether that is the Gain Stage Blue or Black, I'm not sure. Just wanted to clarify.

12. jzucker

I guess it depends on whether he meant blue or not. If he did, the blue is nothing like any of the other jetter pedals or the KBD-2 or jester. If he meant black then nevermind. ;)

13. Bucksears

Out of curiosity, what amp/guitar were you using the Purple with? I'll be using my Ibanez Artist (with DiMarzio PAFs) through my Super Reverb RI.

Thanks,
    Buck

14. jzucker

frankie starr uses a purple and gold through fender twins and vibroverbs and sounds amazing. Don't believe everything negative you read on TGP. ;)

15. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

The Gold kicked a Zendrive off my board within the first five minutes of plugging in. Haven't tried any of the others.

16. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've never tried the gold, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the red. I owned a Zendrive for all of 5 minutes, and it just didn't do it for me. I had read that the GSR was a Zen clone, so I avoided it.

That and the fact that I don't care for Derek Jeter. Just a psychological thing, I guess.

Anyway, the GSR seems much sweeter and more natural sounding than the Zen. And it stacks wonderfully with my MI Audio BP.

17. jamison162

I'm just one person stating MY personal experience. Whether you actually consider that negative or not is up to you. I play a Heritage H-150 with WCR's and an alder Grosh RC with Fralins. Amp is a Rockerverb 50 Head and 2x12 with Scumback M75's. The Purple just didn't sound as good as the OCD v3 to me, it was not as open and realistic sounding. That said, I have also sold off the OCD. I have a Wampler Plexidrive that replaced those two.

18. jamison162

I didn't like the Zen at all either, took me 5 minutes to decide that one. I also don't care for any of the MI Audio stuff. So I'm debating about trying another Jetter..either the Red, Gold, even the Blue is appealing even with all the mixed reviews.

19. jzucker

You're comparing apples to oranges to pineapples though. The jetter ain't anything close to an OCD. Not even remotely in the same ballpark tonally or circuit-wise. At least comparing the jetter to a zen, you're talking about almost identical circuits so there's some common ground but the OCD is totally different.

That's what bothers me about some of the sweeping generalizations. Other than the fact they are both overdrives, there's little in common. Not sure how the wampler plexidrive compares but the wampler ecstasy / jetter and zen at least share a common heritage...

20. jamison162

Jack, what are you talking about? You can't admit being wrong can you, hehehe :moon.

All I stated was my personal experience with the Jetter Purple and OCD. You're saying the Purple isn't similar to the OCD???

From Jetter's website on the Purple:
    "Cranked 50 watt Plexi-style tones. Dynamic crunch and amplike feel. Crunchy rhythm to singing lead tones. Sweet midrange grind!!"

That's pretty right on with what the OCD does, IMHO. All I'm saying is that I didn't hear anything the Purple could do that the OCD didn't do better, for me and my setup. YMMV!