JHS Double Barrel review/content

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Jan 23, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

I was able to run one of these through the paces last night and was rather pleasantly surprised. I'm not a huge fan of JHS cause they seem to be hipster popular right now which makes them overpriced IMO.

But this I got used for a great deal that made sense to give it a shot.

That Morning Glory circuit definitely has something special happening. I've been rolling through the blues breaker's over the last few months and this one, for my rig, and my playing, has got the magic. It brings a snap and life to the notes that other pedals lack. It's subtle, but beautiful. Single coil bliss.

The ts808 side isn't as enlightening an experience, but it certainly is a strong enough player to replace my stock ts808. The tweaks to the bass and fullness elevates it above my ts808. I used the Ibanez primarily as a solo boost. This one is serviceable as both a boost and a dirty rhythm sound. I always found the Ibanez a bit thin for rhythm.

I don't stack OD's often, and I'm still experimenting with this pedal as such. Just the concept of being able to switch the order of the circuits is cool (though I don't think it really makes THAT big of a difference overall). I tend to set it and leave it. Less is more. This pedal has allowed me to replace probably three separate pedals for different gain stages on my board. For now...I like that (until I get sick of it and want more options haha).

Dangit that MG tone is inspiring.

Play on.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    LordByron likes this.
  2. feet

feet Supporting Member

i want to say the double barrel is somehow overlooked or underrated, given my luck trying to sell it over the years. :)

it was a mainstay for a long time before i went a different route and now its found a home on my non-vox board. the mg side does that warm toaster sound with slight breakup and the 808 side is sort of a less compressed marshall sound. quite useful once understood and utilized properly. its great in front of the clean channel of my high wattage amp, as i can get a little breakup to a nice rock sound without hurting myself and its a different sound than the super gain-y channel. handy for good in between sounds or to spice up the drab clean channel of a high gain amp, which tend to lack interesting cleans and light-mid gain options.

3. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

To be fair, most other dual overdrive/boost pedal of this nature from JHS's peers and/or competitors all cost significantly less.

For instance:
    Mojo Hand Rook Royale - $230
    Xotic AC/BB+ - $225
    Jetter Gold Standard - $250
    Wampler Dual Fusion - $255
    Menatone Fish Factory - $250
    Barber Dual Discrete - $250

So for the category the Double Barrel falls into, yeah...it's a little steep.

LordByron likes this.
  4. mikemcca

mikemcca Member

Loved the sound of the MG. Could never dial in the 808 as well as I could on my friend's East River Drive from EHX.

5. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Morning glory is great. 808 is average.

Wish I could have tried that stateline

6. joemail75

joemail75 Member

why anyone would pay for one of these (or any pedal) brand new is beyond me. money to burn, i guess.

7. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

To be fair I have always charged $315 for this pedal and it has been around fro almost 6 years, way before hipsters bought it. Thanks for the kind words, Im glad to know you like it!

8. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

To be fair....yeah, I didn't say it was a bad pedal, though honestly I'm not a big TS fan and I also didn't fall in love immediately with the MG. But considering the rates of similar/equivalent pedals from a number of other manufacturers on par with your company, it would take a lot to convince me it is worth the cost regardless of how long it has cost $315. For me. Then again, I am but a broke, struggling, cynical musician and what do I know?

That being said, Dave Mohr did make it sound quite nice.

9. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

On the other hand, if I had a large amount of spare income, there are certain pedals I'd be willing to shell out a small amount of extra cash for in order to get exactly what I am after. Footprint, jack locations, aesthetics, things like that. Arc Effects Klone v2, for example. The buffer and footprint of that make it worth the extra investment, in my mind. Or some of Brad Fee's new pedals, like the Superlative, where Supro based pedals are sparse.

So in some regard, there is a matter of perspective that affects the perceived value of a given item. In this case though...with so many options out there that can get you there and further than the DB could without sacrificing build and tonal quality...it's a no brainer, I guess.

10. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Did you read the second part?

11. BallaBalla

BallaBalla Member

I love the double barrel, too. MG side is so awesome. 808 is good, I use it as a boost for my JHS Superbolt and the Catalinbread DLS III. These pedals are a great team and sound fantastic with my Rambler.
    All these pedals are insanely expansive in germany (DB 335€, Superbolt 215€, DLS 190€) and prices will go up this year maybe 10-15%, but I got really great deals on these pedals new (40-50% off). So as a broke, struggeling hobby musician I couldn't be happier. I even got the Rambler for the price of a Fender reissue Twin reverb. You don't have to be a lawyer or something to get awesome gear:D
    But I have to say: these products are worth every penny IMO, even without any discount. Considering these are small companies.

12. jsummersett

jsummersett Member

American Strat-JHS Double Barrel-Boss Giga Delay- Bad Cat Black Cat 30
    Sounds good to me.

13. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Fair point Josh. If the market dictates you can sell it for that more power to you.

14. the vox

the vox Member

It is a great pedal. Ultimately I went King of Tone though .

15. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I'm considering a Double Barrel.

What other double pedals exist that feature a BluesBreaker and a Tube Screamer?

16. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Morning Glory is the bees, the 808 is average (IMO). I too wish I had snapped a stateline, though the MG on that was tweaked so not sure if that would have been better not.

17. witafro2

witafro2 Member

If you put the morning glory and the super bolt in a single enclosure with the graphic being a coffee mug with a bolt on it and you called it the morning bolt I would buy it in a heart beat

UrbanHymns likes this.