JG, PBG, et al. A positive position...

mykljpao

After all the vitriol regarding PBG, I would like to interject some positive experiences. SO, if you have an issue with PBG THE COMPANY OR BUSINESS MODEL, please refrain from posting as it has been rehashed ad nauseum.

I have owned a PBG Bluesmaster Special for a while and want to express that it is an OUTSTANDING instrument. Impeccable build, plays effortlessly and sounds extraordinary. I also own 2 BM 59s, a Futuremaster and a Dotmaster obviously handmade by Johan which for my personal needs and taste are the most astonishing guitars I've ever been fortunate to play and own. There are also two original Bakers in the collection. For a mahogany slab guitar at its price point, I don't think you could buy a better guitar than the PBG Special. That being said, I also feel that Johan's work is unsurpassed and worth every penny. Each instrument has its own voice through its unique combination of wood and pickups. I always research before making a purchase and knew exactly what I was getting with each transaction. I can honestly state that I got far more than I expected with the arrival of each of these instruments.

Having owned my Bakers for years, I already knew that Gene and his chosen crew could build amazing guitars and my experience s that they continue to do so.

I invite anyone who has also had a positive experience to post here as well based on the merits of the instruments themselves.

snarkle

Silver Supporting Member
Ssssh!

I'm hoping all the vitriol drives JG/PBG prices down so I can pick up the next Bluesmaster Special that turns up on the used market...

I have heard nothing but high praise from those who have actually played these guitars.

Gilky

Platinum Supporting Member
What an excellent post from someone qualified to speak about them both. And might I add, holy crap, nice collection.

detroiter711

I have two PBG guitars, a Fano Psonicsphear and a Giffin Vikta. They are both excellent guitars. PBG is making some seriously good guitars at reasonable prices with no wait time.

Good buy with the Vitka! I missed the boat when these were being blown out for $999. How do you like it?

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Congrats on having acquired a guitar that makes you very happy. One question, the price differential is huge, is the quality comparable? If so it sounds like an amazing buy!

narad

Congrats on having acquired a guitar that makes you very happy. One question, the price differential is huge, is the quality comparable? If so it sounds like an amazing buy!

It's hard to have a meaningful comparison based on the price differential on the JGs, since the specials are so different in design than anything Johan's putting out. At best you could compare with the future master, though there's still plenty that differs. It's a bit apples and oranges, vs. say, the Kolls, which had glides that were made by Saul, then essentially the same glides made by PBG.

Quinny

P90 or Humbuckers? Pics? :) The P90 Special looks like a fantastic guitar to me....can't beat good P90s and a nice slab of the right wood.

tedwoods

I have my PBG guitars (two Kolls and two Fanos) for more than a year now and I can honestly say they are all truly special guitars.
In fact, I've NEVER been so happy with buying guitars off the rack as with these.
I also have a Koll made Superior and a Fano made PX-6 and although the models are different from my PBG made ones, the quality is most certainly directly comparable.
What I must also point out is that there is absolutely no homogenized feel with the PBG guitars, something I have found in other guitars (PRS for example), despite all being made in the same factory by the same craftsmen.
My Kolls feel like Kolls and my Fanos like Fanos and also both my Kolls and Fanos are distinct from each other.
I truly cannot understand the "debate" going on. I knew exactly what I was buying when I did and I can't comprehend how someone can be confused about it.
Anyway, I am more than happy with my PBG guitars and would not hesitate to buy again from them for the added reason that they bring out many interesting stuff each year and do not just "rest on their laurels", so to speak.

DamianL

Well, I have played only one JG Bluesmaster and one PBG Special (humbuckers).

And, hand on heart, if you asked me which one I wanted to go and gig with tonight? It would be the special. Just preferred the sound/feel.

Which means not too much, other than that both are great guitars.

mykljpao

Thanks to all for maintaining the spirit of this thread!

