JHS Kilt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Killer pedal. I'm pre-ordering one!

2. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

I love the part in the new vid, "we call it forbidden" mode, no mention of the fact, that is what Bixonic calls that mode on their Expandora.

3. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Because it is. Just because its based on something doesn't mean we didn't have to design aspects and make the pedal what it is. This pedal was prototyped about 5 times total till it was perfect as Stu wanted it. It started with what can we do to this circuit to hold all the cool things in place for those who love the original but bend it to have originality. So back on the subject, the Kilt was designed by us and it was about a year process. We build it in Kansas City and are proud that we employee about 16 guys and keep it all in our hands. If that upsets you Im not sure what to say.

iahawk36 likes this.
  4. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Thats what it is? Stu simply states that that is that setting as he used the originals for years.. Why call it anything else?

iahawk36 likes this.
  5. annostyle

annostyle Supporting Member

The Gear Page makes me laugh sometimes. Everyone with a mouse and a keyboard are also 100% qualified pedal designers and historians. When in reality, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Save the cheap gossip for your wives or girlfriends and focus your energy on creating music.

skunx, whitetiger95, Lt Dak and 12 others like this.
  6. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

There'd be nothing to discuss or feed ego's with then....don't you know pedals and their recipes are that gosh darn important!...gosh darn it!..can't everyone understand that!...I'm gonna scream!!

Nice lookin' pedal JHS

7. jordanchristie

jordanchristie Member

Can't wait to try this. It sounds killer! Great work JHS!

8. ChaseTMP

Unless you have a licensing agreement with Bixonic, the "we call that..." to me; comes across as disingenuous, since that was the original manufacturer's term for that setting, not something you and Stu G came up with. I have no issue with clones/inspired by pedals, but appreciate builders being more transparent about the origins of their builds. If the informational video had started out with Stu saying that in developing his signature pedal with you, the collaboration took his favorite aspects of his beloved Expandora, including the original's setting's names and then added features that built upon and improved the original to Stu's discerning ears.

9. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

In point of fact, the fourth dip switch setting isn't listed in the manual or on the original Expandora pedal. I could be wrong, but I believe the term "forbidden mode" was coined by the pedal's users in response to the fact that it wasn't ever mentioned, as if it were a secret. Bixonic only listed it as a setting on the later reissues, so while it's certainly not a term JHS came up with, I'm not sure it's really fair to say that Bixonic did, either.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Lux likes this.
  10. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

If we're taking issue with the term "100% designed," how far do we take it? Do you have to design your own transistors and opamps for a pedal to be 100% your design?

Do you have to avoid a rectangular pedal shape to be 100% designed, because that's been done before?

Or can the design process include "this combination of circuitry has worked well in the past, let's modify that until we achieve our design brief?"

As someone with an electrical engineering degree, I think the last of these positions is fine.

11. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

What kind of guitar is Stu G playing??? Thing looks amazing!

CaseyI likes this.
  12. Ribby1

Ribby1 Member

Yeah veritas. He hasn't had it too long. It's a cross between a jaguar and strat i believe. Anyway, the "kilt" sounds unreal. Need to buy one very soon. For those who don't know stu g's sound, check out Delirious? Investigate or bliss live at the farewell show. He's got is own ep out too. Very versatile guitarist. Can play straight up arena rock or radiohead esque layering. One of the best. Glad he has his own pedal. I like that this pedal is a 4 in one. An od, distortion, boost or fuzz. Might have to get two.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    CaseyI likes this.
  13. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

Are you seeing a different video to me? I see a les paul gold top.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the second vid.

14. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Devi Ever just chuckled.

theonlychrisj likes this.
  15. ChaseTMP

You mean, Grace. She is no longer going by Devi. I was part of the Console Kickstarter debacle and she made a remark in her addressing refunds, that she's going by Grace now.

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

I'd never seen them before. May be the best looking guitars I've ever seen. Each of them looks amazing.

CaseyI and theonlychrisj like this.
  17. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Actually she is back at it under the Effector 13 moniker. Dwarfcraft still has the Devi Ever line though.

18. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

they're all completely hand-made too. and i mean hand MADE not hand assembled. Basically they're everything that TMG originally claimed to be :bonk

CaseyI likes this.
  19. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Supporting Member

20. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

No top jacks??

I'm out. ;)