• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

JHS 3 Series: Cool tones / Better Value

SubApathy

Silver Supporting Member
That aside, they look great. I'm sure I'll pick one up, but I've redone my 3 pedalboards and already bought these new since covid:

Double Barrel +Red Remote
Angry Charlie
Milkman
Morning Glory +Red Remote
Sweet Tea +Red Remote
Crimson
Bonsai
Sweet Tea +Red Remote?
Is there something that I don't know about the Sweet Tea?

Edoardo_P

I agree. I've never bought a pedal from the guy, but I enjoy his videos. His knowledge about and enthusiasm for guitar pedals in general (and not just his own) is winning. I have never seen a manufacturer spend so much time and give so much effort to talking about other people's stuff. I have never heard him say a bad word about a competitor and he seems to go out of his way to be generous and gracious to his fellow builders. I really have no idea why some people here are so hostile regarding the guy and his company. He's doing what so many others do, but he's more upfront about it.
Well, Josh is a content marketing genius. And I am not using this word lightly. He knows what people wanna see. He knows no one comes to your youtube channel to hear your sales pitch. He has brought the concept of educational content marketing up to a whole new level. I think it deserves to be a university case study. If I were a student, I'd write my thesis on JHS pedals and their youtube channel.
I mean, complete straightforwardness. We all know I'm not the only guy in town, let's not pretend and make the best of it.

I've never seen anything like that. In the big picture, he ends up being perceived as more trustworthy and reliable than any of the youtube shills which do not sell pedals but, weirdly enough, end up sounding so unnatural and forced while not promoting said pedals. As in "Maaan, I had no idea how to use a compressor till Strymon mailed me this thing, no strings attached, which I feel like demoing in conjunction with other 3 Strymon pedals no strings attached you're not here for.".

And do you know who we trust more than Josh? His employees, and the smiles on their faces.
(I'm mostly talking about the Jaguar lady. She is so F-ing happy! And it's contagious! That's a keeper.)

By the way Josh, whose is that Jaguar? Hers or yours? Cause I couldn't help but notice you are using the very same Jaguar it in the follow up video. Did you steal a guitar from an employee? Bad. :p

Last edited:

Fatherflot

Well, Josh is a content marketing genius. And I am not using this word lightly. He knows what people wanna see. He knows no one comes to your youtube channel to hear your sales pitch. He has brought the concept of educational content marketing up to a whole new level. I think it deserves to be a university case study. If I were a student, I'd write my thesis on JHS pedals and their youtube channel.
I mean, complete straightforwardness. We all know I'm not the only guy in town, let's not pretend and make the best of it.

I've never seen anything like that. In the big picture, he ends up being perceived as more trustworthy and reliable than any of the youtube shills which do not sell pedals but, weirdly enough, end up sounding so unnatural and forced while not promoting said pedals. As in "Maaan, I had no idea how to use a compressor till Strymon mailed me this thing, no strings attached, which I feel like demoing in conjunction with other 3 Strymon pedals no strings attached you're not here for.".

And do you know who we trust more than Josh? His employees, and the smiles on their faces.
(I'm mostly talking about the Jaguar lady. She is so F-ing happy! And it's contagious! That's a keeper.)

By the way Josh, whose is that Jaguar? Hers or yours? Cause I couldn't help but notice you are using the very same Jaguar it in the follow up video. Did you steal a guitar from an employee? Bad. :p
I feel you might be a wee bit over-invested in this issue.

Last edited:

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Against my better judgment...

Why are people piling on @hallissyc as if he is the “hater” here? I get that we are only allowed to say positive things in order to keep threads productive. I have learned to keep such discussions for the pub, and I’m fine with that.

When stuff bubbles up in the context of threads like this, I would love to see a collective, tactful “Hey, we understand there are some differing, strong opinions but we have decided to move on in this venue. Take up the debate in the pub or elsewhere, and let’s keep this thread focused on this new release.” This as opposed to feigned (or perhaps in some cases real) ignorance as to where the bubble came from. (Is the irony of this lower price release truly lost on you?) Calling out a contrary opinion as “nonsense” or “hate” simply escalates and unnecessarily personalizes the conversation.

As for this thread, I have to admit the pedal line at hand is refreshing on the face of it, with the promotion of domestic jobs and a friendly price-point. I also freely admit I am predisposed to avoid their gear, but have softened over the years, choosing to accept their more recent conduct as genuine. I’ll say I think the “whitewash” finish is absolutely on point ;)

Kennyscrown

A quality fuzz with a bias control. For £99. The other pedals I can see competing with that in the UK are the Magnetic Effects White Atom/Solar Bender.

