JHs Alpine Rverb. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eclipseall, Apr 9, 2015.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

It seems very subtle from the demos. Is it woth it considering that its not cheap?

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

IDK but I just picked up a Sky Pedals Cloud 9 reverb and its realllllly good. Can do subtle all the way to huge room/plate type sounds. Its not the most spacey reverb unit but it can definitely do more than subtle.

(The Alpine is based on the Cloud 9)

FYI There are a few Cloud 9's for sale for about $70 less than the Alpine.

3. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

It's one of the better subtle, always-on reverbs I've played. But for my setup, it was to subtle, as I find the spring reverb in my Princeton amp to be great for always-on. But if my amp didn't have reverb, I would have kept the Alpine.

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I think you can get a more versatile pedal for a cheaper price.

5. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

i went with the walrus audio audio descent. thats one sick pedal

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Princeton w reverb set at about 2-2.5 always on is sooooo money. The more amps I play the more I realize how amazing that amp and it's reverb are.

meowmers likes this.
  7. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

it can be subtle or not subtle at all

8. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

I'm a huge fan of reverb, but this is the one reverb that hasn't tripped my trigger. Not spring-y, but not smooth...it's a very unique sounding reverb and I'm sure some people love it. It's just not for me. Seems fairly overpriced as well. If you want subtle reverb, I would recommend the TC HoF- it's cheap and very versatile.

9. vbrans

vbrans Member

Bought it and sold it immediately. Maybe mine was defective? I could not get more than a 2-3 second tail which makes the fx loop useless. No oscillation either. Bummer. I was looking forward to trying different things in the loop but it doesn't ring out long enough to make a good shimmer or to modulate the tail. Big disappointment.

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I'm a reverb nut, but I've never felt even a little tempted by this one. Just my $.02.

Mallory8017 likes this.
  11. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

12. charley

charley Supporting Member

I didn't love the Alpine. I ended up with a Catalinbread Topanga on my small board, and a BigSky on my big board.

13. meowmers

meowmers Member

A TC HoF fits all my needs, and that's because i'm not too picky about reverb, just need a good space and tone control.

Of course when I have a Twin or Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton i'll be sure to use those.

14. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

Bought it. Hated it. Returned it.

Mine had a strange defect, too. If the pedal settings were maxxed out, the reverb would still be faintly audible when the pedal was bypassed. Since my amp had amazing reverb already, I was looking at pedals for more extreme effects. Ad others have said, this is not that type of pedal.

15. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I couldn't agree more. The Princeton is light, plays well with pedals, has great reverb and tremolo, and has nice breakup tone, too.

PurpleJesus likes this.