JHS Colour Box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neosoulchild, May 4, 2015.

1. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these? It seems really cool and versatile. I've a few questions for anyone with any experience with it.
    1. Can I use it as a preamp? Direct into PA as a DI? Could I use this in place of an amp? (That was like 3 questions in one)
    2. Will it work as an eq?
    3. Where in a guitar chain would you recommend placing it? I'm thinking of using it at the very end of my signal into the amp.. but maybe it'd work in the effects loop?
    It seems really cool.. I'm hoping I could also use it as a bass DI.

2. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Hey!
    1. Yes, the Colour Box is designed as a studio grade preamp and you can definitely use it as a DI direct into the PA. It won't work like an amp simulator though. It is meant to sound like you are plugging directly into the console.
    2. The 3 band EQ is excellent.
    3. The placing it at front of the chain works great if you want to use it like a drive/fuzz pedal, otherwise for tone shaping and as a DI it works best at the end.
    It's also great with bass. It's how I'd personally use it with my bass.
    -Noel

3. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

Quick question. I've asked whether it can provide phantom power before (and the answer was no). However, would it be possible for the colour box (or a similar pedal) to pass phantom power from the output xlr to the input xlr?

4. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Thanks a lot for the info..

5. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

See JHS' answers, but in short, yes. An awesome bass playing friend of mine uses a CB to great effect in his rig and really loves it, from tone-shaping and DI capabilities to raunchy fuzz and everything in between.