JHS Double Barrel users

jcs

My Double Barrel is a V3.

Are you folks stacking one or both sides of the DB into other OD pedals or OD pedals into the DB?

I am preferring my cheapo Danelectro TOD v1 (Timmy copy) & v2 into the Morning Glory mainly but the TS808 side sounds good too this way.

However the TS808 side does not clean as well as the Morning Glory side with the guitar volume.

Any suggestions for my others stacking with the Double Barrel?

TS9
TurboRat
Red FF with germanium
YJM308 (DOD 250 type)
EH Double Muff
Ibanez 60's Fuzz

This is mainly into my 73 Carlsbro 60TC (think Hiwatt meets Vox meets Marshall) which is a sparkly clean with giant Drake trannys at high plate volts (500 pv) with more of a Hiwatt sort of roar when pushed.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
I never really liked how it sounds when stacked with itself. I have it set so the 808 goes into the mg, but they are mainly used separately. One thing you could try is setting one side as a boost, with the vol up and gain down.

When I would boost the pedals, I preferred to use something transparent(ish), to retain the flavor but add more. Clean boosts, treble boosters and the like.

I like the double barrel most when it boosts an amp, then when other pedals boost it and lastly, when it boosts other pedals (or itself). I tend to see it at two flavors in one box rather than a three stages boost/od. Just my thoughts.

jcs

I never really liked how it sounds when stacked with itself. I have it set so the 808 goes into the mg, but they are mainly used separately. One thing you could try is setting one side as a boost, with the vol up and gain down.

When I would boost the pedals, I preferred to use something transparent(ish), to retain the flavor but add more. Clean boosts, treble boosters and the like.

I like the double barrel most when it boosts an amp, then when other pedals boost it and lastly, when it boosts other pedals (or itself). I tend to see it at two flavors in one box rather than a three stages boost/od. Just my thoughts.
I tend to agree.....

I was rather curious how many stacked with itself......I haven't been able to use it effectively in this manner, but those who do, what are typical settings?

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
I'm one of the few it seems that likes the 808 side of the DB. But I use it at a fairly moderate gain. And I like that it's not quite as mid-heavy as a normal 808. So I have the MG side - very low gain - going into the 808 side - slightly higher gain. But essentially both are just boosting the next thing in the chain....and do it well.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
I was rather curious how many stacked with itself......I haven't been able to use it effectively in this manner, but those who do, what are typical settings?
the boost side would have the gain set as low as possible and the volume as need, tone usually backed off some, as i play a brighter amp. if memory serves more, i thought the 808 boosted a little better, but they are both pretty flavored (to me) which isn't my thing. the mg seems to be kind of a fizzy/fuzzy/sloppy kinda boost, which also isn't my thing.

I'm one of the few it seems that likes the 808 side of the DB. But I use it at a fairly moderate gain. And I like that it's not quite as mid-heavy as a normal 808. So I have the MG side - very low gain - going into the 808 side - slightly higher gain. But essentially both are just boosting the next thing in the chain....and do it well.
i didn't know that it was less mid heavy than a regular 808. i still found it too middy for my voxes. sounds pretty good in front of a marshally sound, though.

personally, i'd rather have something else there than the 808, but they are stuck together so i'm stuck with it. jhs won't mod it, so i dealt with it by running an eq later in the chain to scoop out more mids (i did this for my amp, really, but it helps a lot with the 808, too).

Trending Topics