Narad, I couldn't agree more. Each instrument brings its own voice to he table. I choose one based on what I need sonically for the night and, frankly what mood I'm in as to which feel I want. Each neck is different although they all handle and play brilliantly. The handmade JGs feel like extraordinary vintage instruments in hand where the Special feels like an amazing new guitar, if that makes any sense to you. I've had many positive comments on all of them whenever I've take them out. Because they suit ME so well, I honestly feel that each was a respective bargain.

Keep em coming.
Best to all

Quinny, here's the rundown; one Bm59 has Wolftone HBs, one has Charlie Christians wound by Dom Ramos, the FM has throbacks as does the Dot and the Special has p90s by Lollar. Sorry, no pics as I'm on a diving vacation in Cayman and don't have access to all my gear pics to post. I will when I get back. ; (

mj07

Gold Supporting Member
In fact, I've NEVER been so happy with buying guitars off the rack as with these.

I feel the same about my BM Junior. Really a quality guitar that is straight up fun to play. I didn't even plug it in before I decided to buy it. I'd also like to point out that I almost always buy used, and was just not going to make myself wait and see if any of these hit the used market. I also was fortunate enough to play it against many other PBG guitars thanks to a great dealer in my hometown. :JAM

detroiter711

Gene Baker has something special going on with PBG. As a native Michigander I am proud that both he and his Sales Manager Jimmy hail from Detroit!

meangene

Huge thank you guys, one of these days I look forward to retiring on Lake Huron as a "Up'er" that's Northern MI lingo there my brethren, do a lot of fishing, lot of guitar playing, build a few guitars to supplement a retired income, raise some big dogs and love my wife. That could be 8 years away, and 8 years goes by really fast.....

Scary thought that retirement could be so close...... Looking forward to enjoying more of life outside of work one day.

Thanks again one and all.

Gene-o

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Good thread.... I've not really understood the degree of 'negativity' by some on previous threads concerning the PGB JG Special and Junior Bluesmaster runs, (apart from a degree of 'misrepresentation' of what they are by some dealers)... After all and from what I've read over the months here since their conception, the PGB Bluesmasters are class instruments worthy of the JG name by which they are both called and dedicated?

IMO, what better way is there for a budding and (probably young) JG appreciator, (perhaps without the financial 'wherewithal' until they are older) to get a USA built class instrument worthy and approved by the JG name?

While I'm nigh-on in my 60's and thankfully both can/do own JG Bluesmasters built by the man himself, that wouldn't have been the situation when I was younger and whereby I would have the jumped on the opportunity to get something built by the PGB luthiers pending perhaps a hand-built JG by Johan at a later stage.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Huge thank you guys, one of these days I look forward to retiring on Lake Huron as a "Up'er" that's Northern MI lingo there my brethren, do a lot of fishing, lot of guitar playing, build a few guitars to supplement a retired income, raise some big dogs and love my wife. That could be 8 years away, and 8 years goes by really fast.....

Scary thought that retirement could be so close...... Looking forward to enjoying more of life outside of work one day.

Thanks again one and all.

Gene-o

Well,
I still have a B3 wood on my GAS list, so dont head to Michigan just yet!

:D

S.
j

Arc Angel

VigilAndy

Gold Supporting Member
I just now put it down after two hours of playing. It's a very cool guitar. Excellent quality, excellent tone, excellent playability. I believe I got the last one blown out at $999. I was looking at them on all the different dealer webpages I could find one night and they were disappearing as I was going back and forth trying to pick the best color. After I bought mine I checked the other sites and all of them were gone.

Thanks to TGP, I heard about the Vikta price reduction at the end of 2012. Although I had a couple of orders on the way and wasn't looking for another guitar, that deal was too good to pass up. The craftsmanship is top notch in every aspect and it plays and sounds great. An absolutely outstanding guitar, and worthy of the pre-mark down price. My Vikta is the only PBG guitar I’ve played, but my experience says that Gene and the folks at Arroyo Grande are premier builders making premier guitars. I really hope PBG and Roger can collaborate again.

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
Gene,

Need to get one of yours before you head off into the sunset in a few years. Until then, keep up the good, no great work!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom