JHS Kilt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Am I the only one who when they sees the graphic thinks this?

[​IMG]

2. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I see that too lol. I also see the Kilt when I look at it a 2nd time - great pedal, great brand.

Like many pedal builders (e.g. Greer), JHS develops cool new stuff while also extending/improving classic designs.

Ribby1 likes this.
  3. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

How's the noise on this thing when gain is low/high?

4. Ribby1

Ribby1 Member

5. Ribby1

Ribby1 Member

Very quiet on crunch, overdrive and distortion mode. When you engage the fuzz G1 up, G2 up things get hairy fast. Volume leaps up and it gets a little noisy. A good power supply keeps it quiet though. Im using a Truetone cs7. The kilt is 2nd in my chain after my tuner.

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

JHS disclosed that the Kilt was a Bixonic Expandora-derivative prior to launch.

7. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

Just because I'm never one to judge completely by internet videos, how is the sound? It sounds very open/grainy on all gain stages, is it any more compressed/smooth in person?

8. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

I didn't mess around with a lot of Tone Knob sweeping, but it is very open-sounding and gritty. I like it.

9. Nota

Nota Member

Easy. Blind tests!

That's not enough. You will still be using your ears, which can mislead you based on bias and what you know. The only real way to have an open mind with hearing is blind tests. I dare ya!

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

True, true. Unfortunately I don't care enough to go looking for a Kilt to compare to my Expandora (nor do I care enough to rebuy the v.2 and v.3 to compare them, since I don't think I ever owned two of them at the same time). I'm happy with the original! And now I have a use for the paperwork and box that somehow got left behind when I sold #3 a decade ago!

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm looking for a pedal to get close to the guitar tone from The Good Life by Three Days Grace. It's a blend of distortion and some fuzz. Three Days Grace use a combination of Diezel amps, the Expandora and other drives. With that being said, can the Kilt get me close? Thanks!!

I gig with Les Paul's through a Budda SuperDrive II 30W 2x12 and many pedals.