JHS Colour Box vs Morning Glory: Comparable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Transmisser, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Looking at both of these pedals and was curious if anyone here has compared the two. The Colour Box obviously has more control, but can you get in the morning glory ballpark with it?

2. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

what sound are you going for? they are very different pedals with very different 'purposes'

3. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Completely different animals...the Colour Box is basically a Mic Pre in pedal form...the MG is more in the Blues Breaker/KOT camp...

The CB is the only pedal I know of that does what it does...

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

no, 1 is a clone of a famous distortion pedal and 1 is a neve recording console,:rotflmao.

5. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

:huh

Ah, ok then.

6. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Nothing here is actually true.

7. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Mainly a transparent OD sound. Had a Tim and Timmy and I thought they were great. Just want something different.

I do hear how the colour box gets different from a tonal perspective compared to the MG. was just curious if the CB could get some where near the kind of sound the MG has since it has a fairly versatile EQ section.

8. dhdfoster

I had an MG for quite some time and I thought it was fantastic at doing what it's intended to do. A clear, transparent overdrive that sort of melds with your amp. I really didn't like the Tim or KOT as much.

The MG and KOT are both loosely based on the Bluesbreaker circuit, but they are quite different form it and each other in sound. Unlike most TS based pedals, the MG doesn’t have the squishy loss of dynamics when you pick. Some folks really like that squishy thing, but I don’t. The MG retains the attack, but it’s not “hard” or unmusical. IMO.

9. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Tough situation for me to be in - I can score either pedal in new condition for cheaper than used online here.

Decisions. CAN'T DO BOTH!!!:p

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

i take it youre in the camp of if you change the color of the knobs its not just a clone, its an original creation. thats fine, must be wonderful time for you- all these millions of unique pedals available to you to chose from.

11. dhdfoster

Not at all. A clone is a clone. A pedal that's based around the Bluesbreker circuit with quite a few changes is not a "clone". The MG is not a "clone" and the KOT is not a "clone". The Colour Box is NOT a Neve console channel. It might loosely based around the circuit, but it's more clever marketing than anything else.