JHS "Can you hear it?" video. How did you do?

How may did you get right?

Results are only viewable after voting.

monty

Controversy and quips about YT compression aside, this is just for fun.
For those who watched, how many did you get right? Results will not be public, lol.
I got 2 out of 3, the Rat and the Klon. I'm cool with that, I was never a TS nut and prefer takes on that pedal over the OG anyway.

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
I was wrong about the Tube Screamer, the Rat was a guess that I surprisingly got right (I have little to no experience with a Rat) and I got the Klon right.

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
I could identify the Rat because the cheap pedal has pots of the wrong taper, and I could hear it make a difference as they were rotated.

As they said in the video, it was just for entertainment and not a scientific test. Nothing wrong with that.

regards, Jack

Beyer260

Comparing the sound of a $7k pedal with a $35 clone misses the point entirely.

You can go to Target and get a desk for $100. Or, you can go to an antique store and buy an oak desk from the 19th century for $100,000. You can plunk your laptop on top of either one, but the antique one comes with bragging rights. Mainly, that you're so rich you can buy a $100,000 desk.

dronerstone

TS: I only had a very slight feeling, but I was right!
Rat: Got that one wrong!
Klon: Probably the easist of the bunch, although it's just a tiny difference in the mids voicing.

Beyer260

Fun video, but not much more than that. I found it really distracting that Josh kept twiddling knobs so I never knew what I was really hearing. Loved the white gloves, though.

I got two, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

1. (TS9): This was easy, the clone sounded thinner and 2-dimensional compared to the fancy one.

2. (Rat): This is where it gets interesting. A was all midrange, B sounded much fuller on the bottom. I actually thought B sounded better, but A sounded like my '82 Rat. So I knew which one was the expensive one, but thought the clone sounded better.

3. (Klon): I got this one wrong, which is understandable since I've never played a Klon. This was the opposite of the Rat comparison, I thought one was fuller sounding than the other, and in this case it was the original. So I thought the original Klon sounded better than the Klone, but definitely not $6,970 better.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Got two of the three right - under this circumstance and playing. I don't know what to think - the Clones were close enough that I don't think
it matters much on which one is picked - you can get close enough and in band that one couldn't tell.

petty1818

That Rat sounded terrible. I was shocked by how harsh it sounded and it threw me off. The cheaper one was too bass heavy so that kind of gave it away but still, the original wasn’t good.

The klon one I had no idea about as they sounded identical.

meyersforever

Platinum Supporting Member
I got them all wrong, I was listening on an iphone, but whatever.

Very fun concept, I hope they make more. I still remember boss overdrives/distortions/anything being derided at every turn here back in 2005. Now That Pedal Show is having boss overdrive specials on how people have been doing it wrong with these for a decade.

I am personally enjoying the new consciousness around here that more isn’t always more.

That being said, I have a lot of boutique gear and still love/enjoy it for what it is.

Aahzz

I got the TS and the Rat right. On my laptop speakers, the Klon and Klone sounded nearly identical, I couldn't guess.

Gibsonchild

Gumpy Old Man
I got 1 and 2 right. The congested mids on the real TS gave it away, as well as the bottom end on the Rat clone (which I just ordered because of this vid).

I couldn't tell any difference on the Klon. I own the Mosky pedal, and they both sounded pretty much identical to me.

Liarparadox

Very fun concept, I hope they make more. I still remember boss overdrives/distortions/anything being derided at every turn here back in 2005. Now That Pedal Show is having boss overdrive specials on how people have been doing it wrong with these for a decade.

I am personally enjoying the new consciousness around here that more isn’t always more.

That being said, I have a lot of boutique gear and still love/enjoy it for what it is.

Yeah I completely agree. I think hobbyists sometimes really fall into the confirmation bias. But I also really love having boutique gear. I find it very inspiring and useful. Vids like this (and I've seen this sorta thing in person as well) with cork sniffers is pretty humbling and entertaining.

Not throwing shade, most of my pedals are boutique. There are lots of reasons to prefer one over the other; but these vids are very useful to people looking for pedals and can have it demonstrated that they may not need to spend as much money to get 99+% of the sound of a much more expensive pedal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom