JHS for drive, lead and crunch?!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Will Nova, May 28, 2015.

1. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Hey guys!
    Is anyone out there using any of the JHS drive pedals?
    Moonshine
    Twin 12
    Superbolt
    Angry Charlie

I'm in the market and like what I've heard on YouTube but wondered if anyone has them on their board ? Thanks!

2. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

Most people here don't like JHS - say his pedals are overpriced or not original designs blah, blah, blah...

I like his pedals, and they cover a wide range of tones. I'd recommend playing some in person, rather than just the YouTube videos, unless you have a professional grade Sound System on your computer.

Also, what do you want? A pedal that will cover Drive, Lead and Crunch? What style of music do you play? Any of those pedals could cover any of those sounds, without knowing more info. How about the Sweet Tea or Double Barrel? They both have an 808(TS style) and the Sweet Tea has a Charlie Brown, the Double Barrel has a Morning Glory. These would both work well for a ryhthm tone with a lead boost

3. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

if you can go for it...i would go and get a sweet tea...(808/Angry charlie)...both great pedals, sound awesome alone, stack really well with each other and with others. tons of tonal options with the two of them

coltonius likes this.
  4. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. Great profile pic too :)
    I'm running clean into a 90s Fender Blues Deluxe and looking to build/drive the tone from there.
    I was thinking of getting a Morning Glory for the rhythm stuff and trying to find something that I could stack on that OR something that would have teeth on its own...
    I like the sound of the twin 12 and the options are nice...
    I'm trying to break away from the TS style only bc I've rocked a modded TS9 for years.
    I'm looking for less drive and more tightness to the crunch.
    I play a bluesy/sonic style. My cover band is doing all the best players- Gilmour,page, Jimi, Edge, so it's gotta have some balls but I'm tired of that old TS9 sound...

5. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Thanks! I see an Analogman King of Tone on your board!! Nice!!
    Would you rate that as much better than the JHS? There's a vid from JHS where they run next to an Analogman

6. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

Andy Timmons is using an Angry Charlie for his lead tones... I admit, I don't know anything about JHS reputation around here, so this is just a cold fact. Hope it helps

7. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Thanks Goldwing! Yeah I'm not too interested in the bashing or claims that folks make. I just want a good sounding pedal.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I'll vote for the Moonshine here. I've got one and am very happy with it!

9. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Nice! Thank you! A few questions:
    Are you running a boost before it? Is your amp clean or dirty? And- did you try out other JHS boost before you picked this one??

10. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

I am definitely partial to AM!! His stuff and all over my board and I think he makes top shelf stuff...having said that I love JHS products and have owned them in the past.

I do happen to prefer the KoT over the JHS...at the time i bought the KoT i had a JHS double barrel and the KoT fit my needs more so I went with that. It really depends on what you are looking for. my KoT is high gain both sides and really is awesome...goes from light od to in your face push distortion. If you heart is set on JHS i would go for the sweat tea...the morning glory for me is WAY to bright and doesn't do 'enough' to justify it having a place on my board. If you are open to other things check out the Analogman KoT.

I have seen that video of the comparison and i do prefer the King of Tone over the JHS in the video and in real life.

11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Angry Charlie is pretty sweet, but the one I have had my eye on and played over and over is the JHS Superbolt. Gorgeous sound! Old Supro tones in a box. Attitude, gain, cleans up and versatile.

12. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I like their pedals and have owned and still use many. The Angry Charlie is incredible at mid to high gain JCM 800 tones. The Charlie Brown is the mid to lower gain model but can still get on up into Plexi style classic rock Marshall tones, or it can be gained down nicely. It's a very versatile pedal. I'd recommend starting there. The Morning Glory can be used for light stuff and it makes for a great clean tone with the gain way down because it adds a beautiful sparkle to the tone. I'd go with those, because you mentioned you wanted tight low end and these will deliver that. The Moonshine I have not owned, but from the clips I've heard I think it has a softer bass response. It always sounds a tad mushy to me. I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just dig their gain pedals a lot.

13. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Just out of mild curiosity... Why would you pay more for the JHS Angry Charlie than for either of the two original MI Audio Crunch Box flavors? Or more for the JHS Superbolt than for the VFE build of the Supreux Deux? And so on....

(I'm assuming that you did a little research on the effects and pricing. If not, you might start considering that kind of thing on your purchases.)

If a copy was less expensive, I could see that decision, but paying more for a copy? I don't get it....

14. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Angry Charlie is not a Crunch Box. They sound completely different and have different controls. Crunch Box was way too bright for me.

guitar29 likes this.
  15. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I own a Charlie Brown which is an absolutely stunning overdrive pedal. Really touch sensitive, great clean up. I also spent some time with the Moonshine and it's another excellent pedal - really fat and juicy.

One of the keys to the Charlie Brown (and therefore I assume the same with the Angry Charlie) is the two tone controls. That makes the tone very adjustable.

16. caiokiss

caiokiss Member

In every topic about the Angry Charlie, someone has to mention the Crunch Box and assume they are the same....

I had both and compared them side by side, they do not sound the same. In my opinion the Angry Charlie sounds much better.

guitar29 likes this.
  17. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

The Superbolt is the one for me as well, it has had a permanent place on my board for a year now, and it also stacks very well if you want.

1973Marshall likes this.
  18. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

the Moonshine is a Tubescreamer. If you're trying to steer away from the TS sound i'd look elsewhere

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

AGREEING 1000% with the responses... For whatever reason you are doing yourself a disservice by comparing JHS models to others. I too can attest the Crunch Box is nothing like the Angry Charlie. Also, the VFE samples sound quite different in a few nuances to the the Superbolt that I've played and craved.

For a board that normally doesn't see a PRS Single Cut to sound like a Gibson Les Paul, and rightfully so, it surprises me that nuances are abondoned with the JHS gear.

Just what I needed to hear.

20. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

NHBluesMan, I'm not disputing that the Moonshine started life as a tubescreamer, but it sounds so different from a normal TS that you're really doing the OP a disservice by your post (IMO).

1973Marshall likes this.