JHS is the McDonalds of boutique pedal makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a great fan of his YT channel. Also dig the idea of putting lots of circuit derivatives in one box but honestly the muffuleta wasnt my thing. Sounded rather mediocre.

Josh is the only pedal builder I've heard who says the chip does not matter. I'm no pedal expert but I can hear a very clear difference when a different chip is used in a drive pedal, etc. And yes I do turn up the gain on my klon past 2 o'clock.

knasky

Just got a Colour Box 2 and it’s fantastic as a recording desk channel strip going into my interface. Definitely not “McDonald’s.”

I also just got a Crayon that I use as a boost, and coupled with a Fuzz Fella I’ve captured an amazing always on, glassy filthy clean edge of breakup tone, with my guitar controls rolled off, that’s my new foundational tone.
I’ll also be using it’s broken recording desk fuzz tone settings - which are super cool too.

So not very Mickey Dees at all so far.

Looking at the rest of JHS’s line up, they definitely seem to take more chances and make niche pedals that other bigger companies wouldn’t do.

I could be wrong regarding the scale of the two companies, but to me JHS is like a much more hip Wampler type of company. Mainstream but catering more to the true connoisseur with more obscure and super cool circuits.

Looking at Josh’s taste in music, it’s obvious to me that he digs and understands post punk and indie and 90’s alternative rock, etc. and that’s 180 degrees from “McDonald’s.”

His design aesthetic is pretty art school as well.

So to me, JHS is mainstream successful at this point, but they definitely have a hipster (for the lack of a better term, and meant as a compliment), alternative, cool music connoisseur, artsy vibe about them.

For the future, I’m looking at getting a cheese ball and clover boost thingy, and his multi-rat thing.

Anyway that’s my not so hot take.
I've been intrigued by the Colour Box 2 for a while. So are you adding cab sims / IRs from within your DAW, or are you running the Colour Box into a cab/sim pedal then into interface?

The fish is a lot smaller on the Filet-O-Fish. Josh has 35 employees and McDonald's sold billions of burgers. It's really not a Big Mac without the special sauce. Not to mention Arby's has the two for $6 still running. My conclusion is JHS is more like Denny's. Kind of a Grand Slam situation.

aldring

Penelope said begets?
Silver Supporting Member
How are you gonna call yourself a pedal snob then talk about your love for Walrus, probably the most generic milquetoast brand in the effects game? While they’re busy pumping out multiple “limited colorway drop” campaigns per year, JHS bypasses those corny pedal snob gimmicks altogether. You say you own 2 JHS pedals and neither are that good to you? As a BB fanatic, the Morning Glory is the best BB I’ve heard other than VFE Blues King, and 85% of the circuits in the Bonsai = some of the most well known and beloved TS circuits and then one of his own design. Condemning the Bonsai is essentially condemning the TS mid-hump sound itself. Did you not know what the Bonsai was when you purchased it?

Anyway, this thread seems a little Mean Girls-y. Josh has done more to shine a light on his competitors than any other business owner I’ve heard of, regardless of industry. Seems all he gets in return for that is weird/misdirected shade from people who aren’t even sure why they dislike him.

Maybe I just get tired of people pretending business owners or youtubers or anyone remotely known in the field or industry never reads negative things about themselves, but I feel a bit embarrassed by threads like this. I can't seem to visit a subreddit or forum where there's not some active JHS-bashing thread that's propped up on the most flimsy of gripes. At some point it has to start messing with his mental health. I've seen people go after him, his looks, his voice, you name it. Years and years of endless criticism and shallow, empty calorie whining from folks looking to inject some more piss and bile into the world I guess?

Not to sound rude (I'm not a tea drinker) but if you end up thinking of an actual reason you dislike JHS, be sure to let the world know.

plaintopper

I like his videos. I like his humor and knowledge. I HATE when videos have indexes and you can’t scroll to exactly where you want on them. If my memory serves, some of his do that but I could be wrong.

As the head of the blues dentist association we tend to favor more obscure unobtainium type of pedals. But I must admit that I like the Double Barrell very much. I also have a spring tank reverb which is never worked reliably. I keep intending to ship that one back to them and have them check it out but I never get around to it.

So overall I give JHS a thumbs up. He put me off a while back with some type of a cause that he publicly took up. That seemed like a very bad move but it was trendy at the moment. So I guess I can forgive him for that.

He should just come out and make an overdrive specifically for the Blues Dentist Community and make it very limited edition because we love that.
The JHS BDC Wicked Driller. It truly grinds out the tone.

How are you gonna call yourself a pedal snob then talk about your love for Walrus, probably the most generic milquetoast brand in the effects game? While they’re busy pumping out multiple “limited colorway drop” campaigns per year, JHS bypasses those corny pedal snob gimmicks altogether. You say you own 2 JHS pedals and neither are that good to you? As a BB fanatic, the Morning Glory is the best BB I’ve heard other than VFE Blues King, and 85% of the circuits in the Bonsai = some of the most well known and beloved TS circuits and then one of his own design. Condemning the Bonsai is essentially condemning the TS mid-hump sound itself. Did you not know what the Bonsai was when you purchased it?

