Jetter GS Purple review: where'd it go?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

There was a thread a few days ago about the Jetter Gain Stage Purple; someone was giving it a positive review, but then it was gone?
    Was this bogus? I like that it's a low/med gain Plexi that plays nice with BF amps.

2. js54

js54 Member

Here it is....not bogus at all. I want to get clips going, but I probably wont have a chance to get to them for a week or so....sorry for the tease. There is a video clip on the home page of jettergear.com though.

====================================================
    I just received the new Gain Stage Purple production box.

Played it through my Clark Tyger tweed (which is not always pedal friendly) with a strat and tele.

Initial Reaction:

This is Brad's best pedal to date...seriously!!...I know after a while all these reviews sound like mind-numbing spam....oh well, think what you will.

I played it along side the Gold and the Black.

The purple reminds me of a '71 50watt Marshall I once had - Its hard to describe, but the Purple has this wonderful Marshally midrange and grind.
    It has less gain, saturation and compression than the Gold, and its pretty dynamic, but at the same time has a lot of tone and crunch that fills things in and you can really dig in and get some great rhythm and lead tones at the same time.

The Gold sounds much thicker and has more saturation...a lot more gain.
    The Black is waaay open and dynamic and takes some tweaking to find the sounds...all good, but you gotta spend a little time. The Purple and Gold are both plug 'n' play. A buddy who sells the Love Pedal line played the Gold and thought that it was like a warmer Eternity...FWIW.

To address the whole Black = plexi and now the Purple = plexi.....
    here's my take...
    The Black is more like a JTM 45, and in higher gain settings a JCM 800.
    It has tons of bass and is more boost like. It can sound like a 100 watt with some mild breakup.
    Both pedals have a plexi tonal focus, but there are many different plexi "tones" out there.

The Purple is a crank and go pedal. Again, it sounds like the grind of a 50 watt in a box. It will turn your Blackface or tweed into a grinding plexi.

Overall, I'm very impressed. Each of these pedals keep getting better and better. And for those who think these are just the same pedal slightly modded...No Way!!! You line them up side-by-side and they have very distinct differences and each one has it own thing going on. The Red and Gold are similar, but the Gold does not do the Ford/Carlton thing like the Red - they are not the same pedal with different levels of gain.

there you have it.....for now

3. Bucksears

Thanks js54!
    Any idea when these are going to be released?

4. js54

js54 Member

Your welcome!

I really dont know, but I think any day now...I would email Guitar Fetish for the exact details.

Take care.

5. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Aaaargghhh.
    I've got the red and black. I love each. The Black doesnt sound as "thick" as I'd like with my Fenders. But at $239 a pop...these arent cheap. (They are small though...which really rocks!). I'm SOOOO tempted to try the purple....and the gold.......and then just pick 2 of the 4 to keep.

6. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I also have a Black and really like it. I'm anxious to here how it compares with the Purple.

7. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Just got the Purple and love it. I have the Red also . Both a very good pedals. The Purple is more open sounding. About the same amount of gain. Each pedal has positive attributes. If I could only have one it would be the Purple.

8. Bucksears

Yeah, somebody just posted the first review of it at HC. I'm stoked because the reviewer runs it through a SRRI, like me. Said it turned it into a Plexi.

9. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was supposed to have more gain then the Red. The black has more gain than the Red.