Jetter Jet Drive & Red Square vs. Gold Standard

petty1818

I currently own the Jetter Jet Drive, Red Square and GS124, so it's safe to say that I am a fan of Brad's work. I am just wondering how the Gold Standard compares to the Jet Drive and Red Square? The Jet Drive for me was the first overdrive that just sounded right. I can get a nice Voxy/chime on one channel and then switch to the other for a bit more midrange. Stacked together, the Jet Drive sounds great. I did however lose a bit of love for it recently as it seems to have a mid range that I can't dial out, but I still really like it.

The Red square is great as well but I have a love/hate relationship with it. The Helium side is nice and transparent but it always seem to lack clarity. It's hard to explain but it just sounds a bit muddy. I can get it close to the Jet Drive but it's not exactly the same. The Red side has a very nice tone but it can be a bit too smooth. Through some amps it really shines but if the amp is a bit dark, it gets lost in the mix. However, when I switch to the "shift" setting, I find the tone to be a bit too aggressive. I don't know if it's the volume bump or not bit it's just a bit too much.

I find that the Gold Standard pops up the most of professional boards out of all of the Jetter pedals so I curious about how it differs?

TheGuildedAge

The gold standard is very liquid sounding, for lack of a better word. Helium side is similar to the red square, but the overdrive is different.

I though the red Square did a nice, medium gain dumble type tone as well as a clearer, "Marshally" drive. Less compressed than the Gold.

Gold has more gain, more saturation, though I didn't notice a huge difference flipping the switch like I did with the red.

I don't have a red square here so I am going off memory, but I think the Gold has a bit more gain. The red can do the gritty marshall or dumble thing, and the gold is better at the searing, more high gain stuff.

Last edited:

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
My take is a little different...

The Gold standard is the most versatile of the three to my ears. The Helium side is tuned a little differently and to me sounds better. The gold side is more aggressive and has more bite than the red. I heard a significant difference flipping the switch, with the "shift" setting sounding smoother and lower gain like the red, and the "gold" setting having a fair bit more gain and bite (very much the Eric Johnson tone, and for my ears a great Marshall tone). The Red2 sounds a little prettier in a quiet setting, but I found the Gold Standard to work noticeably better in a live mix.

I've had two Jetdrives, kind of three - a V1 that Brad converted to a V2, and later a V3. Both were great, but I didn't find them as versatile as the Gold Standard, but
Effect if you want to stack low gainers. In know what you mean about the mids - noticed it more in the V3.

I haven't had one of Brad's pedals around the house for awhile now, but have a Johnny A coming in the mail this week :)

SkateDawg

Silver Supporting Member
I also am a fan. I have been using the Red Square for several years with a GS Gold and GS Blue next to it. I just like a bit of OD generally, so the Helium side is great, and then the Red kicks in for leads or higher gain stuff. The Gold is really there for leads over clean sounds. It is higher gain than the others. The Blue and Red together are really something, at least for practicing. I had the Gold Standard and the Helium side did not quite get it for me.

I just added a 248 - which I got a great deal on. Thought it could replace the Gold. I also got a Dharma drive, which I thought could replace my clean boost and give me another option - Purple. So I will now have 3 double Jetters and the GS Blue. Seems silly, but it is fun to switch stuff around.

All that said, after emailing Brad Jetter about the Dharma, I am starting to think that the Jet Drive is really the one I want. So...... From what he said, I could imagine that the Jet Drive could replace the Red Square, but as of yet, nothing else has been able to.

I once saw a picture here on one of the "Show Your Pedal Board" threads where a guy had every Jetter pedal available at the time on hos board. This was probably before they stopped the "colors" and went on to "numbers".

It does not seem that you can go wrong with any of them. I sometimes think I should try some of the newer options out there, and suppose I will at some point, but I seem to always come back to the Jetter stuff.

ChicagoJoe

Big fan of the Gold Standard here. About four years ago, I took to these forums trying to decide between the GS and the Red2, being that I wouldn't have a chance to play them anywhere first. Glad I picked the GS. So I can't speak by personal experience for the Red2.

So there's basically three "pedals" in the Gold Standard. The Helium is apparently a slightly tweaked version, it might be a bit different from the Helium in the Red2. I think I've read that in multiple places. But it is a sensational low gainer, and stacks with the other side incredibly well.

On the other side, the "shift" setting is basically Eric Johnson's classic lead tone, the Tube Driver into a cranked Marshall. Much more like Cliffs of Dover than it is, say, Desert Rose, which is a fuzz. I just max the gain and keep the tone near noon on the shift setting. I love it, but it is warm and woody, working very well with a Strat/Fender amp set up.