Anyway, this thread seems a little Mean Girls-y. Josh has done more to shine a light on his competitors than any other business owner I’ve heard of, regardless of industry. Seems all he gets in return for that is weird/misdirected shade from people who aren’t even sure why they dislike him.

Maybe I just get tired of people pretending business owners or youtubers or anyone remotely known in the field or industry never reads negative things about themselves, but I feel a bit embarrassed by threads like this. I can't seem to visit a subreddit or forum where there's not some active JHS-bashing thread that's propped up on the most flimsy of gripes. At some point it has to start messing with his mental health. I've seen people go after him, his looks, his voice, you name it. Years and years of endless criticism and shallow, empty calorie whining from folks looking to inject some more piss and bile into the world I guess?

Not to sound rude (I'm not a tea drinker) but if you end up thinking of an actual reason you dislike JHS, be sure to let the world know.
Spot on, except I doubt it messes with his mental health. The guy isn’t successful because everyone hates him. The empty can rattles the most, remember?

I’m looking at 3 of his pedals right now for smaller footprints on pedals with tap tempo.

tracyk

I don't follow the market that much, but if JHS stuff is good enough to be the core tone for Andy Timmons then it's good enough for me. Whenever I get around to putting together a backup/fun rig with a "real" amp instead of my direct modeler rig, I will start with the JHS @+ distortion without a doubt.

twoheadedboy

I like the videos, but I just don't like the pedals. Can't find one I really like the sound of and there's just something kitschy and cheap and tacky about them. It's as though a think-tank got together and said, "How do we make a 'boutique' brand and spread it far and wide?" I say this as someone who likes lots of pedals from bigger builders. I like EQD and Walrus stuff a lot. And no, I'm not being critical of JHS because of the controversy years ago. either. I'm criticizing the company for what I view as mediocre products and kitchy designs. I have a feeling I'm not alone in this perception of JHS. I think they've somehow managed to go mass-market whilst coasting on this "boutique" image. For sure I'm a pedal snob, but there's something just off-putting about JHS. Maybe I'm just being a jerk because I've had several cups of strong earl grey.

Seems like an odd hill to die on.

Guitarworks

Oh, there are JHS Superbolt fans who would put you in a straitjacket and hang you by your ankles upside down over a toilet and give you the swirly of your life for uttering such blasphemy about JHS pedals.

Oh, there are JHS Superbolt fans who would put you in a straitjacket and hang you by your ankles upside down over a toilet and give you the swirly of your life for uttering such blasphemy about JHS pedals.
You mean the JHS slightly modified version of a Run Off Groove Supreaux? Might be a bad example since that’s where all the old controversies started.

Dirty Strings

I’ve never owned, or even tried, a JHS pedal.

I do like some of his videos though.

I want to try the Paul Gilbert drive pedal, mainly because of the cool color scheme of the pedal.

I've been intrigued by the Colour Box 2 for a while. So are you adding cab sims / IRs from within your DAW, or are you running the Colour Box into a cab/sim pedal then into interface?
I’m doing a DI recording set up with a DSM Simplifier Classic, that has its own analog cab sim section.

So pedals into the Simplifier, then Simplifier to the Colour Box, then CB into the interface.

If I had a cab sim pedal I’d run my pedals/preamp into the cab sim unit, then into the Colour Box.

I figure this basic set up should be a good facsimile of a mic’ed rig into a recording desk.
I like getting as good a sound as possible pre DAW so I don’t have to mess with too much EQ’ing/ other plug ins after the fact.

Incidentally I have two H9’s in the Simplifier stereo effects loop, that I run stereo. I often like to print to tape with effects baked in. As such I could use two Colour Boxes, one for each Stereo channel! But in the interest of being economical I’m running a Mono Sum TRS/XLR out to the one Colour Box and then just record each stereo side to two separate tracks, one at a time, then pan in the DAW for the stereo spread I want.

Anyway I’m really finding the CB very useful in this “poor man’s desk” role, and I’d really miss it at this point.

Here’s a post I did on this.

carl_in_vain

*hesitated to respond at all, as I didn’t want to give more attention to what is essentially a sh*tpost*
Was looking for a very particular sort of overdrive and contacted a number of builders. Some didn’t respond at all, some briefly but pleasantly. JHS ended up engaging me in a very helpful and friendly multi email exchange which led to me buying a Moonshine (I’m enough of a snob to make sure I got an older thru hole one, not a new SMD). I’ve never had a pedal click so easily for me before- stuck it on my board, turned it on, and instantly got the sound I wanted.

I bought a modded Dunlop miniwah from them back before they quit selling modded pedals from their site. It came in with the added knobs all wonky. JHS' customer service was a delight to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom