Jetter GSR Demo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I could not get the videos to work.

:NUTS

2. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

Excellent production, good sound...more demos should be edited, shot, mixed, presented this way IMO.

nice work Jack!

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I had to use the You tube site. I'd have liked to have heard it from your web site. The Ethos demo sounded great. I love my GSR. How do you compare the two and which do you prefer?

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

They're different. Funny how folks were saying that the GSR is a dumble pedal. Sounds nothing like a dumble to me. It's got more marshall in it and reminds me more of Eric Johnson's 335 tone than a dumble. The Ethos has more of the dumble mid hump in it. I really like the ethos with my 335. I just got the GSR and have only played it with the Les Paul. I'll do some more stuff with it over the next few weeks. It's nice to have both actually. The jetter just kills going into the Ethos clean channel!

5. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

6. jzucker

Try refreshing your browser. Other folks have seen it from the youtube link.

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Nice Jack ... I love the way you're playing this particular pedal ...
    Real snappy & smoking like ....

Okay here's my two cents ...
    This seems to a much more alive sounding pedal then the Etho's clips were (IMO)
    (or it seems to have more attitude ...)

I highly recommend putting a compressor in front of this or the Ethos ..
    It will slightly round off the top end & add some bloom to the notes ...

Do you ever use a compressor Jack (I'm a compressor kinda guy, that's why I ask..?
    I can really hear the difference they can make on pedals as well as clean tones ...)

8. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

Many thanks Jack, great job!

9. jzucker

I have tried compressors in the past but never found one I really bonded with. I like the way they sound with jazz guitar for that smooth jazz stuff too but every time I've gotten one I end up selling it. I kind of like the dynamic range of this pedal. It really screams like a R&R amp on 10.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Really does scream ... really super alive & present ...
    You sound great with everything you play Jack, but it seems like your just singing with this pedal ...
    Excellent !!

Which Fralin's do you have in there... they sound single coil-ish ... very nice sounding //
    Would luv to hear you playing with this pedal using the middle position (both pickups)

11. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Jack,

That sounds REALLY nice.

I'd be curious to hear the clean amp tone before the pedal, to see how clear it really is.

I dug the Ethos, but you sound a LOT better with the GSR. Got me thinking......

Thanks,

Jim

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Tremendous chops and technique. Of the two, my personal preference was the GSR over the Ethos in your demos although both were excellent.I just seemed to gravitate a little more towards the tone and the bite
    of the GSR as the Ethos sounded maybe a bit more pedal-ly and the GSR sounded more like an amp that has been cranked to just the right spot.

13. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Try using your bridge pickup with your GSR. I have found the GSR and the Zendrive sounds more Dumble like when you play em thru your bridge pickup. it adds to the chewy d sound cause i think these pedals naturally add allot of inherent mid range. When you add this to the trebley bridge P/u, add adds some magic to getting the D sound.

14. jzucker

I wouldn't necessarily take it that way. I used a totally different micing and recording strategy on the GSR demo and with the Les Paul I wasn't playing as laid back. I'm going to do another ethos demo with the new method.

15. jzucker

that was the bridge pickup!

16. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Well, I got nothing to add here, but dang! Smoking stuff/ licks. Thank you for inspiration, Jack.

17. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

One thing I noticed was that the Ethos didnt have the attack that the GSR did. However, I kind of dug that at the same time. I think its hard to get a real good level of the difference because the recording setup seemed to be different. Was it?

By the way, these are great and invaluable things that you do Jack for everyone. The production of these is awesome. Thank you!! Its very enjoyable to watch good players playing these pedals.

18. jzucker

Yeah, it was very different. I'm going to re-record the ethos demo with the same setup. The ethos used a different set of speakers, different mic'ing, lower volume levels and was not individually tracked. It was mixed live. The new way I'm recording is that everything is on it's own track(s) and I use headphones while recording instead of recording the ambient sound of the backing track which I was doing originally.

Additionally, the ethos was done with a 339 and classic 57 pickups which are softer and more vintagey than the Fralin Unbuckers in the Les Paul which are more R&R and more sizzly.

I picked the 339 for the ethos since it was a more dumbly pedal and the LP for the GSR since it's more R&R but I'll probably use the LP for my next ethos demo.
    Thanks. I keep getting better with the video editing and production. Hopefully I'll get quicker with it as well.