The "gold" setting is harder for me to explain, just a bit less gain, a hair brighter, but I use it in a lot of different ways. The "shift" I use for just one thing, an EJ type lead. "Gold" can be a nice crunch rhythm, lower gain blues lead, etc. I actually use it in a modern church worship setting with the gain only half way up with a Les Paul, and that's my lead tone. I've heard someone describe the Gold setting as old gain stage gold... and the gain stage gold described as the higher gain, more aggressive version of the gain state red (a dumble-y tone). I couldn't say one way or the other, but the gold can do a lot.

Needless to say, given my playing style and the variety of settings I play in, the Gold Standard is always on my board. I hope my take helps you out.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is that the Helium in the dual pedals is tuned to the discreet paired drive and thus different dual drive to dual drive. It is also different than the stand-alone version.

I love my stand-alone Helium. It's one of my favorite drives. I also really like my Jet Drive v3.

Snottyboy

I've been through several Jetters including GSR, GSG (not Standard), Red2, Blue, Gold 45/100, Jetdrive v.2, and a couple others. All of them had certain appeal and are of considerable quality, imo. Jetdrive v.2 remains as the keeper for me. Green channel provides the clearest response of any available. It can be used as a very low-gainer to medium gain. Blue channel is similar to GSR, with a sweet midrange, albeit slightly different. Excellent medium gainer. Stacked combinations are pretty versatile, just place emphasis on which side you prefer. Good for liquid leads. All others, while appealing in some ways, had drawbacks that I couldn't accept. Really was expecting the Red2 to be the one for me as I love the GSR, but the Helium side was surprisingly muddy. I expected it to be more of what the Jetdrive's green channel is.

OP, if you are looking at the Gold as a liquid med/high gainer, I recently picked up a Barber Small Fry (again, after 8 years or so) and am amazed at the possibilities. Singing with extreme definition throughout and enough tweakability to match pretty much any setup. Worth a look.

FWIW, I'm typically several different guitars into cleanish Fender or Boogie.

petty1818

Thanks everyone! I might give the Gold Standard a try.

Snottyboy, I agree, most of the Jetter pedals I have tried seem to have some drawbacks. The Red side of the red square is pretty great but as you mentioned, the helium side was just muddy. The GS124 sounds awesome on a single coil bridge pickup but it's not the most versatile drive. It's also the noisiest Jetter pedal I own. I want to compare the Jet Drive and Gold Standard and see which one matches my style more.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Just to add...

I've had the Johnny A in the house a couple of days now, and I think it's going to meet my needs nicely. The GS124 side for me is stellar for slide (Lindley, Ben Harper kind of tones), and a nice alternative for a tele bridge pickup. I've found a couple of tones I like with the neck pickup - think "Soulshine". I like it with the gain around 10-11:00 and a touch above unity volume, tone around 2:00 - fattens what come before it or what comes after it. There's lot's of gain on the Traindrive side as well, but I'm also liking it set around 10-11:00 so it cleans up nicely with the guitar volume pot. I have my Hybrid Screw Driver in front of the Johnny A. and everything sings together - The HFD takes the 124 to a chirpier, higher gain place in a really good way, and the Traindrive just gives it "more" - very Marshall sounding, and again, stellar cleanup from the guitar controls. Of course the Traindrive and 124 stack perfectly, giving a brighter, higher gain 124 tone.

I really won't know how this setup is going to work ultimately until I gig with it, but if the experiments at home are any indication, should be pretty damned good. This is all with Teles through a 40 watt Allen Encore, loaded with Fane alnicos.

Petty 1818 - hope the Gold Standard works well for you. It's very versatile and was my go-to for a few years. The Helium side never sounded remotely muddy to me, but I was always using it in pretty low gain mode, so maybe that had something to do with it. It's a great pedal.

TheGuildedAge

I did want to add I much preferred the Jetters at gig volume. In the basement, I found all of them inarticulate and muddy even.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Noticed something interesting at practice last night. I hauled my Allen Sweet Spot (18 watts, Celestial Gold) to the studio, and found that I really prefer the sound of the Johnny A through my 40 watt amp with two 100 what Fane Alnicos. The pedal just has more depth and amp-like character with the higher headroom platform. Always about the rig, aint it.

Interesting. I found the Helium within the Red Square to be very articulate and chimey, even with humbuckers. It's been my #1 drive for years along with the GS Gold. If you want something like the Jetters but with a bit more tweakability, maybe check out the Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold.

Trending Topics