Also, sorry but have't read all 21 pages - what is the overdrive based on? If it is a Blues Breaker, might be very interested.

jhspedals.com

@jhspedals.com I'm a little disappointed here. Such awesome, inexpensive pedals... AND NO FLANGER. I'm only slightly kidding. I grew up using a purple Ross flanger with the AC plug (stolen from a gig, grrr) for post-punky weirdness and have not found a single reasonably sized/priced alternative. Surely the JHS crew would make this happen in a budget line, right?!?!? *Serious. Foot. Tapping.*

That aside, they look great. I'm sure I'll pick one up, but I've redone my 3 pedalboards and already bought these new since covid:

Double Barrel +Red Remote
Angry Charlie
Milkman
Morning Glory +Red Remote
Sweet Tea +Red Remote
Crimson
Bonsai

I also picked up an Emporer used (because 60 bucks) and an Alpine reverb since you won't send Sweetwater the Spring Tank I ordered, fkrs. The Alpine is cool, btw, I'm just looking forward to the ST. I really appreciate your company, all of your kindness, and the creative, fun pedals that you put out. Keep it coming, and by "it," I mean, make me a white enclosure Flanger!

-Mark
We will definately be adding to the line!

SubApathy

Silver Supporting Member
I would love to know what circuit questions you all want answered on this Wed live episode. My goal is to answer questions about circuit origins, methods and topologies, ask away!
I will give a TGP shout out :)

View attachment 290477
Today is the day!
I hope my Compressor question makes it.
@jhspedals.com
3 Series Compressor
With the Whitey Tighty and Pulp N' Peel models already in production, was the 3 Series Compressor modeled after either of these? How did it come to be?

tooter007

Had the opportunity to try 5 of these locally yesterday, they had everything except compressor and distortion which had sold already. All were very good solid pedals, nothing that was mind-blowing, but just good solid utilitarian stuff which is the whole idea obviously. Favorite of the bunch was the reverb, then delay. Had they found a way to incorporate tap-tempo with that I would have bought it, but alas, I need the tap. Might still go back for the reverb though for a second listen. Overdrive was solid and Fuzz was Fuzz, not my thing, but never is. One thing I found with all of them was you need a quality power supply as very susceptible to noise. Tried first with a shop supplied Planet Waves supply, major hiss. Switched over to a One-Spot then 95% was gone. I'm sure with a Voodoo or other quality supply it would be noiseless.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I agree. I've never bought a pedal from the guy, but I enjoy his videos. His knowledge about and enthusiasm for guitar pedals in general (and not just his own) is winning. I have never seen a manufacturer spend so much time and give so much effort to talking about other people's stuff. I have never heard him say a bad word about a competitor and he seems to go out of his way to be generous and gracious to his fellow builders. I really have no idea why some people here are so hostile regarding the guy and his company. He's doing what so many others do, but he's more upfront about it.
I'd have to say that Josh has had a change of heart.

When he first started building, all his stuff was straight up clones, often of "boutique" pedals that were still in production (you can read about this over at Stomboxes.org in some detail). When he was called on it, things got ugly for a bit, including accusing other builders of copying his circuits.

BUT... and this is really important... unlike many other builders who've been caught doing unethical things he has changed. Talk to the man! He's kind, calm, willing to acknowledge some miss-steps. And he employs some kick-butt engineers building effects that are both mainstay (like the 3 Series) and kind of out there (like the Colour Box). I have absolutely changed my opinion of the man and the brand and proudly own a number of JHS pedals.

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
If I miss the live steam will I be able to watch it later? My Buddy wants a few of us to meet for a beer an hour before it starts.

addisonnyle

Had the opportunity to try 5 of these locally yesterday, they had everything except compressor and distortion which had sold already. All were very good solid pedals, nothing that was mind-blowing, but just good solid utilitarian stuff which is the whole idea obviously. Favorite of the bunch was the reverb, then delay. Had they found a way to incorporate tap-tempo with that I would have bought it, but alas, I need the tap. Might still go back for the reverb though for a second listen. Overdrive was solid and Fuzz was Fuzz, not my thing, but never is. One thing I found with all of them was you need a quality power supply as very susceptible to noise. Tried first with a shop supplied Planet Waves supply, major hiss. Switched over to a One-Spot then 95% was gone. I'm sure with a Voodoo or other quality supply it would be noiseless.
Yessir, they're about as quiet as they come with a good power supply!

Trending Topics